• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Forgot to write a middle name in dv2013 on-line application.

cnebit

Registered Users (C)
Hi

My question is about the on-line DV-2013 application form. More precisely, I forgot to write my middle name in application.

For example: (This is not my real personal data)

James David Smith (in a passport)
James Smith (in this way, I wrote in form without a middle name )

And a question is, it may be an issue at the interview. ( Of course if my entry will be selected and I will be invited to interview in embassy)

From the KCC point of view, it might look like a rather questionable oversight to make, considering that one would have to check the "No Middle Name" box to continue to Part 2 and submit the entry.

If you are successful in the initial selection, you may risk the possibility of rejection at the interview stage due to this mistake. Attending the interview with a different name to the one entered on the original E-DV application is one of the top reasons for a denial along with a "pop-up" marriage after the winning notification, and an incorrect DOB.

Hi

My question is about the on-line DV-2013 application form. More precisely, I forgot to write my middle name in application.

And a question is, it may be an issue at the interview. ( Of course if my entry will be selected and I will be invited to interview in embassy)

@Cnebit,even if you scale through DV processing and being selected,you would be denied visa.For the fact that you never entered a middle name during the eDV form/program and may look like you want to claim someones visa even if you are the rightful winner/applicant but with incompleting of full names of applicant during eDV form/program.You could be pardon/overlooked for error or mistake of DOB depending on the kind of CO.But not on incompleting of full names of applicant during eDV form/program or failed to include middle name during eDV form/program.Well anything is still possible in life,don't just give up on this issue okay just pray to get selected first?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

@cnebit, well, i will suggest u contact KCC via E-mail if eventually u win. Moreso, to be at a safer side, tell them someone assisted u in filling the online application form. You will put it to them that u only got to know about the error when the fellow gave you your confirmation slip. You must be bold while explaining this to them and pls dont show any sign of fear. I know you will succeed as long as every other documents like your DOB, SCHOOL CERTIFICATES, POLICE REPORT, INTERNATIONAL PASSPORT, etc, carries your full name. Dont worry bro, there's no Problem without Solution. One Love!

you're doomed because there are cases where people cheat that way... Let name someone "Robert Patrick Smith"...
He will put multiple entries such as :
-Robert Patrick Smith
-Robert Smith
-Patrick Smith
-Robert Patrick
-Patrick Robert
-Smith Robert

So KCC decided to just deny the visa to any person misspelling his name, forgoting his name, wrong date of birth ect... to prevent that kind of cheating from working... Like how can someone forgot he has a midle name when in the registration form it is asked... How can someone misspell his/her name when before submiting the form, you have the review, how can you forget your birthdate ectt... sometimes i is sincere error like stressing, but most of the time, it is just people cheating

I sent only one application form. I've never been in the U.S.(no immigration law issue), I never had problems with the law, even a speeding ticket. So there is no cheating.
In my country we don't use a middle name in common situations, even in school etc. only in official papers. My stupid mistake was filling a form straight from the head, without looking at the any documents.

I sent only one application form. I've never been in the U.S.(no immigration law issue), I never had problems with the law, even a speeding ticket. So there is no cheating.
In my country we don't use a middle name in common situations, even in school etc. only in official papers. My stupid mistake was filling a form straight from the head, without looking at the any documents.

I never said you cheated, I said that because of the large number of fraud with people playing with name, midle name, surname ect, the KCC decided to ban any wrong information, they will concider false information.
Besidse, if you get selected, you need to know someone in the US, not necessarely a friend, but a resident who can recieve document for you because at the interview they require that adress, need to be a US adress to recieve your green card.
Be prepared because people get deny the green card that way

I sent only one application form. I've never been in the U.S.(no immigration law issue) .
Hi,
Especially since you have never entered the U.S. it could be a problem. If you had been to the U.S. at least once you would have an existing Visa (like a tourist visa) with your full a proper name on record. However, because this potentially is the first encounter with U.S. Immigration, and you have entered an incorrect name on your E-DV application, pursuing it may trigger a denial.
I never had problems with the law, even a speeding ticket. So there is no cheating.
It is good that you have had no trouble with the law. That is one aspect that you will not have to worry about and a police background check will show that. I think the issue that jayo2k attempts to explain is that while you may not have any intention of cheating by missing off your middle name, those that do cheat do so in the same manner; by missing out name(s) intentionally in the way jayo2k described.
In my country we don't use a middle name in common situations, even in school etc. only in official papers.
The Electronic Diversity Entry application is an official document; the E-DV form is known as Form DS-5501. This is an official U.S. Government document.
My stupid mistake was filling a form straight from the head, without looking at the any documents.
I’m afraid so. If you do win, and do attend the interview, the CO will have to be convinced that you have a very, very good reason for deciding to check the “No Middle Name” box. This is because if it is left empty, the form cannot continue to the next part unless the applicant declares on their E-DV form that they have no middle name by checking that box.
I don’t think “I didn’t know”, “I didn’t realise” “I forgot” or “I don’t usually use my middle name” will work. Especially when it clearly states in the instructions to fill everything out exactly as it is spelt in the Passport.

I fear that anyone attending an interview under such circumstances (in my opinion) would lead to a denial, which would have severe consequences for any future visas that are applied for in other categories in the future.
Good luck.

You were supposed to fill in your names as they appear on your official documents such as I'd and passport. If your passport has a midddle name then you were supposed to include that middle name as well. It has nothing to do with if you have any criminal record or not. You clearly ticked N/A on the box for your middle name and that was false. So I think this issue mmay give you problems if you win.

What do you think about it avvo.com/legal-answers/middle-name-in-my-passport-not-on-dv-entry-549425.html Maybe my situation is not so bad.

What do you think about it avvo.com/legal-answers/middle-name-in-my-passport-not-on-dv-entry-549425.html Maybe my situation is not so bad.

Those answers should not be construed as authoritative, and appear quite vague on why it shouldn't be an issue.

Having a misspelling in a name (for example) has occurred before, and there is anecdotal evidence reported in this forum from about 2008 - 2009 that missing off an "e" or "h" at the end of a first/last name on the E-DV application is not fatal, especially since many names that are translated into Latin characters do have legitimate spelling variations. However that being said I've never read of an entire name being missing! It's a rather odd situation you've found yourself in. For example here is an interesting situation, it’s a shame that we never find out what happened, but again, this is a variation of a name, not an entirely new name!

I’m trying to see how this could be reconciled. Things have changed, for example it’s impossible in 2012 to get a flight to or within the U.S. now if a name is accidently missed off a ticket when compared to the Passport, and has been since at least late 2009 early 2010 due to the new TSA guidelines and the implementation of the “Secure Flight” system.

So that being said, I’m sceptical on how this would play out. Assuming you win; would you try correcting the mistake in your DS-230 form before you submit it to the KCC and write your full name? Would you write your name without the middle as an alias or would you just leave it off the form entirely? When booking the medical examination the Visa applicant case# has to be recorded for your medical file, which would be linked to your (wrong) E-DV name, how would you explain this to the examining physician? Especially when you have to attend the health examination with Official Identity documents (e.g. Passport) to prove that you are you, which will have a full name? What name(s) would you apply for a criminal record check? How do you plan to explain the discrepancy to the CO when he or she sees another name on your appear on your entry form? What would a good justification be to the CO for a different name do you think? Would you be prepared for a denial because of this?

These are probably some of the questions that you need to start thinking about preparing the answers to, I won’t pretend to have all the answers, because I most assuredly do not, but basic alarm bells/common sense rings in cases with obvious discrepancies like actually forgetting an entire middle name on a really, really simple and easy form like a DV Lottery application, even if it is the result of an innocent mistake.

It’s a tricky situation; I can only wish you the best of luck.

you're doomed because there are cases where people cheat that way... Let name someone "Robert Patrick Smith"...
He will put multiple entries such as :
-Robert Patrick Smith
-Robert Smith
-Patrick Smith
-Robert Patrick
-Patrick Robert
-Smith Robert

So KCC decided to just deny the visa to any person misspelling his name, forgoting his name, wrong date of birth ect... to prevent that kind of cheating from working... Like how can someone forgot he has a midle name when in the registration form it is asked... How can someone misspell his/her name when before submiting the form, you have the review, how can you forget your birthdate ectt... sometimes i is sincere error like stressing, but most of the time, it is just people cheating

@Jayo2k,what i personally think of @cnebit is that he just fell in the line of paper base/eDV rules where DOS clearly state that applicants gets disqualify or denied visa from these:
Incorrect photo,missing of info,wrong addressing,wrong format,misinterpretation,wrong spelling and other misconduct issues.And @cnebit just fell in the case of missing of info.But sometimes some of these cases are being overlooked/pardon at the embassy depending on the CO.But would advice him if WON/SELECTED to write KCC about this issue and see what KCC has to say and whatever they say is final.But KCC might want to see this as cheating.

Having a misspelling in a name (for example) has occurred before, and there is anecdotal evidence reported in this forum from about 2008 - 2009 that missing off an "e" or "h" at the end of a first/last name on the E-DV application is not fatal, especially since many names that are translated into Latin characters do have legitimate spelling variations. However that being said I've never read of an entire name being missing! It's a rather odd situation you've found yourself in. For example here is an interesting situation, it’s a shame that we never find out what happened, but again, this is a variation of a name, not an entirely new name!

I’m trying to see how this could be reconciled. Things have changed, for example it’s impossible in 2012 to get a flight to or within the U.S. now if a name is accidently missed off a ticket when compared to the Passport, and has been since at least late 2009 early 2010 due to the new TSA guidelines and the implementation of the “Secure Flight” system.

So that being said, I’m sceptical on how this would play out. Assuming you win; would you try correcting the mistake in your DS-230 form before you submit it to the KCC and write your full name? Would you write your name without the middle as an alias or would you just leave it off the form entirely? When booking the medical examination the Visa applicant case# has to be recorded for your medical file, which would be linked to your (wrong) E-DV name, how would you explain this to the examining physician? Especially when you have to attend the health examination with Official Identity documents (e.g. Passport) to prove that you are you, which will have a full name? What name(s) would you apply for a criminal record check? How do you plan to explain the discrepancy to the CO when he or she sees another name on your appear on your entry form? What would a good justification be to the CO for a different name do you think? Would you be prepared for a denial because of this?

These are probably some of the questions that you need to start thinking about preparing the answers to, I won’t pretend to have all the answers, because I most assuredly do not, but basic alarm bells/common sense rings in cases with obvious discrepancies like actually forgetting an entire middle name on a really, really simple and easy form like a DV Lottery application, even if it is the result of an innocent mistake.

@slash_dot,one of DOS paper base/eDV lottery rules state that applicants gets disqualify or denied visa base on these:
Incorrect photo,missing of info,wrong format, wrong addressing, missing of interpretation and other misconduct issue.And i think @cnebit just fell in line of missing of info.Well when he gets selected first then anything is still possible.But like i said KCC might want to see this as cheating.

@slash_dot,one of DOS paper base/eDV lottery rules state that applicants gets disqualify or denied visa base on these:
Incorrect photo,missing of info,wrong format, wrong addressing, missing of interpretation and other misconduct issue.And i think @cnebit just fell in line of missing of info.Well when he gets selected first then anything is still possible.But like i said KCC might want to see this as cheating.

I think so too, even if it was unintentional. This situation unfortunately has a similar vibe to cases where people try add additional dependants on the DS-230 that were not included on the original E-DV application, or even during the interview (apart from newborns).

We all know for a fact of cases where missing/wrong dependant(s), missing/wrong birth certificate(s), missing/missing education qualification(s) have led to denial, and I imagine the same would be for missing name(s).

A misspelling is different, if the name was misspelt; or have alternative spellings (e.g. non-Latin name) I would have a lot more confidence in telling you that you’ll be OK (obviously there are no guarantees).
Let’s think about this in other visa categories; an applicant gaining from a petition for a H1-B without a full name (or even a misspelt name) would likely lead to a rejection / denial, and even if somehow approved, will end up with an approval notice with the wrong name on it, which will cause major problems.

Applying without a full name for a B-1/2 visa would definitely lead to a denial, same for the Visa Waiver Scheme; you wouldn’t even be permitted to check-in if the same mistake was made on the flight ticket.
The difference is these are non-immigrant visas, and could be resolved by resubmitting the application again/contacting employer to correct the issue. There is (e.g.) plenty of evidence illustrating how wrong/incorrect/missing name(s) screw up Visa applications. I don’t see how this would be different for a Diversity Visa/Immigrant visa in general.

Of course the real issue in getting denied a diversity visa is the creation of permanent record against showing “Immigrant Intent”, which will create a significant hurdle for ever getting any non-immigrant visa.

Cnebit, if you do win, I wish you the best of luck whichever decision you make.

@Cnebit, if you win I think you will have to take a gamble on whether to proceed with the application or not because you can never really tell on what the outcome will be. But I honestly think you will have to work hard to try and convince the IO that this was an honest mistake. You could end up suceeding or failing (two outcomes) and its a gamble you will have to decide whether to persue or not. I can only wish you the best of luck.

I wrote to the Embass. This is their answer.

"Dear Sir,
We cannot speculate in the outcome a future visa application. Any discrepancies of listed name(s) will however need to be addressed at the time of your formal interview.
Sincerely,

Immigrant Visa Unit"

So nothing new:(

But I have another idea. I just found information that I can easily remove the second name (in my local registry office) and replace the old documents (passport, ID ) to the new without middle name. The only information about my middle name will be in the birth Certificate with notice of removal. In this case, information from the passport will be the same as in on line DV form. So maybe this is the best way.

Thank you all for information and advice.

@Cnebit,solution to your issue is original Birth certificate with your full names but notice of your remover of second name will be publicise and your int'l passport/police report bears your recent name.With these all your recent documents must have a notice of your remover of your second name if this way would be the only way to convince the CO during your interview if WON/SELECTED.But dont be too over confidence about these cos some COs are different and could be funny at times?

[/QUOTE]

Of course the real issue in getting denied a diversity visa is the creation of permanent record against showing “Immigrant Intent”, which will create a significant hurdle for ever getting any non-immigrant visa.

Cnebit, if you do win, I wish you the best of luck
whichever decision you make.[/QUOTE]

@slash_dot,well said.

I wrote to the Embass. This is their answer.

So nothing new:( .
Hi,
From my perspective that looks like a standard copy & paste answer from the Embassy I’m afraid. Although I do not know the contents of the question they received, their answer seems rather vague and unhelpful when one considers that should this issue not get resolved at the interview, the applicant will be denied a DV immigrant visa, and thereby entailing the dire aforementioned repercussions which will follow from that as a consequence.

But I have an idea. I just found information that I can easily remove the second name and replace the old documents(passport, ID ) to the new without middle name. The only information about my middle name will be in the birth Certificate with notice of removal. In this case, information from the passport will be the same as in on line DV form. So maybe this is the best way.

Thank you all for information and advice.

While this looks like an easy solution at first instance, I urge you to reconsider these action(s). Attempting a retrospective alteration of your identity documentation will inadvertently appear to anyone inspecting that you have something to hide. It may make the situation infinitely worse.

In my opinion these things will not solve your issue.

The birth certificate has to be the original. From what I understand it is the most important document that pertains to the applicant that is submitted to the Consulate/Embassy. This is because by the time the applicant is eligible to enter their application, they could have any number of changes to their name. The birth certificate is an unequivocal legal article establishing the petitioner’s original given name (and thus legal identity) as it was evidenced at that time. It is not so much just a document listing a name; it is also an instrument of historical record.

Altering your birth certificate is the worst thing you could ever do. In most countries after 12 months from birth nothing can be changed on this document. I do not know what country your birth certificate was issued from, but in most countries an evidenced name change has to be made either through application to a court, a statutory declaration, or by “deed poll”.

What you must realise is that all of these events will nonetheless be post-dated. Should you decide to start this name change process now, any resulting change will still be recorded to occur on a date sometime in March/April 2012: significantly after the Electronic Diversity Visa application that you presumably made back in October / November 2011, at best useless, at worst extremely detrimental to your credibility, especially since you have stated you've never had a U.S. visa before.

Pretend you are the CO interviewing, and an someone turned up in the same situation.

Would you believe an applicant forgot their own middle name?
Would you believe they were rushed/filled the form "straight from the head" and didn't pay attention to the the details, despite a thirty (30) day window to inspect a simple two (2) page form consisting of basic biographic data and a picture?
Would you not question a name change that occurred after the original entry?
Would you not question why a different name appears on the DS-230?
Etc

The problem is the DV Lottery relies very much on honesty; and a large (some would say disproportionate amount) of people attempt to abuse it at the expense of honest applicants, which leaves precious little tolerance of errors, especially basic errors on fundamental information, such as names.

I think you can see where I’m going with this. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, or pessimistic, but I think you need to invent a time machine. :p

You must make your mind up to either “gamble” (as verdite schoolboy and others have suggested is an option) by entering a different name on your Form DS-230 which will be submitted to the KCC, go to the interview and try explain the name discrepancy away, or alternatively not risk getting a permanent denial and simply re-apply next year with the proper full name.

Once again, good luck.