• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Can use mail forwarding service address for SS, Driver's License, Bank, Credit Card?

TommyEdo

Registered Users (C)
Could anyone know whether I could use a mail forwarding address such as Earth Class Mail for Driver License, SS and other institutional things? Will the department of transport and bank accept this address for my driver's license?

Reason being I will have to leave the US for a couple of months.

Thanks in anticipation.

Hi Taz. Thanks for the reply. Let's say the address to receive SSN is in Fremont, can I use a mail forwarding address let's say in SF to apply for driver license?

Tommy, please check the DMV website from the state you want apply for the drivers license.

You need in all states proof of your ID, which is based on a point system. E.g. in New Jersey they have a 6 point ID Verification + you need proof of address (utility, credit card bills etc pp).

Forget about a drivers license as long as you dont have your SSN card in hand.

No, you do not need a SSN to get a DL. At least in the South. My wife got her DL with a foreign passport, and nothing else, even without any utility bills.

Dont worry about a drivers license, thats the less important thing you need.

Most important is to get the SSN. For opening a bank account you dont need a one at most banks.

And forget about a credit card. Most you can get is a secured one or you are an American Express customer like we and can use their global transfer progam.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my DL in South Carolina without SSN and with a foriegn passport (on F2 Visa). That was last year. But as I remember I think I had to provide supporting documents for addresses and stuff.

Probably, she got DL before SSN became a requirement for DL.
I don't think so. And in fact, it is not a requirement, or better to say, it is not a requirement for everybody. I looked up the Texas Administrative Code, here is what rule §15.42 says about SSN:
"(a) The social security number shall be obtained from all applicants who have been issued a number by the United States Social Security Administration."
In my understanding, those who have not been issued a number, do not have to give it to DPS. Also, the said rule §15.42 says:
"(f) Applicants who state they have not applied for, have not been issued or do not have a social security number assigned by the Social Security Administration will be given the department's "Social Security" affidavit for completion."

I don't think so. And in fact, it is not a requirement, or better to say, it is not a requirement for everybody......."

Doesn't she need a SSN for other official paperwork? Am thinking public school systems (if you have kids), banks, credit cards etc.

Can you get a SSN if you are in F2 status anyway? I guess I have never thought about it....hmmmmmm....

Doesn't she need a SSN for other official paperwork? Am thinking public school systems (if you have kids), banks, credit cards etc.
Not really. When it is a must, we use my number (and the name, of course). At school we never had any problems at all; there is even no difference between our citizen and non-citizen kids. We just put n/a in a SSN field, and it works. As for banks and cards, the situation is much more complicated. Some banks (BoA, for example) will open accounts and give a credit card with ITIN, while others will not let you enter ITIN in the SSN field. (And some of these others will take ITIN if you come to the branch in person.)

Can you get a SSN if you are in F2 status anyway? I guess I have never thought about it....hmmmmmm....
I don't know anything about F2, my wife is a J-2. I heard that it was very easy to get SSN a few years ago, but now you need a whole bunch of papers for that. And F-2 are not allowed to work, is it so? J-2 can get a permit, and in this case (with employment letter), a J-2 could get a SSN, I guess. But check with your state, it may vary.