Divorce After Citizenship

Status
Not open for further replies.

david33

Hi All
I got my Us Citizenship March 2010,after filling based on marriage to US citizen
we are still married but now things arent work out between me and my wife,i wanna fill a uncontested divorce but the thing in uncontested divorce in my state you have to be seperated at least one year,we still live in the same house so do i have to wait or can i file a divorce?if that can effect my us citizenship any advice? thanks

Your citizenship is done. It will not be revoked unless there is an investigation for fraud ... unlikely such an investigation will start by itself, and again it does not mean you did something wrong.

Divorce ... this forum knows immigration laws. You need to check your state's marriage and divorce laws. Unlikely you will find that help here.

Well, perhaps an "investigation" of fradu may not be the determiner of naturalization revocation but a "finding" of fraud" after such an investigation upon which there might be a a legal process that may involve you vs the USCIS or whatever. In any case, as sanjoseaug mentioned, your citizenship process is done and anything you need to know about divorcing or acquiring more concubines will be best served in the laws of your state.

An investigation for fraud in itself would not cause revocation of naturalization. There's much more to it than that.

Sorry I neglected to say ... investigation, followed by a finding of guilt, followed by an appeal and what not ... I know I am taking issue with this, but I think the answer was sufficient in itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
An investigation for fraud in itself would not cause revocation of naturalization. There's much more to it than that.

Correct, but your statement doesn't correct or contradict what sanjoseaug20 wrote. The fact remains that the OP's citizenship will not be revoked unless there is an investigation; that's not the same as saying it will be revoked if there is an investigation.

Sorry I neglected to say ... investigation, followed by a finding of guilt, followed by an appeal and what not ... I know I am taking issue with this, but I think the answer was sufficient in itself.

You didn't neglect to say anything. What you wrote was true and didn't need any further explanation. Sometimes Bob just likes to make useless nitpicks.

You didn't neglect to say anything. What you wrote was true and didn't need any further explanation. Sometimes Bob just likes to make useless nitpicks.

I know. Anyway, I am not precise like Bob and BigJoe ... I go more with the philosophy than the CFR numbers or exact verbiage ... so I guess we will see more of this ;-)

Like I said, the statement "It will not be revoked unless there is an investigation for fraud" is only half true. Even your statement "the OP's citizenship will not be revoked unless there is an investigation" is not entirely correct in itself as a revocation is not entirely dependent on a formal investigation but rather on a finding that the applicant wasn't eligible for naturalization in the first place. In other words, it doesn't take an investigation to revoke naturalization, but rather a finding of wrongdoing.
Sanjose was humble enough to clarify what he meant without you having to interject.

Status
Not open for further replies.