how much money did it cost you to become a US citizen? (from start to finish)

Ned50

I was just looking back at all the documents and other stuff from
the very beginning... :)

At the very beginning, there was the fee paid for appying for the
immigrant visa(greencard), hospital fees(required medical exam),
notary fees(to get documents translated and notarized), photos,
and a bunch of other official required fees/charges.... (can't remember
how much in total, but must be well over USD$1000)

Fast forward 5 years... I filed for naturalization... so there's the
$400 N-400 application fee, cost for new photos, etc....

So I'm guessing almost $1500+.... Is it about the same for
everybody? :) (from applying for greencard to finally becoming
a citizen)

Last edited by a moderator:
$400 for the application + $12 for photos + $116 for Passport....becoming a U.S. Citizen, Priceless :D

I don't remember how much my parents paid for the GC processing, as this was years ago, but as far as the N-400 itself goes, I'd say I'm up to somewhere between $850-$900 by now. This includes the fees for obtaining various paperwork and various miscellaneous expenses.

Oh yeah, I also had to renew my GC once, which was $185 at the time.

A LOT !!!!!!!!

Well let's start off with GC ... I was pregnant during the process so they were only able to start of with partial medical exam. Then you have to say the US Embassy was about 3 hours away from where we lived and it was required to have the medical exam done by the recommended doctor that the US Embassy has chosen. So after my son was born I had to go back again and again and again because in order to get the immunizations I had to take a pregnancy test before. Well since I had just given birth it came back positive and they wouldn't give me the immunizations OR the x-ray. So with traveling 3 hours there and 3 hours back, the fees, the doctor fees, the gas money and just little things that go with it about 3 Grand probably.

I would say for Citizenship ... about 800. You have to say 400 for the fee and then the rest is gas money and other little things since it was a 4 hour roundtrip several times to either one place or another.

At the end though ... paying almost 4 Grand for the right to call myself an american I have to agree with xeno and ned ... PRICELESS

I have to agree that price is DEFINITELY not the objective, especially when you get to reap the greatest reward imaginable..NEVER HAVING TO DEAL WITH USCIS AGAIN!;)

I saw a late night infomercial infomercial offering US citizenship for $19.99 plus shipping and handling ..operators are standing by..:D

I saw a late night infomercial infomercial offering US citizenship for $19.99 plus shipping and handling ..operators are standing by..:D

LOL @ Bobdmyth. Do we get the option of rush delivery? Or is it the standard 300-500 days delivery/processing time frame?

I'm around the $3000 mark myself, but that includes everything: green card process, travel documents, pictures, I-130, and n-300 process.

Aside from it being priceless, if you factor the number of years I've been in this country it amounts to very little per annum. So the cost is far less than other things when looked at from this perspective.

okay here's the tab and I am probably forgetting some stuff but here is most of it:
passport pics twice: $ 20
n-400 fee incl biometrics : $ 675
gas money to drive up to fingerprinting office: $ 35
gas/hotel/food to go all the way to Atlanta for interview and oath: $ 200
new driver's license :$ 10
passport with expedited service: $ 190

total cost: $ 1130
finally being Citizen of the United States of America: PRICELESS :):):)

Sorry only the standard "delivery/processing time frame is available". ANd if you happen to get stuck in the name check, add about 1200 days to that (maybe more).
THe cost is not a bigdeal for me either, getting to be a US citizen is priceless. Having not deal with the USCIS again calls for extra celebration.

LOL @ Bobdmyth. Do we get the option of rush delivery? Or is it the standard 300-500 days delivery/processing time frame?

I'm around the $3000 mark myself, but that includes everything: green card process, travel documents, pictures, I-130, and n-300 process.

Aside from it being priceless, if you factor the number of years I've been in this country it amounts to very little per annum. So the cost is far less than other things when looked at from this perspective.

Well as of this moment I am not done yet, so I don t exactly know how much it will really cost,
but considering N400 costs $400 in fees.
Then lets just hope they won't change its name to N5000

In my case it was pricy verses priceless!!! $9,000 GC and Citizenship included. Now I have to see if anybody in this forum can beat that!

all this money and time spent will be worth it as soon as I get my citizenship ... that I know for sure.

only $100 for N-400? Did you get a special USCIS coupon or something?

OMG this just made me spit my coffee out because I had to laugh so hard.

A $100 I don't understand myself either

Guys/gals:

synn_r is an active member of the military. That should answer everyone's question. :)