• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV entries statistics

jayo2k

Registered Users (C)
Hello, maybe it has allready been answered but me do not know.
When the computer select the "winners", do they selects 100 000 winners + deriviatives or just 100 000 peoples including deriviatives? I know for the visa issuances, they give 50 000 total visa (winners & deriviatives) but when it comes to selection, is it only winner or winners + deriviatives?
thanks

It has never been published. However, a lot of people agree that 100,000 includes dependents. Just because too much excess of applicants for visas versus visas available is too much.

Hello, maybe it has allready been answered but me do not know.
When the computer select the "winners", do they selects 100 000 winners + deriviatives or just 100 000 peoples including deriviatives? I know for the visa issuances, they give 50 000 total visa (winners & deriviatives) but when it comes to selection, is it only winner or winners + deriviatives?
thanks

@Jayo2k,i think selection is for winner only, after winning, the principal applicant can include his/her spouse in their visa processing cos the principal applicant is always the one being selected.But failure to list your spouse and every member of the family who are unmarried below 21 years old will result to disqualification of the principal applicant and refusal of all visa issuance as at the time of the case at the interview.
Note:not every initial applicants being selected will have visa cos it until the 50,000 visas is given out,then the program will be ended september 30th if i maybe right about this? www.immig-chicago.com/pages/DV/DV or www.dvlottery.state.gov/WebHelp/com

Last edited by a moderator:
@Jayo2k,i think selection is for winner only, after winning, the principal applicant can include his/her spouse in their visa processing cos the principal applicant is always the one being selected.But failure to list your spouse and every member of the family who are unmarried below 21 years old will result to disqualification of the principal applicant and refusal of all visa issuance as at the time of the case at the interview.
Note:not every initial applicants being selected will have visa cos it until the 50,000 visas is given out,then the program will be ended september 30th if i maybe right about this? www.immig-chicago.com/pages/DV/DV or www.dvlottery.state.gov/WebHelp/com

I think you're right, If I remember correctly, last year during the may 1st fiasco, the spokeman said that 22k people were wrongly notified of their selection, then the interviewer said that there is more than 22k because of their familly & the spokeman said yes, 22k + their famillies... that means more than 50% of selectees do no get the visa since there are always some visas remaining from the initial 50k

I think you're right, If I remember correctly, last year during the may 1st fiasco, the spokeman said that 22k people were wrongly notified of their selection, then the interviewer said that there is more than 22k because of their familly & the spokeman said yes, 22k + their famillies... that means more than 50% of selectees do no get the visa since there are always some visas remaining from the initial 50k
Glad to see some forumites coming back on board after some short break on our DV2013 thread cos May 1st is just around the corner.DV2013 would soon become a boiling point after May 1st results.

Ahjcgh

22K - tha was entries, not family members. 100K - that is with family members, no entries.

22K - tha was entries, not family members. 100K - that is with family members, no entries.

That seems correct. I have seen a DV briefing in the past where it was mentioned that the 100,000 selectees are inclusive of derivatives and the 50,000 allocated visas will be with derivatives.
So in my understanding it’s a total of 100,000 that get selected. With regards to the 22K story according to DOS these were the total people who checked their entries at that time and before DOS pulled the plug on the ESC site around 12 -15 days later.
Considering that the full quota of visas is never used and the above 22K issue it looks evident that many of those selected may never had checked the results which leads me to believe that there are many casual applicants to this lottery (me too initially it was just a casual entry!)
Therefore it may be in the best interests of those real keen applicants that a 30 $ propose entry charge kicks in from DV 2014. Looks very likely considering the second reduction in the DV visa fees!

That seems correct. I have seen a DV briefing in the past where it was mentioned that the 100,000 selectees are inclusive of derivatives and the 50,000 allocated visas will be with derivatives.
So in my understanding it’s a total of 100,000 that get selected. With regards to the 22K story according to DOS these were the total people who checked their entries at that time and before DOS pulled the plug on the ESC site around 12 -15 days later.
Considering that the full quota of visas is never used and the above 22K issue it looks evident that many of those selected may never had checked the results which leads me to believe that there are many casual applicants to this lottery (me too initially it was just a casual entry!)
Therefore it may be in the best interests of those real keen applicants that a 30 $ propose entry charge kicks in from DV 2014. Looks very likely considering the second reduction in the DV visa fees!

Yes, & the fact that the DV is free lead any people to cheat (the phone book thing, ultiple entries)... & since many people never go forward with the process that mean a good amount of them just play the lottery just for the sake of playing thus reducing the chances of "real" applicants... The $30 fees will be great for serious applicants because it will conciderably lower the number of registry... Some says that It will eliminate the poor from entering... well, if you can't pay $30 for entry, what makes you think you would be able to pay $330 for the visa + showing a good amount of money in your account?
The $30 will increase serious applicants chance, hope it takes effect for the next DV

Yes, & the fact that the DV is free lead any people to cheat (the phone book thing, ultiple entries)... & since many people never go forward with the process that mean a good amount of them just play the lottery just for the sake of playing thus reducing the chances of "real" applicants... The $30 fees will be great for serious applicants because it will conciderably lower the number of registry... Some says that It will eliminate the poor from entering... well, if you can't pay $30 for entry, what makes you think you would be able to pay $330 for the visa + showing a good amount of money in your account?
The $30 will increase serious applicants chance, hope it takes effect for the next DV

@Jayo2k you don't judge applicants base on not to pay for $30 fee for a DV program which we all know that its a lottery with no guarantee of winning or a thing of luck to win.
Anyway its the usa governmental program and its there own game and can run it the way or whatever way they want it but mind you any introduction of $30 fee would reduce some second and many third world countries from participating in the lottery if converted the $30 to their local currencies.
The issue of $30 is still an illicit issue that is yet to be past or approved by house which i think will never going to be approved or past by the house ever since the recession of america and global crunch hitting the world.Do you know what $30 means to some third world countries?or maybe its a way or criterial to decline some of these third world countries from participating in the lottery which i doubt.

Yeah May 1st they draw 100,000 selectees. This is spread though the various regions. They know in some areas many selectees will fail to qualify for a visa, usually do to educational needs, sometimes because they have some history that makes them inadmissable to the US. Starting with the lowest numbers they do the interviews which continue until the country hits it's personal cap, the region hits it's cap, all 50,000 primary selectees have been reached or you get to the end of Sept of that visa year. Each approved visa recipient can have deriviate visa winners in their spouse and children. ( They could elect to list any of the above and not include them travel to the US alone and petition them later with an I 130) The total number of people using a DV visa to enter the US would equal the total number of processed winner ( 50000 or less ) plus their deriviate family members ( 0 to whatever number ) There is no limit on the number of visas issued to the immedate family of DV visa recipients.

Yeah May 1st they draw 100,000 selectees. This is spread though the various regions. They know in some areas many selectees will fail to qualify for a visa, usually do to educational needs, sometimes because they have some history that makes them inadmissable to the US. Starting with the lowest numbers they do the interviews which continue until the country hits it's personal cap, the region hits it's cap, all 50,000 primary selectees have been reached or you get to the end of Sept of that visa year. Each approved visa recipient can have deriviate visa winners in their spouse and children. ( They could elect to list any of the above and not include them travel to the US alone and petition them later with an I 130) The total number of people using a DV visa to enter the US would equal the total number of processed winner ( 50000 or less ) plus their deriviate family members ( 0 to whatever number ) There is no limit on the number of visas issued to the immedate family of DV visa recipients.

So, you says that when they select the winners, they do not count deriviatives among the selectees? & when they do give the visa, they gives 50k visas to primary participants? Then when the participants has his/her visa, he/she sponsor the deriviatives he included in the lottery? meaning that only 50k mains winner gets the green card + whoever is included in his entries? That for instance can mean that for a particular year, DOS can issues like 150 000k visas?

I don't think they have ever had a year where they reached the max , the year ends because they run out of time
Here are stats for entry on DV visas for 2010 ( latest year I could fine quickly)
Diversity. .

Principals, new arrivals (DV1). . .

Principals, adjustments (DV6). .
Spouses of DV1 or DV6, new arrivals (DV2). .

Spouses of DV1 or DV6, adjustments (DV7). .
Children of DV1 or DV6, new arrivals (DV3). .

Children of DV1 or DV6, adjustments (DV8). .

Even more interesting is the divion of the selectees using a formula that allows for expected failure / fraud rates. Note that Africa gets 50% of the selections because they expect so many to be fraud ( over 80% of the Nigerian entries are declared illegitimate )

For the 2012 Diversity Visa Lottery, the winning applicants were apportioned as follows:[8]
Region Winner allocation Country with highest number of winners Countries with high fraud level (percent of entries which are illegitimate and therefore disqualified during selection process)[citation needed]
Africa 50.00 % Nigeria Nigeria 82.71%, Egypt 65.6%, Ethiopia 64.06%, Ghana 56.65%, Sudan 54.7%, Niger 46.73%
Europe 30.98 % Ukraine Ukraine 71.49%, Belarus 61.63%, Latvia 52.28%, Uzbekistan 47.81%, Armenia 40.38%, Lithuania 40.04%
Asia 15.00 % Iran Bangladesh 96.71%
South and Central America and the Caribbean 2.00 % Venezuela Almost no fraudulent entries
Oceania 2.00 % Australia Fiji 16.32%
North America 0.02% Bahamas (only eligible country in North America) Almost no fraudulent entries

I don't think they have ever had a year where they reached the max , the year ends because they run out of time
Here are stats for entry on DV visas for 2010 ( latest year I could fine quickly)
Diversity. .

Even more interesting is the divion of the selectees using a formula that allows for expected failure / fraud rates. Note that Africa gets 50% of the selections because they expect so many to be fraud ( over 80% of the Nigerian entries are declared illegitimate )

For the 2012 Diversity Visa Lottery, the winning applicants were apportioned as follows:[8]
Region Winner allocation Country with highest number of winners Countries with high fraud level (percent of entries which are illegitimate and therefore disqualified during selection process)[citation needed]
Africa 50.00 % Nigeria Nigeria 82.71%, Egypt 65.6%, Ethiopia 64.06%, Ghana 56.65%, Sudan 54.7%, Niger 46.73%
Europe 30.98 % Ukraine Ukraine 71.49%, Belarus 61.63%, Latvia 52.28%, Uzbekistan 47.81%, Armenia 40.38%, Lithuania 40.04%
South and Central America and the Caribbean 2.00 % Venezuela Almost no fraudulent entries
North America 0.02% Bahamas (only eligible country in North America) Almost no fraudulent entries

So if you right, that would mean that out of 100 000 principal selectees, only 26 454 gets a visa?

I know bengladesh should have a high level of fraud since they occured to half of 2012 entries & only got 2 373 wnners

Some areas they don't read the rules well. I know many Nigerians apply, not even thinking if they have the required schooling . They just think if they win they will come. The same may be true in Bandladesh , I imagine there was a general rush to apply thinking this year would be a lucky one.

Diversity. .

This is a real old thread and post and I am sure this person is not here anymore.
Buy does anyone knows how he got these numbers?
Is there any place to get these number for 2018 or 2019?

Last edited: