Time taken for Biometric Notice to arrive

2002NJ-NonRIR

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I am planning to apply for Re-Entry Permit (REP).
Can someone please let me know what is the typical time one has to wait for Biometric Notices to arrive once the application reaches the processing center. Also is there a date mentioned on the Biometric Notice to appear for fingerprinting or can we go sooner than the date.
The reason I am asking these questions is that I planning air tickets around these activites.(i.e. leaving US after fingerprinting)

Thanks for your help,
Ajit

Expect it to arrive in 2 to 4 weeks after your application reaches USCIS.

Then the appointment is likely to be 1 to 3 weeks after you get the notice, but you once you have the notice in your hand you can go for a walk-in before the appointment date.

Hi Jackolantern,

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate all your posts on this forum and find them very valuable.

I hope you can answer a few more questions for me:

1) Physical Presence to file the REP:
I am a PR currently living in my home country on 1st REP which is expiring on 24 April 2012.
I plan to travel to USA in the 1st week of April and mail the application forms for 2nd REP immediately on arriving.
Is there a minimum amount of time one has to stay in the US, before sending the application forms
Please advise

2) Address for communication:
I am currently not renting an apartment in the US. I will be staying with my cousin and will be providing his postal address in the application forms. Please let me know if this will be OK.

Thanks a lot
Ajit

Last edited by a moderator:
1) Physical Presence to file the REP:
I am a PR currently living in my home country on 1st REP which is expiring on 24 April 2012.
I plan to travel to USA in the 1st week of April and mail the application forms for 2nd REP immediately on arriving.
Is there a minimum amount of time one has to stay in the US, before sending the application forms
Please advise
As soon as you get past immigration at the US airport or border you can send it. Then you must remain in the US until USCIS receives it. After that you can leave the US, but you must still return for biometrics.

2) Address for communication:
I am currently not renting an apartment in the US. I will be staying with my cousin and will be providing his postal address in the application forms. Please let me know if this will be OK.

That's OK for you reentry permit, but could be a problem for naturalization. However, it seems you have been spending and will be spending so much time outside the US that you're not going to qualify for naturalization for years anyway. Try to establish better ties to the US before the end of this 2nd reentry permit or you could lose your green card.

I-797 Question

Hi,

I came back to the US and applied for a 2nd Re-Entry Permit to Dallas Lockbox.
In the application package I requested for email notification of receipt. I recd. an email today stating that Official Receipt Notice (Form I-797) will be mailed out in 7 to 10 days.
Can anyone please advise if this I-797 will be the "finger printing" notice or will the FP notice come in later.

Thanks a lot
Ajit

The FP notice will be a separate paper, and it will list your appointment date (although you can choose to go at an earlier date).

Hi,

Can anyone please advise if this I-797 will be the "finger printing" notice or will the FP notice come in later.

Ajit

I-797 is a notification that your application has been accepted by the USCIS. Details about the Fingerprinting process will be sent to you later by a separate notification only.

Returning to USA when Re-entry Permit application is pending

Hi,

I recd. finger printing notice with an appointment to appear for Biometrics next week.
In the meanwhile I recd an offer from an US employer.
I plan to go back to India after Biometrics and return to USA in 2 months time.
During my return I will carry the job offer letter.
Will I be allowed at the Port of Entry even if REP application is pending and/or I do not possess a Re-Entry permit in hand.

Please advise...thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
To Jackolantern:
*When you mentioned that the biometrics mail comes from 2-4 weeks, was that a min & max time or is it just the average?

I estimate around 90% of the time it arrives in 2 to 4 weeks; a small percentage of people will have it arrive sooner than 2 weeks or later than 4 weeks.

To 2002NJ-NonRIR:
*How long exactly after applying for the REP did it take to get your fingerprint appointment notice?
*Did you go in the biometrics date set for you or did you do a walk-in?

Here are the relevant dates from my recent experience related to Re-Entry Permit application

* I arrived in USA on March 28th and sent I-131 by express mail the same day
* I-131 sent with expedite request (No extra fees were paid, I just mentioned EXPEDITE on the I-131 form 1st page top right side)
* Finger Printing notice recd. on April 7th to appear at ASC on April 16th
* Finger Printing carried out on April 16th
* Left USA on April 19th
* Recd. email a couple of days ago that Re-Entry Permit has been mailed out on April 30th

Hope this will be helpful to you, good luck with your application