Passport question

max1795

Hello I have a passport question. I am a Australian citizen by birth and a naturalized US citizen. I want to know if I can travel to Australia on my US passport and not my Australian one.

Al though, it is not REQUIRED by Australia (just like Canada), it's the best and easiest option. You can carry your Australian citizenship documents too, but if I were you, I'd get an Australian passport.

Al though, it is not REQUIRED by Australia (just like Canada), it's the best and easiest option. You can carry your Australian citizenship documents too, but if I were you, I'd get an Australian passport.
It is required by Australia that its citizens travel to/from Australia on Australian passport. It is not like Canada.

Your passport should be from your home country, If you have US passport that means you have the citizenship in US, So you can travel Australia with your home passport.
Have you read the OP? The OP has the citizenships of Australia and the USA. Australia requires its citizens to use Australian passport when dealing with Australian passport control, regardless of how many other citizenships they may have. The USA has exactly same rule.

I'm not sure, Konig: http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/tips/dualnat.html

"When entering Australia, all Australians, including those who hold dual nationality, must be able to prove that they are an Australian citizen. An Australian passport is conclusive evidence of a person’s identity and citizenship and provides the holder with right of entry to Australia.

An Australian citizen who arrives without an Australian passport may be delayed until their identity and claims to enter Australia have been checked. If a foreign passport holder claims to be an Australian citizen, immigration officers must confirm and verify this through official databases, which will cause delays."

What you quoted above is more related to advising Australian citizens to always carry Australian passport for easy entry to Australia. As I understand, those two paragraphs concern those who claim to be Australian citizens. It does not really explain what would happen if a dual AU/US citizen showed up at the POE presenting only American passport and claiming to be an American. I will try to research more on this subject.

Oh you think the OP does not want to acknowledge at the POE that he/she is an Australian citizen? Maybe. It's not clear, really.

But, I just realised that you might need proof of having applied for an ETA to enter Australia as an American. Do they ask for proof at check-in? In that case, it would pose a problem not having an Australian passport.