Dress Code for Naturalization Interview

aubonpain

Registered Users (C)
What should be the dress code for Naturalization interview ?
- Suit ? or just dress shirt and pant ?
For Civic questions, do we have to explain the answers in detail or just whatever given in test prep book ?
Do we have to carry all the documents required like birth certificate and such ? or just the list of documents specified in the yellow document check list ?

For Civic questions, do we have to explain the answers in detail or just whatever given in test prep book ?
Do we have to carry all the documents required like birth certificate and such ? or just the list of documents specified in the yellow document check list ?

#1. Dress - can't be too casual. However, suit is not required. Dress shirt and pant, as you said, would do fine.

#2. Civics - If the IO says "Name One", you name one, if the IO says "Name Two", you name name two, and no more. There are not going to be descriptive questions, and it is all from the book.
** Edit - IO might say "what is" - any one valid answer is sufficient there. ** End Edit

#3. Documents - Minimum is what is asked. You can carry more if you expect scrutiny in some area (marriage, employment, taxes, tickets) ... this is mostly for safety otherwise the IO will ask you to bring them back or issue an RFE. If you got the yellow letter, most likely they already scrutinized the key things they need.

Just dress shirt and pant will do. The answers to civics questions are usually one or two words. The civics test is simple one with 10 questions. Carry all the original docs with you just in case, but IO is more likely to asks questions on your N-400. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I went in with buttoned, short sleeve shirt and khaki pants. I saw a man in shorts and t-shirt in the ceremony :O

Hi
Carry all the immigration docs you have, in my interview the officer was searching for the H1 I filed 7 years back and when I showed him the copy I had, he went through it and thanked me.

Hi
Carry all the immigration docs you have, in my interview the officer was searching for the H1 I filed 7 years back and when I showed him the copy I had, he went through it and thanked me.
Just Inqiusitive.
Nprmally will IO have the phisical file with all (say 10-15 years) papers with him?or he will see on his computer?
In this case why he is searching 7 years back papers(H1).any issue he finds to question or just searching casual.?
(This infomation will help in understanding how IO looks in to the cases please.what to be prepared.Thanks)

Just Inqiusitive.
Nprmally will IO have the phisical file with all (say 10-15 years) papers with him?or he will see on his computer?
In this case why he is searching 7 years back papers(H1).any issue he finds to question or just searching casual.?
(This infomation will help in understanding how IO looks in to the cases please.what to be prepared.Thanks)

USCIS is still largely a paper based agency..until they fully convert over to a online system of scanned documents, all your past immigration documents are in your case file at interview.

Also this gives an indication that IO will not peruse the file before candidate's interview but at the same time of inteviewing only,it seems.thanks.

Not quite. Some people get yellow letters requesting additional documentation. So do not. Pretty sure the officer does a perusal if not a serious review even before the interview letter is dispatched.

Not quite. Some people get yellow letters requesting additional documentation. So do not. Pretty sure the officer does a perusal if not a serious review even before the interview letter is dispatched.

The yellow letter is issued from NBC. I doubt any IOs who give out yellow letter will pass his review results to the IO.