Have you ever claimed to be a US citizen?

egrizzly

Registered Users (C)
Hello guys,

Think this is a great site. so much information. Got a quick question on the N-400. If Are people rejected for checking "no" where it asks them "have you ever claimed to be a US citizen", that is if you claimed you where by accident on a DMV application or job application. Thanks

Hello guys,

Think this is a great site. so much information. Got a quick question on the N-400. If Are people rejected for checking "no" where it asks them "have you ever claimed to be a US citizen", that is if you claimed you where by accident on a DMV application or job application. Thanks

Did you mean to say: for checking "yes"?

...ok. to follow your angle do one get denied for checking "yes". when the excuses are mistakes when applying for drivers license and job application? Have not been employed in a government/high security job, voted, or granted any citizen benefits.

Most people who answered YES because they registered to vote are approved if they deregistered and showed proof of deregistration and not voting, and if the registration occurred more than 5 years ago.

But I'm not aware of any success stories of people who claimed to be a citizen for employment. That doesn't happen accidentally. Employers don't fill out the I-9 for you and pick the "US citizen" box and hand the paper to you to just sign, like what some DMV clerks do with voter registration.

...ok. to follow your angle do one get denied for checking "yes". when the excuses are mistakes when applying for drivers license and job application? Have not been employed in a government/high security job, voted, or granted any citizen benefits.

Formally, claiming to be a U.S. citizen when you are not one in order to get any government benefit (such as registering to vote) is a serious offense, which makes the alien technically deportable and can lead to N-400 being denied. In practice, experience shows that USCIS officers usually will not deny an N-400 for registering to vote, provided you have not actually voted and have a plausible explanation to the effect that you registered to vote by mistake or without understanding that you were not eligible to do so. However, you still need to disclose the fact that you did register to vote in N-400. Also, you need to contact the local election board at the place where you were registered to vote and ask them to give you a letter confirming two things:
1)That you never actually voted
and
2)That your voter registration has been cancelled and you are no longer registered to vote.

An IO will not approve the N-400 until and unless you provide such a letter, so you should get it by the time of the interview, at the latest.

As Jackolantern says, I am not aware of any cases where N-400 was approved if an alien claimed to be a U.S. citizen on an I-9, as a part of an emplyment application.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok. what if the person that completed the I-9 is a lawful permanent resident and did not gain any benefits by checking the "citizen" box on the I-9? just throwing that out there.

Formally, claiming to be a U.S. citizen when you are not one in order to get any government benefit (such as registering to vote) is a serious offense, which makes the alien technically deportable and can lead to N-400 being denied. In practice, experience shows that USCIS officers usually will not deny an N-400 for registering to vote, provided you have not actually voted and have a plausible explanation to the effect that you registered to vote by mistake or without understanding that you were not eligible to do so. However, you still need to disclose the fact that you did register to vote in N-400. Also, you need to contact the local election board at the place where you were registered to vote and ask them to give you a letter confirming two things:
1)That you never actually voted
and
2)That your voter registration has been cancelled and you are no longer registered to vote.

An IO will not approve the N-400 until and unless you provide such a letter, so you should get it by the time of the interview, at the latest.

As Jackolantern says, I am not aware of any cases where N-400 was approved if an alien claimed to be a U.S. citizen on an I-9, as a part of an emplyment application.

ok. what if the person that completed the I-9 is a lawful permanent resident and did not gain any benefits by checking the "citizen" box on the I-9? just throwing that out there.

Was the mistake promptly corrected, or did they continue to work for a long time without correcting it? Did the job require US citizenship?

Was it on the older version of the I-9 that had once choice for "US citizen or US national"? The newer forms, starting about 2-3 years ago, now have US national and US citizen as separate choices

2 years ago a lady posted that she once told her neighbor she was a citizen when she got tired of being asked about her immigration status and she indicated so on N400
and during interview. There has been no follow up so we do not know what eventually happned to her application

Did you actually do this? Or are you asking a hypothetical question?

Jackl,

The job did not require US citizenship. and I'm guessing since she never went to HR it was never corrected.

Was the mistake promptly corrected, or did they continue to work for a long time without correcting it? Did the job require US citizenship?

Was it on the older version of the I-9 that had once choice for "US citizen or US national"? The newer forms, starting about 2-3 years ago, now have US national and US citizen as separate choices