Which passport to use after naturalization?

hamelionche

Registered Users (C)
Hello, I have one question.
Recently I became Naturalized US Citizen and I have to travel within two weeks to my country of birth for few months. I still have my passport from the country that I am born, but now I have the US Passport too. I wonder which passport I have to use when I:
1 - depart United States
2 - at the airports with the connecting flights
3 - arrive in my country of birth
4 - arrive back at United States

I appreciate the opinions in this forum and wait for some light in the tunnel. Thanks :)

You must use your new US Passport for all your travels in future as long as you continue to remain as a US Citizen. Frankly this is so obvious , I wonder why one should have any douts ! It is like asking , after getting your Oath and ceti. of Naturalization , " in which country do I have voting right ? "

Hello, I have one question.
Recently I became Naturalized US Citizen and I have to travel within two weeks to my country of birth for few months. I still have my passport from the country that I am born, but now I have the US Passport too. I wonder which passport I have to use when I:
1 - depart United States
2 - at the airports with the connecting flights
3 - arrive in my country of birth
4 - arrive back at United States

I appreciate the opinions in this forum and wait for some light in the tunnel. Thanks :)

1. US passport. However, you might need to use your old country's passport if otherwise you would need a visa to travel to that country. Basically, airlines need proof that you can be admitted in your destination country. If the US passport can get you in, then you just need to show the US passport to the airline.
2. Whichever you prefer. In general whichever is going to cause you less trouble. Let's say you are traveling to France, but make a stop in Amsterdam, it might be easier to show your French passport in Amsterdam to get in. Probably less paperwork.
3. Again, that's up to you, it is usually easier to get into a country as a citizen of that country (you don't need to fill immigration forms). At some point you will have to show your US passport when coming back if you stop at an intermediate airport, as the airline has to make sure you can get into the US.
4. Always US passport.

Bottom line, when coming back into the US definitely show your US passport, same when departing, so the airline won't ask you for I-94 or any other questions about how you were staying in the US if they decide to ask you that. Outside of the US do whatever you think is easier.

My 2 cents.

Entering and exiting the US always requires your US passport. When exiting, it's oke to show another passport as well in case a visa or ETA is required. And, yes, outside the US, I'd use whichever is easier/safer. The above example of an EU citizen using an EU passport to enter an EU country is a good one.

Passport confused????

No disrespect to anyone. But why did you file for Naturalization if you would not stick tothe OATH you took.

Yes Dual citizenship is not illegal, but you made an Alligence to your new country. And i understand people have rights to choose.

But think about this if using two passports have complications, then just use one. Your country of birth cannot refuse you a VISA. They need you!!! you are an American and a great influence to your country of birth.

Like i said though you have rights, and you can use both passports-
American to exit, other passport at other entry, US passport to Exit other country and US Passport to Enter US. :)confused:)

No disrespect to anyone. But why did you file for Naturalization if you would not stick tothe OATH you took.

Yes Dual citizenship is not illegal, but you made an Alligence to your new country. And i understand people have rights to choose.

But think about this if using two passports have complications, then just use one. Your country of birth cannot refuse you a VISA. They need you!!! you are an American and a great influence to your country of birth.

Like i said though you have rights, and you can use both passports-
American to exit, other passport at other entry, US passport to Exit other country and US Passport to Enter US. :)confused:)

Perhaps for some it's easier to travel to country of origin with existing passport or they rather not identify themselves as being American when traveling due to this negativity this brings in some parts of the world.

How about Canada via land?

Hi guys,

What if I'm going to Canada via land? We don't (at least the last time I did I didn't) stop at the US immigration. Which passport I show to the Canadian customs, my US or Canadian passport when I enter Canada? I guess it is the Canadian passport. When I come back I don't stop at the Canadian immigration. At the US immigration I guess I'd show the US passport. Correct me if I'm wrong. Tks.

Hi guys,

What if I'm going to Canada via land? We don't (at least the last time I did I didn't) stop at the US immigration. Which passport I show to the Canadian customs, my US or Canadian passport when I enter Canada? I guess it is the Canadian passport. When I come back I don't stop at the Canadian immigration. At the US immigration I guess I'd show the US passport. Correct me if I'm wrong. Tks.

You'd present your Canadian passport when entering Canada, and US passport when returning to US.

You'd present your Canadian passport when entering Canada, and US passport when returning to US.

Or just do what my relatives and I do, just use the US passport to save having to carry 2 passports with you.

Canada does expect if you are Canadian to show the Canadian passport, but many people don't bother getting a new Canadian one when their current one expires...

I dont recommend anyone to use two passports. In some countries it is illegal and they will detain you for further questioning your intention. I recommend anyone who have US passport to use that and carry the other one with you in case you want to exit India. If you are not going to india dont even bother!!!!! Why makes things harder bro that is already complicated.

Both citizenships

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the replies. I would like to maintain both citizenships. I also think (not sure though) it is better to be recognized as a Canadian when in Canada and as American when in the US. As such I think what Bobsmyth suggested is the way to go. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Tks.

what is the difference?? Since persons with both US and Canadian passports are allowed to enter both USA and Canada and vice vesa, why not use just one passport (i.e. just stick to US passport)? is there a reason why the person is not allowed to enter Canada using US passport or why the person is not allowed to enter USA using Canadian passport?

Two things that officiers said are:
1) The US does not allow dual citizenship - this was emphasized by USCIS officer during the recent citizenship oath ceremony.

2) http://www.richw.org/dualcit/faq.html or see this:
The official US State Department policy on dual citizenship today is that the United States does not favor it as a matter of policy because of various problems they feel it may cause, but the existence of dual citizenship is recognized (i.e., accepted) as a fact of life. That is, if you ask them if you ought to become a dual citizen, they will recommend against doing it; but if you tell them you are a dual citizen, they'll almost always say it's OK.

One huge difference.

A Canadian citizen has the right to enter Canada.
A US citizen has the right to enter the US.
A Canadian citizen can be given the privilege by an officer to enter the US.
A US citizen can be given the privilege by an officer to enter Canada.

what is the difference?? Since persons with both US and Canadian passports are allowed to enter both USA and Canada and vice vesa, why not use just one passport (i.e. just stick to US passport)? is there a reason why the person is not allowed to enter Canada using US passport or why the person is not allowed to enter USA using Canadian passport?

Just wondering....
Any German citizens out there? I am going to be a dual citizen (hopefully soon) :). What would happen if I jsut use my U.S. Passport to enter Germany - instead of using the German passport? Has anyone entered with a US Passport while being a dual citizen?

One huge difference.

A Canadian citizen has the right to enter Canada.
A US citizen has the right to enter the US.
A Canadian citizen can be given the privilege by an officer to enter the US.
A US citizen can be given the privilege by an officer to enter Canada.

I agree. Let's say that after having both citizenships one is detained in the US for drunk driving. My guess is that one won't be permitted to come into Canada as a US citizen anymore because of that crime, but one can get into Canada as a Canadian citizen, happy drunk or not ;) For most intents and purposes one can just travel to Canada with the US passport even if one is a Canadian citizen. Otherwise, driving a US car into Canada with a Canadian passport can lead to this line of questioning:
Canadian Officer (CO): What is your citizenship
Dual Citizen Driver (DCD): Canadian
CO (probably after seeing US license plates): Where do you live?
DCD: In Seattle
CO: What is your status in the US?
DCD: US citizen
CO: Huh!
DCD: Shows US passport.

DCD is allowed into Canada. Perhaps just showing a US passport can avoid this dual citizenship disclosure (which on the other hand is perfectly fine with Canada as far as I know).

What if the Canadian citizen, like me, was born outside Canada and the CIC officer does not see "Place of birth: Canada" on the US passport. What if the officer then decides to deny entry to this US citizen, who has no proof of Canadian citizenship on hand?

Bottom line is, is it worth not carrying a second passport when the person probably carries all of his 6 (or more) credit cards? :)

DCD is allowed into Canada. Perhaps just showing a US passport can avoid this dual citizenship disclosure (which on the other hand is perfectly fine with Canada as far as I know).

For USA - INDIA

If you are ( or formerly were ) an Indian citizen , Once you take up your Oath for US citizenship , you must use only youe new US passport . Please note India does not allow Dual Citizenship ! The moment you take up your Oath in USA, you loose or give up your Indian Citizenship.Hence you are not entitled to use or travel on Indian passport. However you are stiil a PIO ( Person of Indian Origin ) and so can get a PIO card or now OCI ( Overseas citizen of India ) booklet. OCI is not Dual citizenship but only a Registration as PIO/OCI.
After taking up US citizenship , it would be illigal to use or travel on Indian Passport. You just don't have the option of using Indian Passport at all.

My 13 year old sister has a green card. My parents recently naturalized as US citizens and promptly applied for a US passport for my sister. They received the passport within a few weeks. Interestingly, the green card was also returned to us with the passport. Since she is a US citizen what should we do with the green card? Are we required to send it back to USCIS? Is there an well defined procedure for this?