N-400 with approved N-470 -- Question..

CORAINT

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone,
Please share your experiences during the citizenship interview when you have an approved N-470.

I became a PR on June 2005, and due to my international business travels I applied for an N-470 and got that approved in 2007.
I went and stayed out of the US for the business purposes. However, as my schedule allowed me and also just to be on the safe side, I never stayed out of the US for more than 6 months anyways. I have had 5 separate trips that lasted between 3 to 5.5 months.

Finally this May, I did apply for my citizenship. I have disclosed all of my travels and the result is 714 days out of the US which well within the limits for a 5 year GC based citizenship application.

Now, my inquiry from you guys is if people who have gone through citizenship interviews with approved N-470 forms can write about their experiences, and the approaches of the Interview Officers on such cases, I will be more comfortable.

Your advises are appreciated. Thanks.

-----------------------------------
DO: MIAMI District Office

05/20/2010 - N-400 mailed to TX
05/20/2010 - N-400 delivered
05/21/2010 : Priority Date
05/27/2010 : Notice Date
06/01/2010 : NOA Recvd
06 /11/ 2010 : Online Tracking Available (RFE sent on 06/09/2010)
06/11 2010 : FP Notice Received
06/18/2010 : Fingerprint done (walk-in to Oakland Park Blv Service Center - Original FP Notice interview was 7/7/10 at Miami service center)

Thanks Bobsmyth..
I actually did a search on the previous treads, however, I could not locate any interview experiences with N-470 and advises..
Thus, I'll be glad if people share experiences or provide me with appropriate links.
BRGDS.

06/18/2010 : Fingerprint done (walk-in to Oakland Park Blv Service Center - Original FP Notice interview was 7/7/10 at Miami service center)

Hi Coraint,

Just like you, I am also going through N-470+Re-Entry Permit. I have single long trip of little less than 2 years and couple of small trips.Did you got your interview scheduled? I have interview on 8/16 and will be able to post my experience after that. If by any chance you have interview earlier than me, please post your experience.

Thanks, Good Luck and Wish me Luck.

Regards

Hi Coraint and abc_xyz,

I am in the same boat. Wating for my interview letter. I have about 6 trips anywhere from 3 weeks to 1.5 years. Total number of days outside the USA 889. Please do share your experince. Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi folks

I did not find any interview experiences for someone with N470 and REPS. I have a N470 since 2009 and one trip of 220 days before that because spouse was denied N470 and I did not come back in 6 months hoping that would be approved.
Interview was yesterday in sfo and result was N-14 will be mailed( option B decison cannot be made at this time) ..which basically means they need additional information for the 220 day trip. You can be rest assured you will be asked for a recent paystub and a employment letter to verify that you are still meeting the conditons of N470. job duties to match initial letter. then everything else was as on N400 application. Most likely you will get a experience IO since N470 are considered complex cases my IO said it himself. If you are still owrking outside the country and have a local address and are renting please have rent receipts....Good luck and let me know the outcomes after your interview and feel free to ask any q
ART

I cleared my N-470 based interview. Officer was not aware about N-470 can be used for private US companies so he went to his Director for review during interview. After review he asked for Tax filings and Job letter.

Above set of doc are for my case.As far as documents are concerned you should carry each and everything which proves your intention as proof of burden lies on applicant.

Hi folks

I did not find any interview experiences for someone with N470 and REPS. I have a N470 since 2009 and one trip of 220 days before that because spouse was denied N470 and I did not come back in 6 months hoping that would be approved.
Interview was yesterday in sfo and result was N-14 will be mailed( option B decison cannot be made at this time) ..which basically means they need additional information for the 220 day trip. You can be rest assured you will be asked for a recent paystub and a employment letter to verify that you are still meeting the conditons of N470. job duties to match initial letter. then everything else was as on N400 application. Most likely you will get a experience IO since N470 are considered complex cases my IO said it himself. If you are still owrking outside the country and have a local address and are renting please have rent receipts....Good luck and let me know the outcomes after your interview and feel free to ask any q
ART

Hi, I hope the problems are solved after N-14.. any updates?

Eventhough, I do not have any single trip more than 180 days, I think I'll just take all available pile of documents with me to the interview..

I cleared my N-470 based interview. Officer was not aware about N-470 can be used for private US companies so he went to his Director for review during interview. After review he asked for Tax filings and Job letter.

Above set of doc are for my case.As far as documents are concerned you should carry each and everything which proves your intention as proof of burden lies on applicant.

Hey, I am happy to hear that you are cleared..

I understand that I shall need to take any and all docs that I can gather to meet any questions/requests of the IO..

You mentioned that the IO asked for tax filings and job letter... did you give copies of tax returns or did you take tax transcripts?.. and "job letter".. what do you mean by that? I will appreciate if you may clarify..

Thanks a lot..

Oh by the way.. I am still waiting for my Interview Letter...

08/02/2120 : YL (dated 7/28 - bring your state issued driver's license or id)

Oh by the way.. I am still waiting for my Interview Letter...

08/02/2120 : YL (dated 7/28 - bring your state issued driver's license or id)

Interview Letter arrived..

Today, we received the Interview Letter (finally)..

08/02/2010 : YL (dated 7/28 - bring your state issued driver's license or id)
09/01/2010 : Case Sent to Local Office
09/03/2010 : Interview Letter Received
10/06/2010 : Interview Scheduled at Miami District Office

Hey Coraint
Did you have your interview already? Please update. I still am yet to hear about my case after submitting the N14. I thot I'd wait 90 days and then do an infopass or contact senator. Can anyone recommend one or the other

Thanks

Hey Coraint
Did you have your interview already? Please update. I still am yet to hear about my case after submitting the N14. I thot I'd wait 90 days and then do an infopass or contact senator. Can anyone recommend one or the other

Thanks

Hi ART2010,

Yes I and my wife took our interviews last wednesday.
The tests were ok, we passed. But when it came to the long stays out of the US, the trouble begun.
First of all, N-470 did not have any effect, because we did not stay out of the US for more than 180 days at one trip. Therefore, both my and my wife's IO ignored the N-470.

From the other side, my IO was a nice guy, he said this is routine process for people who have long trips, and for the file we must present passport copies and other documents that show our ties with the US. I had most of the documents, but not the copy of my passports. He said you can go out have the photocopies taken and come back in the afternoon with the copies and also additional documents if any. Therefore, I left and came back with documents. He said he would review them and I'll receive the result (hopefully oath letter) by mail. He did not give me N-14, but still my status is "decision not made".

My wife's IO was a trouble. She forced my wife and asked her lots of questions. At the end she gave an N-14 to my wife. My wife gave Tax Returns, Utility Bills, Bank Account Statements, but the IO said "No, go get more documents, and copies of your passports". She did not offer her to go get the documents in the same day.

As a result, 1) N-470 was no use because we did not stay out of the US for more than 6 month at any of the trips 2) My wife has an N-14, we have immediately mailed the documents 3) I am only waiting for the result even though I do not have an N-14.

ART2010, my suggestion is that do not delay making an InfoPass. Go an check the status of your case. It is always good to push these USCIS guys. Additionally, I have read in many threads that people are approved but somehow their letters are not mailed.

By the way, what was your District Office and how long have been waiting since the interview?

Thanks and best of luck..

First of all, N-470 did not have any effect, because we did not stay out of the US for more than 180 days at one trip.
That is not correct. You can be found to break continuous residence if you have multiple long trips of under 180 days each. So the N-470 would protect your continuous residence in such situations.

Your problem is that you had long trips outside the validity period of the N-470.

I completely agree with you Jackolantern.. that was my main thought as well.
However, this was what the IO said in the first place.
Also, we were asked to produce documents not only period outside the N-470 but also the whole 5 year period..

I completely agree with you Jackolantern.. that was my main thought as well.
However, this was what the IO said in the first place.
Also, we were asked to produce documents not only period outside the N-470 but also the whole 5 year period..
As abc_xyz explained above, some officers are not properly educated about the N-470.

I hope you showed the N-470 and pointed out the period which it covered.

If you are denied for any trip within the N-470 validity, you should easily win the appeal (assuming you were working for the stated company during that time and your wife was accompanying you, not spending months in a different country).

As abc_xyz explained above, some officers are not properly educated about the N-470.

If you are denied for any trip within the N-470 validity, you should easily win the appeal (assuming you were working for the stated company during that time and your wife was accompanying you, not spending months in a different country).

Yes indeed.

I am currently expecting the response. At least for the time being we are not denied.

As my wife and I have given them all of the documents that they've asked for, I have strong belief (at least hope) that we both shall be approved. Until the result letter is received it is really hard to say much. If they deny, we shall definitely appeal just as you stated.

I will share the developments both in this thread and in May 2010 applicants thread.
Regards.

Thanks Coraint,my interview was on Aug 4th and at SFO Sansome St and still waiting. I have an infopass on oct 13th. Any suggestions to make it more beneficial. I have heard that sometimes the IO you get will not answer anything if asked abt case update. Any ideas
Thanks

Can anyone suggestion any method by which I can get the Customer service rep on the 1800 number to transfer the call to level 2 csr for more information? My exp has always been where the level 1 csr reads pre printed stuff which gives no information since they cannot see specific information. Any suggestions appreicated Thanks

Get your facts right:
(a) If you travel for the approved purpose and employer, after N470 approval, you don't need to maintain residential ties to US when you're away.
(b) N470 covers any travel, even if it's 1 day long

Your case is on autopilot and you can't do a damn thing to get involved until one of below happens:
(a) A decision is made [you can appeal it]
(b) After 90 days have passed after interview [infopass officer will do an internal followup]
(b) After 120 days have passed after interview [you can sue them]

Many junior officers are only paper gathering automatons who will refer anything but the most straightforward case to a senior officer. That'll take 1-3 months. It looks like that's what happened to you, so chill out for a few months. Unless there are complications you have not posted here, you WILL GET APPROVED.

Last edited by a moderator: