• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2013 DV Australian winners

fferelev and

Hi guys,

Just wondering if there are any other Aussie winners over here who'd like to share their experiences as we go?

Hi Annabelle,

Congratulations to you. I'm also an Aussie selectee. My husband was a selectee last year, in the botched first draw, so it was quite a surprise for one of us to get selected again the following year.

I've sent in my forms. The delivery company said it was delivered on the 2nd of July. When I had called Kentucky earlier to ask a question, they said they were receiving almost 1,000 applications every day! Based on previous years, I reckon our interview will be around February of 2013.

How about you?

Hi Annabelle,

Congratulations to you. I'm also an Aussie selectee. My husband was a selectee last year, in the botched first draw, so it was quite a surprise for one of us to get selected again the following year.

I've sent in my forms. The delivery company said it was delivered on the 2nd of July. When I had called Kentucky earlier to ask a question, they said they were receiving almost 1,000 applications every day! Based on previous years, I reckon our interview will be around February of 2013.

How about you?

Hi Vichel!

Congratulations to you, too. That is wonderful news - still can't believe what happened last year and I must admit I was a little nervous when I was selected this year that it would happen again. Great news for your husband and you.

I sent in my forms straight away, emailed KCC a few weeks later to confirm their receipt and they emailed me back on May 25 to tell me they had my forms and were processing them. 1,000 applications a day?! That's crazy. Based on previous years, I think my interview will be around November of this year. Fingers crossed, because I'm getting so impatient!

Any idea where you'll head once you have your GC?

Gamon. sholoyme

Hi Vichel!

Congratulations to you, too. That is wonderful news - still can't believe what happened last year and I must admit I was a little nervous when I was selected this year that it would happen again. Great news for your husband and you.

I sent in my forms straight away, emailed KCC a few weeks later to confirm their receipt and they emailed me back on May 25 to tell me they had my forms and were processing them. 1,000 applications a day?! That's crazy. Based on previous years, I think my interview will be around November of this year. Fingers crossed, because I'm getting so impatient!

Any idea where you'll head once you have your GC?

Wow, November! That's really soon. I can see how you'd be impatient. I suppose you're busy getting all your paperwork prepared. From what I can gather, looking at past Visa Bulletins, we'll be interviewed January or February.

We're not 100% sure where we're heading. We have friends in San Diego so we'll likely head there first, as a base, then go from there. California's great but expensive with high taxes & property prices so we'll be doing our research over the next few months to find a better place. Affordability and jobs is the key. How about you?

Wow, November! That's really soon. I can see how you'd be impatient. I suppose you're busy getting all your paperwork prepared. From what I can gather, looking at past Visa Bulletins, we'll be interviewed January or February.

We're not 100% sure where we're heading. We have friends in San Diego so we'll likely head there first, as a base, then go from there. California's great but expensive with high taxes & property prices so we'll be doing our research over the next few months to find a better place. Affordability and jobs is the key. How about you?

California is lovely, and San Diego in particular. What a great city! I suppose we get lots of time to research and it's all quite exciting and fun to think about :)

I actually lived in New York City from 2010 - 2011. Came back last year and I've been missing it so terribly, so I'm very lucky and thankful to have been selected. I'll be heading back there! The next few months are going to be a mad rush to save enough money. I probably won't end up heading over until late March.

shown, itchdan

California is lovely, and San Diego in particular. What a great city! I suppose we get lots of time to research and it's all quite exciting and fun to think about :)

I actually lived in New York City from 2010 - 2011. Came back last year and I've been missing it so terribly, so I'm very lucky and thankful to have been selected. I'll be heading back there! The next few months are going to be a mad rush to save enough money. I probably won't end up heading over until late March.

Yes, there's something particularly amazing about NYC. You either love it or you hate it. I love it but not sure I could live in such a huge city, I prefer smaller ones. But never say never! It might be expensive to rent/buy there but you wouldn't need a car and we found food prices to be cheaper than Oz. Not sure about the other costs, like utilities, insurance, etc. It's an exciting city though. We'll definitely be going back for visits - so much handier when one lives in the US!

We doubt we'll be in San Diego long-term. We'd like to look at other states with lower taxes. The taxes in the US are a confusing maze. You have to consider federal, state and local taxes and they seem to be different for various forms of income. California's property prices are high, and their property tax is high, with no discounts (homesteader's allowances) like other states. So we'll see. We'll be doing our research as well, while we wait. The next 6 or 7 months will seem so looooooooong!

All the best to you and everyone!

Congrats, guys!
I'm also a selectee from Australia!!!
I'm expecting my interview to be around May next year! :D

Hey mushy11 - Congratulations! It's exciting, isn't it? :D

Annabelle: No, I haven't done much about that other than look at the list online of what we need. I've got all those basic personal documents handy - always have.

The only ones that are something I'll have to educate myself more about are the Medicals and the Police Checks. I've found out where I have to go for the Medical test. I've read something about not getting the Police Checks done too early, so I have to figure out the timing of that. Especially since I'm living in Canada now and have to get the Aussie one from here - hope that won't be a problem! I'll have to search for the posts on this forum that talks about that. There's so much here that I read stuff but don't really digest it.

How about you? Your interview is coming up soon eh? So you're probably scrambling already :D

Hey guys, thought I'd join in this one. I'm a selectee and just waiting for my interview. My case number is in the 400's so hopefully it's in November. Anyone got a lower case number?

All hail the Flying Spaghetti Monster (and one for Jebus, too).

Hey guys, thought I'd join in this one. I'm a selectee and just waiting for my interview. My case number is in the 400's so hopefully it's in November. Anyone got a lower case number?

All hail the Flying Spaghetti Monster (and one for Jebus, too).

Hey cbp1980!

Good to hear from another Aussie. I'm aso in the (high) 400's so I'm hoping for November too, although this year's October cut-off seemed a lot lower than last? I'd be interested to hear from an Aussie with a lower case number, too. It'd be cool to hear how the interview goes!

I went to the USA on a J1 visa in 2010 and the interview was quick and super easy. Weren't interested in my funds - though obviously the stakes are much higher here.

Can't wait for next month's bulletin!!!

Living in the US

Hey Guys,

I actually won last year and have gone through the whole experience and am now living in new york. My interview was late November and my number was low 300's, must be different this year- let me know if you have any questions!!!

Hey Guys,

I actually won last year and have gone through the whole experience and am now living in new york. My interview was late November and my number was low 300's, must be different this year- let me know if you have any questions!!!

Hi Katestar00,

According to the visa bulletin they're going just a tad slower so far this year, but I'd be surprised if they don't get to the 400s in November or December.

At your interview, were you asked to provide bank statements, affidavits of support etc? A friend of mine was in last year's program and I don't think he was asked for any of that. He handed his forms over, got asked if he had kids or a girlfriend and was sent on his way.

I will be watching how the Aussies go this year with everything crossed for you! Such a pity there don't seem to be as many (well at least not as many as last year on here).

Warm wishes

Q

Hi Katestar00,

According to the visa bulletin they're going just a tad slower so far this year, but I'd be surprised if they don't get to the 400s in November or December.

At your interview, were you asked to provide bank statements, affidavits of support etc? A friend of mine was in last year's program and I don't think he was asked for any of that. He handed his forms over, got asked if he had kids or a girlfriend and was sent on his way.

Hi! No, I was actually shocked how easy it was after stressing for so many months! I came with all my financials and they told me they didn't want to see it, as the visa allows me to get a job so it doesn't matter... You can take them but they won't look at them, not in Sydney at least...good luck!

Hi! No, I was actually shocked how easy it was after stressing for so many months! I came with all my financials and they told me they didn't want to see it, as the visa allows me to get a job so it doesn't matter... You can take them but they won't look at them, not in Sydney at least...good luck!

So nice to hear that, Kate! And many congrats on your success and your new life in the US :D

Except, no matter how many times I read how easy it went for all the previous successful interviewees, I still worry and stress. I'm sure we all do! Can't help it. I suppose we worry there's always an exception, or that we get a grumpy consular officer or .... something else goes wrong, no idea what but we worry nevertheless :eek: I suppose it's the whole luck thing - being selected out of so many applications for a visa that's so crazily easy. And weird. How many other countries give out permanent residency to people whose names get basically picked out of a hat?

Then the waiting also adds to the stress. From the initial application period to the May 1st announcement of selectees. Then the wondering whether they've processed our applications and the wait til the Visa Bulletin for the first round of case numbers. All that, over so many months, makes us imagine all sorts of worries and concerns that aren't really there. Therefore, it's so great to hear of successful Green Card winners' experiences assuring us it's so straightforward and easy. It makes my mind rest easier, a little bit :D. Thank you.

I will be watching how the Aussies go this year with everything crossed for you! Such a pity there don't seem to be as many (well at least not as many as last year on here).

Warm wishes

Q

Thanks, Qewty. Your posts are always so warm and encouraging. I hope you do stick around and watch how things go. It wouldn't feel as nice without you!

Perhaps there aren't as many who are pursuing the visa after getting selected (due to worry about the state of things in the US) - hence your chances of a second draw, and getting picked yourself would increase! I hope that comes about for you. All the best!

I echo this. I was a DV2010 selectee and went to the consulate with a whole stack of documents - all for nothing as they didn't want to see any financial documents.