• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 Photoshop Optimize Allowed: 600 pixel x 600 pixel, reduce size < 240KB

no_trying

Registered Users (C)
I have a 600x600 pixel pic which is 240 KB. If you upload a 240KB pic which is 600x600 pixel you will get a warning. I have optimized the pic that is 600x600 pixel from 240 KB to something smaller size, 185 KB, but still 600x600 pixel by doing:

Photoshop -> File -> Save For the Web -> Optimized

Would optimizing the pic in Photoshop result in disqualification?

Pick is saved as jpeg. I don't remember exact warning, but something like your pic size is 240 KB limit. I would like to photo validate the picture, but US Goverment DV 2011 Photo Validator server is not responding due heavy usage. Anyone got their photo validated?

Does optimizing the pic in photoshop distort the pic in anyway? I think optimizing the pic in photoshop just minimize the colors but it will be still 24 bit color pictures.

My picture says:
Current Colors: 16,7 Millions (24 BitsPerPixel)

According to DV 2011 instructions for digital picture:
Taking a New Digital Image. If a new digital image is taken, it must meet the following specifications:
Image File Format:
The image must be in the Joint Photographic Experts Group (JPEG) format.
 Image File Size:
The maximum image file size is 240 kilobytes (240 KB).
 Image Resolution and Dimensions:
Minimum acceptable dimensions are 600 pixels (width) x 600 pixels (height). Image pixel dimensions must be in a square aspect ratio (meaning the height must be equal to the width).
 Image Color Depth:
24-bit color [Note: Color photographs are required. Black and white,
monochrome images (2-bit color depth), 8-bit color, or 8-bit grayscale will not be accepted.]

My photo was validated, but that was last week. I'm not sure if optimising the photo would get it disqualified or not I know the validator gave you a warning, but, if it meets the 600x600 pixel, 240kb requirement and the compositional requirement you shouldn't have a problem.

Technically, you're photo should be fine even though it's right on the 240kb limit.

I am setting the dimensios at 600 by 600 pixels with a resolution of 150 dots per inch but the size is much bigger than 240kb. I don't know how you did it . I have a mac comp maybe that is the problem . I remember when I had a pc it was very easy to do it.Please reply if you know how you can help me.Thanks.

I am setting the dimensios at 600 by 600 pixels with a resolution of 150 dots per inch but the size is much bigger than 240kb. I don't know how you did it . I have a mac comp maybe that is the problem . I remember when I had a pc it was very easy to do it.Please reply if you know how you can help me.Thanks.

When I was trying to get the photo done for the lottery, I found that some file extensions (.png or .bmp for example) gave out files much bigger than the 240kb allowance. Once I saved it as a .jpeg file though, it was under the 240kb limit.

When I was trying to get the photo done for the lottery, I found that some file extensions (.png or .bmp for example) gave out files much bigger than the 240kb allowance. Once I saved it as a .jpeg file though, it was under the 240kb limit.

Size of the jpeg file all depends on how fancy and expensive camera you have. More expensive with high megapixel, larger the jpeg file even if it is 600x600 pixel.

Does photo taken by digital camera have to be 150dpi? I thought this is only requriement for photo scanned.

My digital camera photo is 600x600 pixel with 300 dpi which is 240KB. How do you change 300 dpi to 150 dpi in Photoshop and still have 2 in x 2 in pic?

In DV 2011 size in inches are not important as long as you have 600x600 pixel pic with less than 240KB. Someon who has gone through DV 2011 Photo Validator correct me if I am wrong. DV 2011 Photo Validator is inaccessible as of now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Size of the jpeg file all depends on how fancy and expensive camera you have. More expensive with high megapixel, larger the jpeg file even if it is 600x600 pixel.

I took mine with a 12 megapixel camera and still managed to get the photo under 100kb after resizing to 600x600 pixels. I think your right about the 150 dpi btw, it's only for scanned images. If the photo is taken with a digital camera that doesn't apply.

I took mine with a 12 megapixel camera and still managed to get the photo under 100kb after resizing to 600x600 pixels. I think your right about the 150 dpi btw, it's only for scanned images. If the photo is taken with a digital camera that doesn't apply.

What extension did you give your jpeg file, i.e my_dv_picture.jpg or my_dv_picture.jpeg?

I have it as my_dv_picture.jpg and photo validator server is f**ked up and not responding to the request for photo validation.

It does not matter how expensive your camera is, all 600x600 pixel images taken with any camera (and saved with the same compression) will be of the same size.

Last year in DV 2010, I took my picture with a digital camera, uploaded it into my computer, and resized it to 600 x 600 pixels as required using some photo shop manager. But during the process I found that 600 x 600 was not a normal dimension. The picture came out distorted as it is not the normal dimension. According to photoshop the dimension that naturally go with 600 is 400 and thus 600 x 400 which makes the picture looks rectangular and thus normal rather than square (abnormal) and distorted in 600 x 600. I found that each certain length of a picture had its own width that go together perfectly resulting in nondistorted picture.
Anybody has any idea why they require such an abnormal square dimension 600 x 600 rather than the normal 600 x 400? Actually, I had some difficulty transforming from 600 x 600 to 600 x 400.
Or maybe I have less technical knowledge than others in this matter? If so, kindly please help/guide. It will most appreciated!
Thank you very much in advance.

I am having problems having my photo validated using COREL PhotoShop. It gives 600x450 instead of the required 600X600.
Any ideas how to get around this?

988getvisa

I would say the US gov likes square ID photos for any matters from my experience -- for example passport or other visa applications.

I believe you can't just resize your photo, but need to trim your original photo into square, then rezise it. This way, you can avoid distortion. You may also need to resample (changing resolution) so that the photo is less than 240KB.

Good luck

I am having problems having my photo validated using COREL PhotoShop. It gives 600x450 instead of the required 600X600.
Any ideas how to get around this?
That's what happened to me. I was using some photoshop manager and there was a drop down menu which gave selection of the lengths of a picture. For example 400, 600, 800, and so on and when one clicked 600 it would give its accompany width which in our case is 450 (sorry, 400 wasn't correct as I had mentioned above). If one clicked 800 it would also give its accompany width and so on........and one could see the picture looked normal, yet when I changed the dimension manually making the picture 600 x 600 the picture looked distorted because this dimension is abnormal since they're formed based on pixels. I sense that if they had the dimensions in the regular metric system it would have been alright to be square, but the matter is how to transform from pixels dimension into a regular metric system----600 X 600 pixels is equal to what cm times what cm in metric system? Anyone has this knowledge? It will be most appreciated if you can explain.
Thank you!!

988getvisa

I would say the US gov likes square ID photos for any matters from my experience -- for example passport or other visa applications.

I believe you can't just resize your photo, but need to trim your original photo into square, then rezise it. This way, you can avoid distortion. You may also need to resample (changing resolution) so that the photo is less than 240KB.

Good luck
Hi, Kino
I tried to use my photo that I trimmed into square and uploaded into my computer and scanned it to be sent, but it just wouldn't work. I didn't know what cm x cm equals 600 x 600 pixels (as I had explained above) and the government wants it 600 x 600 precisely. Pixels measurement is used in digital world and cm or inc is used in nondigital world. Is there a conversion chart from pixels dimension to cm or inch measurement online? Anyone knows?
Also, how did you do it Kino? How did you get your picture to have 600 x 600 without distorting your picture to be sent? Is 240 KB naturally the same as 600 x 600 in a picture? Hope you'll be glad to describe step by step of the process. :)
Also, to others please answer the questions above if you have the knowledge. It will be most appreciated.
Thank you very much!!

What extension did you give your jpeg file, i.e my_dv_picture.jpg or my_dv_picture.jpeg?

I have it as my_dv_picture.jpg and photo validator server is f**ked up and not responding to the request for photo validation.

My photo was saved as a my_photo.jpg. The validator was a pain for me to deal with as well. It wouldn't work if I tried from linux. IE6 and windows worked a treat for me though if that's any use to you.

988getvisa

Also, how did you do it Kino? -- I use Photoshop and Corel Draw X3 to edit photos.

How did you get your picture to have 600 x 600 without distorting your picture to be sent? -- First, I take a photo much bigger than 600x600 (or 600x400 or whatever the size is. the bigger the better). Second, I trim it into square, following all the requirements (the size of face and the position of eyes). Then, I resize it to 600x600 pixel. Finally, I make the resolution 150dpi (dots per inch).

Is 240 KB naturally the same as 600 x 600 in a picture? -- It depends on the dpi.

When I made mine, it was 600x600 pixel, 150dpi, 2inchx2inch, and 65kb.

Good luck

Last year in DV 2010, I took my picture with a digital camera, uploaded it into my computer, and resized it to 600 x 600 pixels as required using some photo shop manager. But during the process I found that 600 x 600 was not a normal dimension. The picture came out distorted as it is not the normal dimension. According to photoshop the dimension that naturally go with 600 is 400 and thus 600 x 400 which makes the picture looks rectangular and thus normal rather than square (abnormal) and distorted in 600 x 600. I found that each certain length of a picture had its own width that go together perfectly resulting in nondistorted picture.
Anybody has any idea why they require such an abnormal square dimension 600 x 600 rather than the normal 600 x 400? Actually, I had some difficulty transforming from 600 x 600 to 600 x 400.
Or maybe I have less technical knowledge than others in this matter? If so, kindly please help/guide. It will most appreciated!
Thank you very much in advance.

hello, i had to take the pic using 800 X 600 and using microsoft picture manager, clik on edit pic and select crop. crop the higer part to 600 and you are done. you have a pic in 600 X 600 and the size will be withen the aceptable range.
All the best.