Help with the letter explaining why I went to COP. I need it for the N-400 interview.

alum123456

Registered Users (C)
I have this 2 variations in mind. Which one do you think is better? Feel free to suggest revisions. Thanks!

To Whom it May Concern:

I, Full Name, went for my grandfather's wake to COP in July of 2008. He helped raise me. I felt it was more important to be there for my grandfather than my fear of persecution.
I decided that the the risk of persecution was low since I have not been in COP for over 2.5 years and was going to refrain from any religious activities.

Sincerely,

_________________________ ________________
Name Date

To Whom it May Concern:

I, Full Name, went for my grandfather's wake to COP in July of 2008. He helped raise me. I felt it was more important to be there for my grandfather than my fear of persecution.

Sincerely,

_________________________ ________________
Name Date

Even if it isn't requested beforehand, it is sometimes brought up at the interview (my mom's is an example). It's good that you'll be prepared instead of the possibility of having to go in for another interview or wait for an RFE to send it in. The first one looks good. Take a death certificate if possible, or something else from the hospital/doctor explaining that this was indeed the case. Have your letter notarised. Remember, they might not even bother asking you about this, so don't be too worried.

Do not wory too much

I just had my N400 interview last week. Just like other 75% of aplicants who went to COP prior to naturalization, the officer didn't raise any question about it. She even READ that section in my aplication which explained that I went back to COP ... yes she clearly read it 3 times out loud to me when she was going through my aplication, but she simply went skipping it without question.

Preparation is good but do not worry too much! Here's the hint; if you arrived and passed the immigration at the POE smoothly and you only made the trip to COP once (not multiple times), fat chance they are not going to ask you anything.

Hi
i just recently became a LRP and got my GC in hand. I want to travel to my COP cuz my God mother is suffering of cancer and she has very limited time.i Want to go there for a month or 1.5months just once until i become a citizen . Do u think its safe for me to go and come back to US without any problem?
Do u think that they can stop me at the POE take my GC put me in detention and reopen my case and put me in removal proceedings ?
Please help im really worried.

Hi
i just recently became a LRP and got my GC in hand. I want to travel to my COP cuz my God mother is suffering of cancer and she has very limited time.i Want to go there for a month or 1.5months just once until i become a citizen . Do u think its safe for me to go and come back to US without any problem?
Do u think that they can stop me at the POE take my GC put me in detention and reopen my case and put me in removal proceedings ?
Please help im really worried.

Has a long period of time passed since you fled?

Was asylum pending a LONG time?

Is it safe?

Have things changed for the better there (for people such as yourself)?

These are things that the DHS Officers will wonder about even if they don't ask you outright so it is good to ask and answer them for yourself.

The simple answer is that there is no simple answer.

It also depends on whether you're the primary or derivative asylee. A primary asylee would get more scrutiny, but most probably only at the citizenship interview. At the POE, it is highly unlikely that you would be questioned (specifically about your COP). You would be traveling with your COP passport (traveling on an RTD or RP to your COP would probably give you trouble there, not in the US) and your GC, so it will most likely be a regular entry into the US. Keep evidence of the reason for your trip (letter form hospital, etc.) in-case you are questioned. If you don't have much to fear on a short trip to your COP, then you generally needn't worry about the US giving you trouble. If your reasons are compelling, and you can prove it, then there's a good chance you will be ok. Either way, think about it, and exercise caution and common sense.