My rough interview experience and RFE

Mordin

Registered Users (C)
Hello,
I've been married for 6 months now and we had our AOS interview at the end of July.
We got seperated right away, I got called in first, asked question for 15-20 minutes (everything was recorded on video) and then my wife got called in, took a seat right next to me and was asked the same questions.
The questions were like; what we did yesterday, how we met, who was present when we first met and so on... Of course our answers matched, we were unsure in like one question. After this the Immigration Offcier started to go through our pictures asking us where they were taken. She was flipping through our joint documents, which we unfortunately didn't have too many (because of my lack of SSN, we couldn't have a joint lease, life insurance...). She got "angry" at us and said: "Is that all you have???". I was like, sorry, this is all. She acted like She didn't want to approve my case the whole time. The interview lasted for about 45-50 minutes. I was sweating in the last 10. She started to flip through all the papers again, while She sighed big, like She wants this day to be over already. She printed out a paper and handed it to me, it was a RFE asking for three affidavits that know us as a couple and must be notarizad. We were given 30 days to fulfill the request. Of course I sent in the three letters the next week but I haven't heard anything from them since then. The online tracker is still at "Inital Review" both on the I-130 and the I-485 status.
When can I expect something from them? Why were we interrogated like this? We're both white, I'm 27, my wife is 25 no cultural or relgion differences or anything like that. I'm just really nervous, even though I sent in the RFE papers, I'm not so sure now that we are going to get approved. Has anybody experienced anything like this on this forum?

You just had an I/O who probably had greasy burritos for lunch. It seems that your marriage is real, so you have nothing to worry about. If you don't get any response within 30 days, do an infoPass appt to check on it.

First thing is, yes you were unfortunate enough to get a difficult I/O. Sorry about that :(

Secondly, people here often say that lease and joint bank account and other legal/financial documents are the strongest evidence. I had no SSN either but my spouse was able to add my name to the existing lease and existing bank account, so that we have joint accounts. I'm sure many banks allow that - it took like 10mins for us to do that. We were able to add my name on electricity bills and stuff, and life insurance. In the worst case, if you have a second interview or they ask for more documents, you should try to get those.

Lastly, (this is just my guess), probably they randomly choose a certain percentage of people to do video recording and separate interview, for quality assurance purpose? Otherwise, do you think there's anything in your application/circumstance that may raise a red flag?

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, thank you for your responses!

It was my I-130 AOS interview, not the I-751.
The interview was on a monday and my EAD arrived two days earlier on a saturday. Of course as soon as I received my SSN, we got all the joint documents done, so if there'll be a second interview, we'll have those!
The EAD stuff went through smoothly, so I don't think there should be anything that raises the red flag.
Nothing out of the ordinary in out paperwork! I hope you were right and this was just a "quality assurance" thing.
As I said she couldn'y ask anything that we didn't know the anwser to.
I hope I hear from them soon, it's really nerve-wrecking not to know what's going on!

Well, appaerently there was something there, because she tortured us for almost an hour :)
She did ask me if I knew what to do to remove the conditions when the interview was over and I said "Yes, I read it on the web". She said "okay", and gave me the RFR paper.

Last edited by a moderator:
You were probably "tortured" because of the severe lack of documents. That in itself is a red flag.

Or do you have some immigration irregularities or violations in the past?

No, no irregularities or violations whatsoever.

Prepare for another round of hell, this time might involve a grizzly bear scratching your behind... USCIS once in a while smell blood in the water, and they will go after you for a while.

Prepare for another round of hell, this time might involve a grizzly bear scratching your behind... USCIS once in a while smell blood in the water, and they will go after you for a while.

We have nothing to hide. I'm just hoping that asubmitting the affidavit letters what they asked for, I'm not going to get declined.
I'll be more prepared if there will be a second interview or on the I751 if there's going to be one. I'll learned my lesson the hard way :(

We have nothing to hide. I'm just hoping that asubmitting the affidavit letters what they asked for, I'm not going to get declined.
I'll be more prepared if there will be a second interview or on the I751 if there's going to be one. I'll learned my lesson the hard way :(

I hardly have no stake in whether you are approved or not, but what I know is that USCIS actually maintain a volt of hell. It is usually sent to DO's where fake couples are routinely tortured and called for second interviews, in which a grizzly bear is used to tear the truth out of them, and they are immediately approved. Once you are approved, you will be send to emergency room for medical attention from the sharp nails of the bear. If I were you, would prepare like my life depended on it.

...And also, because my printer died on me, the RFE cover letter is handwritten by me. I hope the immigration officer won't find that disrespectful...

What's "DO's"?

One more reason for you to educate yourself about this immigration stuff. DO stands for District Office which is where your interview or rather "hellish interview" was held. As I said, prepare like your life is depended on it. Have you ever heard of kinkos? Find kinkos in your area, take a flash drive to their office and print your response to the RFE, you don't want the officer to think you still live in the dark ages of no computers, do you? Plus, who want to try to analyze what you were trying to write? Give the RFE submission your best shot or you will be in for another water boarding...

A little update: I made an Infopass for the 21th of this month. I didn't get to see an IO /as I suspected before/ instead the lady at the reception asked me how can she help today.
I explained my situation, I'd like to make sure nothing is missing, and somebody's working on the case. She asked for my A# and then was looking at the computer for a while and appareantly found nothing. She asked me twice when our AOS interview was.
She said the IO that interviewed us had an accident and was out of the office for a month, but she's back now. And then receptionist lady went back to the offices /where the interviews take place/ and came back in about 30 seconds and said the IO got the letters for RFE but hasn't had time to work on my case yet because she is really backed up after not being in office for a month. So I'm guessing I'm not really going to hear anything from USCIS till Christmas, or so...

ps: If anyone on this forum is having a case that's taking so long and had their interview in the Louisville field office in July, here's the reason.

I am almost in the same situation like your but as for my case our interview went well and we where separated and ask question but our answer was correct and till date we have not received any update no lud,but now we were told our case as been assign to an office or a supervisor,you will be find because you where given rfe,so you no your case is been worked on.

We had a similar AOS interview experience, the officer sent us to a second interview right away although we are a perfect couple. After the second interview, took 3 hours and videotaped, we did not get ans answer. We are waiting the answer from the mail. If we don't hear back from them, we will call but it is too early for now. Where have you been interviewed?

We had a similar AOS interview experience, the officer sent us to a second interview right away although we are a perfect couple. After the second interview, took 3 hours and videotaped, we did not get ans answer. We are waiting the answer from the mail. If we don't hear back from them, we will call but it is too early for now. Where have you been interviewed?

Hello,

A lot of things happened since the last time I posted here. I received a letter from INS in October stating that they are about to deny my case, because of the lack of evidence. I hired an attorney and he helped me submit the necessary documents.
We submitted the documents on the first week of December. I just received today an email from USCIS, that my GC production has been ordered and I should receive it within 30 days :) /We are very happy, it's my wife's birthday too tomorrow, so we can celebrate double :)/
I hope it's gonna work out for you too, I'm sure it will. After the RFE it's gonna take 3-4 months to hear from them, but you'll be fine if you have all the evidence they need.
My interview was in Louisville, KY.

Thankyou for the update. Your case just gave me what i needed for the new year. NEW HOPE...
Good luck !!!