Filing N400 for citezinship, but name misspelled on GreenCard

rocket121

Registered Users (C)
Hello everyone,

I am desperate for any guidance. I am applying for my citizenship N400. Right when I thought I got it all ready and good to file, I discovered that my last name on my GreenCard is misspelled !!!

for years I have never noticed that until now.

What do I do? Do I proceed with my N400 and indicate this situation in an attachment? Or do I put it on hold and file an I90 for GreenCard name change and wait for that to get resolved first?

Both take a lot of months to get resolved and I don't want to waste unnecessary time

Thank you in advance for your help.

Don't worry about it, that's a common problem and there's no need to file I-90. Just write your correctly spelled name on the N-400 where it asks for your current legal name, and write the incorrect GC name where it asks for the name as displayed on the green card.

You will have to bring another document with your correct name to resolve the discrepancy; normally they will ask for your birth certificate. Or your marriage certificate, if your last name changed due to marriage.

Got my 10 yr card but the residents date was incorrect compared to my 2 yrs conditional card :
Can I file my Citizenship while this is in progress to be corrected by INS ? based on the 2 yrs residency date which is earlier ?

Got my 10 yr card but the residents date was incorrect compared to my 2 yrs conditional card :
Can I file my Citizenship while this is in progress to be corrected by INS ? based on the 2 yrs residency date which is earlier ?

You can apply for citizenship while it's in progress, but you still have to figure out the correct date in order to avoid applying too early. Maybe the 2-year card is wrong and the 10-year card is correct. Have you looked at the date on the approval notice you received with the 2-year card?

INS ceased to exist on March 1, 2003, you are now dealing with 3 DHS agencies: ICE, CBP, and USCIS.

This is within the authority of USCIS.

Thanks BigJoe5 for the correction- INS gone,its now USCIS
Jackolantern, Yes I checked the approval on the 2yr card and strangely the approval letter for the 10 yr is the same with the 2yr card which is correct BUT the card is 4 months off on the later date.