Parents' extension or stay denied - Is B2 visa void?

freebirdatlast

Registered Users (C)
This is a question to Mr. Khanna. Others feel free to respond provided you know the US immigration laws very well.

My parents have a 10 year multiple entry B2 visa which is valid until 2015. There were recently here in the US from December 2008 to July 2009. I wanted to extend their stay so I filed an extension of stay in 3rd week of April 2009 about 40 days before their I-94 expiration date (June 2, 2009).
I-539 was denied and received a letter from USCIS on July 6th saying they have 30 days from June 27th 2009 to leave the country otherwise face deportation. They left the country on 7/10/2009.

My question is “Is their multiple entry B2 still valid?”. I am seeing so many people say that once you are out of status the B2 visa automatically become void, but there are others who disagree. There is nothing on the USCIS web site that says your visa would become void if you leave the country within the demanded period of time (30 days). My point is, they have not done anything illegal during their stay. They had followed the process correctly by asking for an extension of stay, which when rejected they left the country as soon as possible. So how could the B2 technically become void?

Mr. Khanna could you please throw some light on my problem here? Maybe you could point me to a USCIS website that explains this clearly because I couldn’t find anything online and I don’t want to rely on people who say things out of speculation. When I called USCIS their Cust reps didn’t have much knowledge about this.

Thanks a lot.

Thanks. USCIS web site clearly states that 222(g) is applicable if you are in the country illegally or if you are out of status.
My understanding is when you apply for extension of status, you are still in status until extension is denied. That's why USCIS gives you a grace period of 30 days to get the hell out of the country.
So if you have followed their process and waited to get a response and left
almost immediately, how would 222(g) be applicable to you?

The denial letter mentions the 30 days to depart gracefully, before any possible deportation. The visa belongs to the State Department, and not the Department of Homeland Security.

So if you have followed their process and waited to get a response and left
almost immediately, how would 222(g) be applicable to you?

As I said before, the 30 days are given to gracefully depart. That does nothing to change the fact that the visitor, with a denied I-539, has overstayed his/her authorized stay. Why do you think it is so important to file an I-539 only when there is a genuine life/death situation?

That's why if denied, they give you 30 days to leave although it is never clearly mentioned what will happen to your Visa if you don't.

Here is the deal.... A visa doesn't become void because you are out of status. The department of state has confirmed that their Visa is not void.

So this is a message to all who are wondering about the status of the visas of their parents or loved ones whose I-94 extension was denied and they were temporarily out of status before leaving the country.

I'm good now. I wish I had called the state department long ago....
Thanks for your response 3pl citizen.

That is a possibility. That's why they say keep all documents on hand when entering the country the next time. I recently checked with a friend and his parents were able to re-enter the US with the same Visa after they were out of status for a couple of weeks.
But as you say if the officer at POE is a dick-head he can deny entry.