Form i-693

unique376

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I applied for my wife's adjustment of status from F-1 to LPR who is currently 4 moths pregnant. We are unable to get any previous vaccination record from her home country and she cant take any vaccines due to pregnancy and the civil surgeon stated on the vaccine page that vaccination is contraindicated and left everything else blank. We received a letter in the mail saying that i-693 is incomplete and application wont be accepted till its complete.
Can anyone please help as what to do in this situation? thanks.

Sorry, nothing really. Wait till the child is born. Sometimes they used to allow you to bring the completed form to the interview however apparently they did not use that discretion in your case. Perhaps you can change her status to B1/B2 until she delivers if ur worried she will fall out of status.

Last edited by a moderator:
but what does they mean by telling us to complete the form i-693? Wouldnt there be ways around to get by since pregnancy is such a common thing.?

The CDC (Centers for Disease Control) instructs Physicians on these procedures and it appears that the Dr. did not complete the paperwork correctly.

see: http://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugee...ion-civil-technical-instructions.html#changes

Here is a small excerpt:

General contraindications for the administration of a vaccine include:

Severe (anaphylactic) allergic reaction to a vaccine component or following a prior dose of a vaccine
Severely immunocompromised conditions that contraindicate receiving live attenuated vaccines, notably MMR, varicella, and intranasal influenza vaccines
Pregnancy as a contraindication for receiving live attenuated vaccines for MMR, varicella, and intranasal influenza
Encephalopathy not due to another identifiable cause as a contraindication if it occurs within 7 days of pertussis vaccination.

The following conditions are not contraindications for the administration of a vaccine:

Mild to moderate local reactions to a previous dose of vaccine
Mild acute illness (e.g., low-grade fever, upper respiratory infection, diarrhea)
Recovering from an illness
Pregnancy for receiving Td, Tdap, inactivated influenza, or hepatitis B vaccine
Breastfeeding
Antimicrobial therapy
Tuberculin skin testing.

Some precautions to vaccination include:

Moderate to severe acute illness
Any of the following after a previous dose of DTP or DTaP:
Fever ≥40.5° C (≥105° F) that is not attributed to another identifiable cause and occurs within 48 hours after vaccination
Collapse or shock-like state (that is, a hypotonic-hyporesponsive episode), occurring within 48 hours after vaccination
Persistent, inconsolable crying lasting 3 hours or more, occurring within 48 hours after vaccination
Convulsions with or without fever, occurring within 3 days after vaccination.

In general, vaccines are deferred when a precaution condition is present. If the decision to defer a vaccine is made, the precaution condition should be recorded as a medical condition and the "Contraindication" waiver box on Form I-693 must be checked.

USCIS has further info and links at: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=288a0a5659083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

Sorry, nothing really. Wait till the child is born. Sometimes they used to allow you to bring the completed form to the interview however apparently they did not use that discretion in your case. Perhaps you can change her status to B1/B2 until she delivers if ur worried she will fall out of status.

They won't allow switching to B1/B2 right after an attempted AOS filing. However, if she is still enrolled in school, she may be able to get a medical exemption to keep her F1 status with a reduced class load or avoid classes altogether for a semester. Although with the summer break approaching that may be unnecessary, since she doesn't have to attend class in the summer break and she might give birth before the fall semester.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are unable to get any previous vaccination record from her home country ...

She had to give vaccination records in order to obtain the F1 visa and enroll in classes. The college she attends may have the records. Contact their international student office.