switch my B1/B2 visa to student visa

petra1234

hi everyone !

my friend in USA on B1/B2 visa entered USA on oct 1st 2011 , and his visa valid till 2015 ! Now he decided to study here and change his visa to student ?

HE suppose to extend his stay last week but he didnt do it . so the six months are already up ! you think they will be any issue with that ?

thank you for your help !

They are very restrictive with changes of status from B1/B2 to F1, and changing to F1 status (or any other nonimmigrant status) is not allowed unless the change of status was filed before the previous status expired. His B1/B2 status has expired and the visa is invalidated due to the overstay, so he is not eligible for a change of status. He must leave the US and apply at a consulate for the F1 visa.

They are very restrictive with changes of status from B1/B2 to F1, and changing to F1 status (or any other nonimmigrant status) is not allowed unless the change of status was filed before the previous status expired. His B1/B2 status has expired and the visa is invalidated due to the overstay, so he is not eligible for a change of status. He must leave the US and apply at a consulate for the F1 visa.

thank you jackolantern for you INFO !

Just an observation. This thread's topic says "Switch my B1/B2....", though the first post starts off with "my friend in USA...."?