July 2009 Family Based Filers - Post Here

I'm wondering if bad fingerprints could slow down our case? I'm desperate for the EAD so I can get a SS number - I can't get health insurance or a driving license or goodness knows what else until we have this. Frustrating.

Any idea how long it's taking for the EAD to come through after biometrics? I know we just have to be patient, it's just annoying because we keep trying to do things and then find out we can't without an SS number!!!

Give it 3 weeks...yes you are right we can't do anything unless we have the SSN. We can't open a joint account because the banks require my SSN...until now all i have is the health card which i am a dependent of my hubby.

good luck to us all!

Hi guys.
First of all i wanted to thank you for the time you take to share your experience with all us.
My timing is as below

08/11/09 sent applications to Chicago through Fedex
08/12/09 application received
08/22/09 received NOA for I130 I785 and I485
08/31/09 received biometrics appointment for 09/23/09
09/01/09 biometrics done (walk in)

when do u think i will receive the EAD and the interview date?
Again you guys are great

Hi guys.
First of all i wanted to thank you for the time you take to share your experience with all us.
My timing is as below

Again you guys are great

Hi alboguy, this forum is for july filers..there's a separate one for the august filers...but to answer your query, based on the experiences of the july filers..it takes 2-4 wks to get the EAD. Good luck.

I had told some August filers to check our thread out because some had questions about time lines, and we all have well detailed time lines.

Purple22, where are you from out of curiosity?

ilcitizen;2094395]When I am seeing the signatures it looks like most of you have sent it to the Chicago Lock box (and it also gives this location in USCIS website for Family Based GC's for certain criteria) but we have filed it at the National Benefits Center (and USCIS website also has the same info online for our application on I 485, I 765 and I 131).

1) Our notice says that the case is at NBC. Is it generally faster when we file forms at the Field office?

ilcitizen, thanks for the best wishes! I know that my case was handled at the NBC, and mine all went pretty quick. I do not think it matters where it is sent.

Thanks Spanish girl for your reply.

One more question...I went for my fingerprinting on Aug 22nd. How long do you think it will take for me to get the EAD?

Seeing your timelines it looks it takes minimum of 3 -4 weeks from the time you did your FP.

July 20 2009: Receipt Date
July 23 2009: Notice Date
July 27 2009; Checks Encashed
July 27 2009: NOA received
July 31 2009: Received Notice for FP (on Aug 22, 2009)
Aug 22 2009: FP Done for both I 485 and I 765

Thanks Spanish girl for your reply.

One more question...I went for my fingerprinting on Aug 22nd. How long do you think it will take for me to get the EAD?

Seeing your timelines it looks it takes minimum of 3 -4 weeks from the time you did your FP.

July 20 2009: Receipt Date
July 23 2009: Notice Date
July 27 2009; Checks Encashed
July 27 2009: NOA received
July 31 2009: Received Notice for FP (on Aug 22, 2009)
Aug 22 2009: FP Done for both I 485 and I 765

Well myself along with many others, thought it might speed up the process if we did walk-ins for our FP. I don't beleive it made a difference. What I see from other time lines is that it takes 1-2 weeks after the actual date from the FP appointment to hear anything.

I got my interview appnt before my EAD or AP... 1 week after I got the interview appnt. I got an e-mail about my EAD..... then my AP was in my mail box yesterday without warning, I never got an e-mail .. sooo lol I don't think there is an exact right answer, everyones time line is different.

I see your actual appnt was August 22, I would expect something in the mail or by e-mail next week.

Last edited by a moderator:
my EAD has been approved. It was mailed yesterday.

Application Type: I765 , APPLICATION FOR EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZATION

Current Status: Approval notice sent.

On September 2, 2009, we mailed you a notice that we have approved this I765 APPLICATION FOR EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZATION.......

looks like we are done and won't have to deal with this for the next 10 years .Below is the latest email received

*** DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS E-MAIL ***

The last processing action taken on your case

Receipt Number: MSC08xxxxxxxxxx3

Application Type: I485 , APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS

Current Status: Approval notice sent.

On September 3, 2009, we mailed you a notice that we have approved this I485 APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS. Please follow any instructions on the notice. If you move before you receive the notice, call customer service.

Hi guys.
My timing is as below

Again you guys are great

Can I ask you, how can you get your biometrics done on 09/01/2009 if your appointment date is 09/23/2009?

Thanks alot,

Can I ask you, how can you get your biometrics done on 09/01/2009 if your appointment date is 09/23/2009?

Thanks alot,

Yes, like Afrank said, he simply walked into the office. You can try to do this... but I don't think it speeds up your process. Many of us went in 1-2 weeks early and it didn't make a difference. If you are ABLE to make your FP appointment, then just do it then!

Well myself along with many others, thought it might speed up the process if we did walk-ins for our FP. I don't beleive it made a difference. What I see from other time lines is that it takes 1-2 weeks after the actual date from the FP appointment to hear anything.

I got my interview appnt before my EAD or AP... 1 week after I got the interview appnt. I got an e-mail about my EAD..... then my AP was in my mail box yesterday without warning, I never got an e-mail .. sooo lol I don't think there is an exact right answer, everyones time line is different.

I see your actual appnt was August 22, I would expect something in the mail or by e-mail next week.

Thanks Spanishgirl for your response...

Received mail from CRIS that the EAD card production has been ordered. I hope we receive the AP as well with it. The status on the AP has not changed though...

Thanks everyone for always giving a prompt reply.

I got 2 identical documents in the mail today:

I-512L authorization For parole of an alien into the USA.

I only got 2, does this mean I'm only allowed to leave and re-enter twice?
No. They may take one of them, but if they do that they will continue to stamp the remaining one you have. However, it is advisable to travel with a copy of it in addition to the two originals they give you. That way, if the airline or the port of entry asks to keep one of them after looking at it, you can ask if you can give them a copy and keep the original yourself for next time, and for their records they will usually accept the copy (but you still have to show the originals, of course). Normally you have to present both sheets (or all 3, if you were issued 3, as I was), so if you can avoid giving away one original that is better.

Be aware that when you arrive in the US with Advance Parole, you will be sent to the secondary inspection room (unless you go through US immigration before boarding the flight, like what happens in Toronto). Your own questioning should take less than 5 minutes when you reach the front of the line in there, but sometimes that room is busy with people with questionable immigration status, you could end up waiting more than an hour there. So if you have to go through immigration after initial arrival in the US but before going to your connecting flight, make sure you have at least 2 hours between flights so you don't miss the flight as a result of going to secondary inspection.
Now I am free to go back to Canada right?? I am aiming for the first week in October.
Yes you can go back now. But with your interview being this month, you might get the card or at least an I-551 stamp in your passport before you leave, so you wouldn't need to use Advance Parole.

No. They may take one of them, but if they do that they will continue to stamp the remaining one you have. However, it is advisable to travel with a copy of it in addition to the two originals they give you. That way, if the airline or the port of entry asks to keep one of them after looking at it, you can ask if you can give them a copy and keep the original yourself for next time, and for their records they will usually accept the copy (but you still have to show the originals, of course). Normally you have to present both sheets (or all 3, if you were issued 3, as I was), so if you can avoid giving away one original that is better.

Be aware that when you arrive in the US with Advance Parole, you will be sent to the secondary inspection room (unless you go through US immigration before boarding the flight, like what happens in Toronto). Your own questioning should take less than 5 minutes when you reach the front of the line in there, but sometimes that room is busy with people with questionable immigration status, you could end up waiting more than an hour there. So if you have to go through immigration after initial arrival in the US but before going to your connecting flight, make sure you have at least 2 hours between flights so you don't miss the flight as a result of going to secondary inspection.

Yes you can go back now. But with your interview being this month, you might get the card or at least an I-551 stamp in your passport before you leave, so you wouldn't need to use Advance Parole.

Thanks soo much for your helpful answers!

Must feel good!!! Way to go!!! Explain the process of getting your SSN for us, If you don't mind. I will be doing that hopefully next week!

just go to the ssn office with your ead and fill out the paperwork and that's about it, by the way if you are planning to travel back to Canada in the first week of October you will not be able to use your AP because if you do you will be abandoning your application because you will be paroled to travel which may cause a lot of complications what you may want to do is after your interview with the approval letter setup an infopass and request a stamp on your passport which will have you traveling on your new GC status instead of a paroled alien or you can also let the IO know that you need to travel urgently.

just go to the ssn office with your ead and fill out the paperwork and that's about it, by the way if you are planning to travel back to Canada in the first week of October you will not be able to use your AP because if you do you will be abandoning your application because you will be paroled to travel which may cause a lot of complications what you may want to do is after your interview with the approval letter setup an infopass and request a stamp on your passport which will have you traveling on your new GC status instead of a paroled alien or you can also let the IO know that you need to travel urgently.

Oh ok, I was under the impression that I got a stamp right away after my interview.

Thx for the info.

EAD Card ordered

I received an email that the EAD card has been ordered. It has been less than 2 weeks since FP date. It looks like early FP probably doesn't make much of a difference.