How long can a US citizen stay abroad?

Feb2005

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I've searched this forum looking for an answer to this question, but can't find it. Pretty sure it must have been asked.

Can someone please tell me if you know, for how long a US citizen can stay outside the US without losing the citizenship/and or having any sort of problem with the citizenship? I know for gc holders it is 6 months....but what abt citizens?

Thanks!

Hi,

I've searched this forum looking for an answer to this question, but can't find it. Pretty sure it must have been asked.

Can someone please tell me if you know, for how long a US citizen can stay outside the US without losing the citizenship/and or having any sort of problem with the citizenship? I know for gc holders it is 6 months....but what abt citizens?

Thanks!

forever :) you will not lose ur citizenship even if you move to a different country

Keep in mind though, legally US citizens are required to file 1040 every year, even if you are not staying in US. You will get credit for the taxes paid in that country but filing requirement is still there.

to quote the IO who interviewed/approved me this week:

"you can leave the US on the next flight out, right after your oath ceremony this afternoon!
and only come back until you feel like it! just don't forget to mail back your absentee ballots
every November"
(the IO said it with a big smile :) ) but I think I'll need a passport first! :D

to quote the IO who interviewed/approved me this week:

"you can leave the US on the next flight out, right after your oath ceremony this afternoon!
and only come back until you feel like it! just don't forget to mail back your absentee ballots
every November"
(the IO said it with a big smile :) ) but I think I'll need a passport first! :D

Well, you may not need a passport (rather US passport) to leave US. you need it when you want to come BACK to US ;-)

Hey hey hey..... You can loose your citizenship if you move from US within the 1st 12 months of your naturalization. After that, you are free like a bird.

Are you kidding? Feb2005. come on! :) Before you became a US citizen, did you lose your citizenship of your original country when you stay in USA or any other country forever?

Since you became a US citizen, you can stay outside USA as long as your want.

You could lose your US citizenship if you involve in a foreign military or take a political office under foregin country's rules (not all countries) or became a citizen of another country. (http://www.newcitizen.us/losing.html)

Hey hey hey..... You can loose your citizenship if you move from US within the 1st 12 months of your naturalization. After that, you are free like a bird.

That was outdated. It had been repealed by Congress long time ago.