US passport application after Oath ceremony

strategicthinke

Registered Users (C)
US passport application for minor children after Oath ceremony

I am currently an Indian citizen.

I am scheduled for an Oath ceremony on Dec 2nd :D. I know I can submit my US passport application immediately after that.

Can my minor kids (currently permanent residents) apply for US passports immediately too ?
The reason I ask it this. My son's (he is 16) Indian passport expires on Dec 14th. I want to avoid the trouble and expense of having to apply for the Indian one and then for the US one.

Thanks and regards

Last edited by a moderator:
I am currently an Indian citizen.

I am scheduled for an Oath ceremony on Dec 2nd :D. Can I submit my US passport application immediately after that ?

Can my minor kids (currently permanent residents) apply for US passports immediately too. The reason I ask it this. My son's (he is 16) Indian passport expires on Dec 14th. I want to avoid the trouble and expense of having to apply for the Indian one and then for the US one.

Thanks and regards

strategic thinker,

Yes, as soon as you are sworn-in and have your naturalization certificate, you can apply for the US passport at the nearest US post office or regional passport agency. It would be a good idea to complete the passport applications beforehand, you can do this online and print it for your peace of mind, but you do get application forms as part of your oath ceremony package. As for your kids, it will be much easier to submit their applications along with yours on the same day, so that your naturalization certificate can be used for all of their applications, I believe they will need to submit as part of their applications, copies of their green card.

Good luck and enjoy the ceremony. What is your district office?

Thanks for the inputs. So I should put the kids' and my application in the same packet and mail it ?

I am in Phoenix AZ.

Regards.

Thanks for the inputs. So I should put the kids' and my application in the same packet and mail it ?

I am in Phoenix AZ.

Regards.

Firs time US passport applicants are REQUIRED TO APPEAR IN PERSON at the Regional Passport Agency or Post office. If you mail it to the State Department, it is going to be rejected. What you have to do, is to complete separate application for each kid below age 18, and I am not sure if they have to appear in person and check the State Dept. www.state.gov

Incorrect, children have to submit original GC NOT a copy, they will be returned to you once the Passport Application is adjudicated.

Name,

Thanks!!! Do they have to appear in person? I took my son, when we applied for his passport even though he wasn't needed but a 6 month old fellow.

Two more questions.

1. Do my minor children automatically cease to be Indian citizens once I acquire US citizenship ? Or do they acquire citizenship only when they apply for a passport or apply for a certificate of citizenship.

2. Is it really necessary to apply for a certificate of citizenship for my children ?

Thanks.

Two more questions.

1. Do my minor children automatically cease to be Indian citizens once I acquire US citizenship ? Or do they acquire citizenship only when they apply for a passport or apply for a certificate of citizenship.

2. Is it really necessary to apply for a certificate of citizenship for my children ?

Thanks.

The minor children technically become US citizen when you took an oath of allegiance to the US. As soon as a US passport is issued to them, I believe that they lose their Indian citizenship. I believe there are more Indian forum members who have experience with this issue, who can speak more authoritatively on it and just look for their response.

If you have money to spend on the certificate, go ahead and apply. There are arguments for people to acquire certificate of citizenship, future proof of US citizen in addition to their US passport.

strategic thinker,

Yes, as soon as you are sworn-in and have your naturalization certificate, you can apply for the US passport at the nearest US post office or regional passport agency. It would be a good idea to complete the passport applications beforehand, you can do this online and print it for your peace of mind, but you do get application forms as part of your oath ceremony package. As for your kids, it will be much easier to submit their applications along with yours on the same day, so that your naturalization certificate can be used for all of their applications, I believe they will need to submit as part of their applications, copies of their green card.

Good luck and enjoy the ceremony. What is your district office?

Regarding the bolded part, I certainly didn't see any passport applications at my oath ceremony in Atlanta, in August 2010. I've seen other posts mention the ability to even apply for a passport at the oath location, right after the ceremony. Evidently this happens at some DOs and sounds very convenient. Not true in Atlanta, though, unless things have changed since August.

Others have already pointed out that you need to submit the kids' original green cards, not copies, and that the kids need to appear in person at the passport office or other location where you apply for a passport. (In the Atlanta area you have to do it at a post office). The kids' green cards will be returned by the State Department (even if the USPS employee taking the application tells you otherwise).

We did submit my kids' and my applications together. The clerk at the post office seemed knowledgeable and said it "should fly". he said he would send the applications together and add a note.

We did submit my kids' and my applications together. The clerk at the post office seemed knowledgeable and said it "should fly". he said he would send the applications together and add a note.

Your kids passports will be approved based on your naturalization certificate, not a problem there. It is a good thing the clerk didn't act confused and refused your kids passport applications, I read in cases where the clerks were confused. Good luck!!!

Regarding the bolded part, I certainly didn't see any passport applications at my oath ceremony in Atlanta, in August 2010. I've seen other posts mention the ability to even apply for a passport at the oath location, right after the ceremony. Evidently this happens at some DOs and sounds very convenient. Not true in Atlanta, though, unless things have changed since August.

Anxious,

In your oath ceremony package, they usually provide the passport application form at most naturalization ceremonies. It is possible the DO in GA just forgot to include the passport forms, because the passport is the 1st thing which USCIS officers advise newly minted citizens to do, because it provides solid proof of US citizenship. Moreover, most people can immediately use it, by either applying for a federal govt job as opposed to sending the naturalization certificate.

Unless you are divorced, both parents have to accompany the children to the post office at time of applying for the US passport.

Unless you are divorced, both parents have to accompany the children to the post office at time of applying for the US passport.

I think this is true for children under the age of 16. There are different rules for 16 and 17 year old minors applying for passports. After my naturalization, my 16 year old and I went to the post office together, to apply for US passports for both of us. My husband and her father (we're not divorced and we all reside together) didn't accompany us. Nobody asked for him to appear, the application process went smoothly and we received both passports less than three weeks later.

Hi All.

I had an Oath Ceremony yesterday in Oakland and after I have sworn drove through to San Francisco Passport Agency to submit my passport application.
It took me an hour to get in and out and my passport will be ready tomorrow at 11.00 AM and will be ready fly to Europa before the Christmas..:)

Thanks all of you in this forum to share your ideas during this process.

Best Regards

Dec 11th 2010: Applied for passports + passport cards for self and 2 minor kids.

Dec 24th 2010: Passport and Passport cards received in separate mailings.

Smooth as silk !

Thanks for all the advice.

Hello

Me too Indian citizen applying N-400 - US citizenship along with wife. Me too have a minor kid {10 yrs old}

It seems you didnt apply for the Certificate of Naturalization for your minor kid and directly applied for US passport.

Some questions:
1. Did you every feel the need for the Certificate of Naturalization later?
2. My kid's Indian passport has expired last year {2011}. Will that be an issue when I am applying for OCI (Overseas Citizenship of India)?
3. Is it best if all {me, wife, kid} send in the OCI applications together ?

Thanks
Abdul