Will they take away my passport at the interview?

Cidadao

Hi guys,

I have the naturalization interview scheduled for July 27th. Will they take away my current passport (Portugal) during the interview? I am flying out of the country the following week, on August 4th and need my passport.

If they do take away my old passport, what are my options?

• Will they understand my situation and let me keep my passport?
  • Do I need to reschedule the interview?
  • If the interview is rescheduled, how long will I be delaying the process?

Rescheduling my trip is not an option.

Please advise. Thank you so much.

dont wory you can keep up to three citizenships. so they will not keep your passport.they just wana check your time period outside the usa.

Good luck,........... and wish me as my interview is coming next month

They will not take your passport but they will take your Green Card. Check with IO about your re-entry options because you get Citizenship certificate only after the Oath ceremony and then you can apply US passport.

They will not take your passport but they will take your Green Card. Check with IO about your re-entry options because you get Citizenship certificate only after the Oath ceremony and then you can apply US passport.

I need the Green Card in order to re-enter the US! What will be my options?

Also, can I request that my oath be on the same day? Will that keep my old passport after the oath?

Also, can I request that my oath be on the same day? Will that keep my old passport after the oath?

They will not take away your green card on the day of the interview (unless it varies from one DO to another).

You have to give it away during the oath ceremony so if you're planning to travel after the interview but before the oath ceremony you should be fine. As for requesting your oath on the same day as your interview, it depends on your DO, maybe that's something that they already do.

You do not need the green card, you need a US passport.
As a US citizen you must leave and enter the US only using your US Passport.

I am not sure but I think he's referring to a trip after the interview but before the oath, but yes if you take the oath then you will need a US passport.

They won't take the passport or the green card. Breath easy. However, if your office is one of those that do same day oath, then, yes, they will take the GC at the moment of the oath, not at the interview. I hope the distinction is clear.

They won't take your GC or foreign passport away at interview.

If you happen to have same day oath, then they will take away GC and you'll have to get a US passport before you leave to Portugal (unless of course if you ask for the oath to be rescheduled).

Last edited by a moderator:
dont wory you can keep up to three citizenships. so they will not keep your passport.they just wana check your time period outside the usa.

Good luck,........... and wish me as my interview is coming next month
Where do you get the figure three from? I don't believe there is, or could ever be, any limit provided all the countries involved support multiple nationalities.