When to Apply

AshvinKPatel

Registered Users (C)
My spouse is finishing 4 years and 9 months after GC but there was 10 days back home (out of USA) trip. So should we have to count 10 days also in 4 years and 9 months ?

No, short absences (visits) abroad do not affect your filing period. By the way, it is 5 years MINUS 90 days, not 4 years and 9 months. Don't make the mistake of applying even 1 day early, as if this is noticed, you will be rejected, which could happen at the interview, so you would have wasted a lot of time and money. Wait a few extra days past the 5 years minus 90 days (make it 80 days, maybe), just to be sure.

No, short absences (visits) abroad do not affect your filing period. By the way, it is 5 years MINUS 90 days, not 4 years and 9 months. Don't make the mistake of applying even 1 day early, as if this is noticed, you will be rejected, which could happen at the interview, so you would have wasted a lot of time and money. Wait a few extra days past the 5 years minus 90 days (make it 80 days, maybe), just to be sure.

Agree with cafeconleche on this. Leave at least a 7 or 10 day grace period and apply about 80 days prior to your 5th year anniversary.

I read about many cases being rejected just because of one day or two days early filing.

Hi

IS THERE ANY SITE WILL TELL US DATE TO FILE. I have seen USCIS link but do not have. If you have please give me.

Date of Application ?

So what will be date USCIS consider ? Date of mailling or date of received N-400 ? or Date of entry N-400 application in System ? I am sending my spouse application after one week of 4 years and 9 month comes from above USICIS date calculate website.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's the date that you mail it. They make repeated mentions to the "filing date", which is the date that you mail it. This is how the IRS considers your taxes to be on time, for example, by the date that it's postmarked (mailed)

However, if you're worried about whether it's this date or that date a few days later, that means you're cutting it too close, in my opinion.