passport got ARC 407,can i go out

DD2003

Registered Users (C)
hello everyone,
let me 1st brief my case
Because of my studies i need to move in and out of US,which I was doing legally, now I have completed my course in my home country and have come here for good, even giving exams for my further studies.
But this time when i entered US last year immigration person stamped my passport with ARC which i dint see at that time, now when i came back this year, they stamped my passport with 407/rep adv ( advise to surrender green card),

Now i am in the US for about 6months and need to go back to home country for some personal work,just for 15days, so wondering can I go? I am afraid that when I'll come back they might keep my Green Card.

and my personal work is too very important.

and if I am going to some other country will this 407 create any problem in my re-entry?

please help

hello everyone,
let me 1st brief my case
Because of my studies i need to move in and out of US,which I was doing legally, now I have completed my course in my home country and have come here for good, even giving exams for my further studies.
But this time when i entered US last year immigration person stamped my passport with ARC which i dint see at that time, now when i came back this year, they stamped my passport with 407/rep adv ( advise to surrender green card),

Now i am in the US for about 6months and need to go back to home country for some personal work,just for 15days, so wondering can I go? I am afraid that when I'll come back they might keep my Green Card.

and my personal work is too very important.

and if I am going to some other country will this 407 create any problem in my re-entry?

please help

REP = Reentry Permit

You were advised to file an I-131 to get a REP which protects LPR status for up to 2 years at a time. IF you don't get one they will try to strip your card in the future for another long trip abroad.

REP = Reentry Permit

You were advised to file an I-131 to get a REP which protects LPR status for up to 2 years at a time. IF you don't get one they will try to strip your card in the future for another long trip abroad.

Thanks for the reply
sorry i forgot to mention that i previously took 2 REP for 2-2 yrs both. so now still can i file for another REP? and even for 15-20days should I file it?

No, not for a short trip like that. If in future you plan to take long trips, you'd have to apply for one, but chances of getting one are lower now after your extended time abroad. Do you intend to stay mostly in the US until you apply for citizenship? Then you should be fine.

ARC just means Alien Registration Card (GC), which they routinely stamp on LPR passports.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, not for a short trip like that. If in future you plan to take long trips, you'd have to apply for one, but chances of getting one are lower now after your extended time abroad. Do you intend to stay mostly in the US until you apply for citizenship? Then you should be fine.

ARC just means Alien Registration Card (GC), which they routinely stamp on LPR passports.

One last item. 407 refers to form I-407 which is used in order to document relinquishment/abandonment of LPR status. The actual form appears to have lapsed as an official form but the State Department still has unofficial version on various websites.

yes i will be here for most of the time. and i need to go to home country but i am afraid that when ill come back they will keep my gc :( and wont let me enter again

One last item. 407 refers to form I-407 which is used in order to document relinquishment/abandonment of LPR status. The actual form appears to have lapsed as an official form but the State Department still has unofficial version on various websites.

so would it be a problem for me ? i mean cant i visit my home country untill unless i establish my self here?

so would it be a problem for me ? i mean cant i visit my home country untill unless i establish my self here?

Given your long absences, additional travel back to the home country even for brief visits in the short term is not a good idea. Specifically, any long trips anywhere will be very problematic until you firmly reestablish yourself in the U.S. That said, a weekend across the border or a short cruise would not be viewed the same way or be problematic.