• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Have you received your plastic green card?

dis66

Registered Users (C)
This question applies for the DV-2012 winners who already immigrated to USA.

Have you received your plastic green card? If yes, how long after POE?
I am 3 weeks in the USA and haven't received any welcome letter or my green card yet.

Our welcome letters were received in the beginning of this week and my green card has arrived in the post.

Our welcome letters were received in the beginning of this week and my green card has arrived in the post.

Ice Queen, I can see your SSN arrived in a matter of days, did u have to visit a social security office after arrival or they just sent u the number automatically after entry into the US?

Ice Queen, I can see your SSN arrived in a matter of days, did u have to visit a social security office after arrival or they just sent u the number automatically after entry into the US?

Although the immigration officer at the airport told us we don't need to go to the SSN offices, we thought it best to go apply on our own. We did the process on the Thursday if I am not mistaken and by Monday mine arrived. My husbands' arrived on Tuesday and my daughters' on Thursday.

Grats man, wish you best of luck with your new life.

Is the Green card you received valid for 10 years ?

Today I received a welcome notice in my mail.
Now I can track my case online with USCIS. So far so good.

Just be patient

Today I received a welcome notice in my mail.
Now I can track my case online with USCIS. So far so good.

Just be patient, it will arrive in ur mail, once u ve received welcome letter, surely ur green card is on its way to u shortly. I waited for exactly one month for mine to arrive. Just wait, dont bother to track it online.

It took around 4 weeks to receive the welcome notice. Green card arrived around a week after that. SSNs never arrived.

I received my Card yesterday!! That took exactly 1 month to get it! :)

Does anyone have experience of being offered a job before the GC/SSN arrives? I have to hope the HR Department of my new employer won't find it too sketchy to allow me to start working.

John Locke

Does anyone have experience of being offered a job before the GC/SSN arrives? I have to hope the HR Department of my new employer won't find it too sketchy to allow me to start working.

It will be tricky esp before u get your SSN. This is because the employer has to deduct taxes from your paycheck and to effect this he/she needs your SSN. The only way out is to check with your local Social Sec office to see if your application for a number was approved. If it was approved they can print you a letter showing your number and this can be used before you get your SS card in the mail. For GC, the endorsed Immigrant Visa on your passport is good enough!!
Good Luck!

It took around 4 weeks to receive the welcome notice. Green card arrived around a week after that. SSNs never arrived.

Wow, I should have read that earlier. I've been waiting for my SSN all this time, when I should've just gone to the nearest office. Predictable really - getting the DV has felt like a struggle rather than a process.

This question applies for the DV-2012 winners who already immigrated to USA.

Have you received your plastic green card? If yes, how long after POE?
I am 3 weeks in the USA and haven't received any welcome letter or my green card yet.

For me, it took 26 days to receive the official GC after POE.