After Citizenship can you live outside the US?

healer_guide

Registered Users (C)
Good evening everyone,

My mother is taking her Oath tomorrow, she currently lives with me but due to the fact that I will be traveling a lot for work, my sister who lives in our country of origin would like for my mother to live with her as my mother is elderly. My question is the following: can a Naturalized US Citizen lose their citizenship if they live putside the US?

Thank you.

Naturalized citizens can live in US, or outside US. There is no constraint imposed by Uncle Sam. If you read something like that, it was in the past.

Not at all. A US citizen cannot lose the citizenship until and unless he/she files to get naturalized as a citizen of another country. In your mother's case, she can perfectly remain a US citizen and live outside the US

There is another condition. The US citizen must have the intention to relinquish US citizenship. The State Department assumes by default that the US citizens does not have the intention.

A US citizen cannot lose the citizenship until and unless he/she files to get naturalized as a citizen of another country.

Thank you very much for your answers. Yes I had read some years ago about having to live in the US for a year and a day after naturalization to maintain US citizenship. I had even read that you had to live in the US for 5 years before relocating overseas. Both scenarios had me confused. Thank you for being so informative as usual. This is the best immigration forum. ;-)