N-400 Atlanta waiting for Oath Ceremony

laklaklak

Hi guys,
I have done my interview and passed on August, 11th 2010. and i still did not receive any mail from USCIS. I was wondering if this is normal. i saw some people on this site said they interviewed and did ceremony the day before my interview date. After I passed the test the lady gave me the certification of the test that i passed and she said im good to go home. but when i was waiting in the lobby for the test i saw people were called up and asked to comeback at 2PM. how come the lady did tell me to comeback at 2PM? is this normal? what should i do??

Don't worry, you will get something in the mail, if you don't get anything by the 15th, your name check might not be cleared by the FBI.

oh is it because i requested to change my name with the naturalization?

Likely. I'm not certain about this, but I think it may be the case that if you're changing your name, you have to attend a judicial oath ceremony (one conducted by a judge). The daily oath ceremonies are the Atlanta USCIS office are just conducted by USCIS officials. I think that's termed an administrative oath ceremony.

oh is it because i requested to change my name with the naturalization?

Well that's it, you requested a name change and you will be scheduled to be naturalized with other people who requested name change, otherwise you would have been naturalized the same day.
It don't seem like you have a FBI name check issue.
They probably have judicial oath ceremonies once a month.

I called the NDGA (Georgia North District Federal Court) and they confirmed that November 5, 2010 ceremony is the last in 2010. At the time of my interview I came to know that November slots are full. That leaves folks like us in limbo because NDGA has not yet scheduled dates for 2011. Usually, their first ceremony will be in February of each year. After that, it is in May! This is very frustrating.

Same case here. I did the interview in August 2010. I did not receive the oath letter till today. Is it possible to withdraw the name change petition at this stage and request for an earlier non-judicial oath ceremony? Would appreciate if anyone can answer this.

Same case here. I did the interview in August 2010. I did not receive the oath letter till today. Is it possible to withdraw the name change petition at this stage and request for an earlier non-judicial oath ceremony? Would appreciate if anyone can answer this.

You can write USCIS and request to have a regular oath since the judicial oaths are taking much too long. There's no guarantees, but at least you can try.

You can write USCIS and request to have a regular oath since the judicial oaths are taking much too long. There's no guarantees, but at least you can try.

No ceremonies have been scheduled yet for 2011 and so the wait is going to be much longer. Do you know of anybody having done this Bobsmyth? Meaning, requesting for a "regular oath ceremony" without name-change after it was tagged for judicial oath?

Do you know of anybody having done this Bobsmyth? Meaning, requesting for a "regular oath ceremony" without name-change after it was tagged for judicial oath?
Personally no. But like I said, you can request for a regular oath due to delays in judicial oaths. Schedule an Infopass and explain to IO your desire to change to regular oath.

Personally no. But like I said, you can request for a regular oath due to delays in judicial oaths. Schedule an Infopass and explain to IO your desire to change to regular oath.

Alright. Will attempt to do just that and will keep you posted. Thanks.

I took an info pass and requested the immigration officer to pull out the name change petition for regular oath ceremony. She informed that it is not possible at this stage and I have to wait for the Judicial oath ceremony letter. I hope to get it sometime in 2011.

I took an info pass and requested the immigration officer to pull out the name change petition for regular oath ceremony. She informed that it is not possible at this stage and I have to wait for the Judicial oath ceremony letter. I hope to get it sometime in 2011.

Oh, that is not promising. I have my InfoPass next week. So, "sword153", when did you have your interview? How long are you in the wait-list?

AlSouthner - Thanks.

P,

You can change your name legally through the court system in GA, but will cost some $$$, and it will take maybe a month to resolve.

Al - Can you kindly point me to any pointers on how to go about this route? Really depressing as I have a pressing need to get this taken care of. If USCIS would allow me to go through the normal admin oath, I can take care of the name-change myself. But, I am not sure if USCIS will act on my request.

I called the NDGA (Georgia North District Federal Court) and they confirmed that November 5, 2010 ceremony is the last in 2010. At the time of my interview I came to know that November slots are full. That leaves folks like us in limbo because NDGA has not yet scheduled dates for 2011. Usually, their first ceremony will be in February of each year. After that, it is in May! This is very frustrating.

Hi, I am not in Atlanta, but I am in the same situation as you waiting for my oath letter (and yes name change). So can you tell me which office of the court did you call to ask about the oath ceremony schedule? Was it the Clerk's office?

Hi, I am not in Atlanta, but I am in the same situation as you waiting for my oath letter (and yes name change). So can you tell me which office of the court did you call to ask about the oath ceremony schedule? Was it the Clerk's office?

It depends. Try contacting the Naturalization or Jury Selection office in your District Court.

Al - Can you kindly point me to any pointers on how to go about this route? Really depressing as I have a pressing need to get this taken care of. If USCIS would allow me to go through the normal admin oath, I can take care of the name-change myself. But, I am not sure if USCIS will act on my request.

It seems as if USCIS won't withdraw your name change request, which means you might have to wait a little longer. However, look at the link below in which will give you an idea on how to go about your name change request. I am not sure if you have access to GA court records, you can see if USCIS has put documentation for your name change through the GA court system, which will give you an idea of how far in the process is the request. If you were going to do a name change request via the court system, I believe the standard processing time is about 30 days, which include putting a notice on a local paper, paying name change fees and a judge granting the request after 30 days.

http://www.ilrg.com/forms/namechange-adult/us/ga

http://www.georgianamechangelaw.com/

Thanks, Al. The whole thing is crazy. To give you an example, my birth certificate says "KANIYAN MIDDLENAME SOMENAME.P" instead of say "KANIYAN MIDDLENAME POONGUNRANAR". In other words, the lastname on my BC is initialized instead of expanded. That's all to it. Now, everywhere -- right from my SSN to my DL to every single damn document within the US, my name is always "KANIYAN SOMENAME POONGUNRANAR", including Indian passport that has my name as KANIYAN MIDDLENAME SOMENAME POONGUNRANAR with POONGUNRANAR at the SURNAME column.

So, if USCIS accedes to my request to withdraw the name-change, I guess, they will give me Naturalization Certificate with name "KANIYAN MIDDLENAME SOMENAME.P" and then I will have to change it through the Georgia courts to what it always was! So, the US Judge is going to laugh because the name I am "changing to" was always the name in the US, whereas what the Naturalization Certificate says will be the "new name" that never existed in the US ever.

Fun, fun, fun. Ridiculous and wickedly fun.