Dual Citizenship with Pakistan

Asif2000

Registered Users (C)
I am a U.S Citizen now (as of 8/2/07) and I also hold my citizenhip with Pakistan. Is there anything at all I have to do to be recognized as a dual Citizen?

I have a Valid Pakistani Passport and I have already applied for a U.S Passport. I intend to make a trip aboard in the near future but I am NOT planning to get a PK visit visa on my U.S passport. I plan to use my U.S passport at departure from the U.S and my PK passport at arrival in Pakistan and vice versa when returning back.

Is there anything at all that I need to know or should I be worry free?

Does Pak allow dual citizenship? If not, you cannot do so. Please verify with official information. Once you get US Citizenship, you need to confirm if your home country allows dual citizenship.

Triple Citizen who holds US, Canadian and Pakistani citizenship and posts here often should be able to confirm this. It does seem that you can enter Pakistan using the Pakistani passport without needing any kind of visa.

-KM

Asif2000, if you want to avoid the confusion, you can just use your US passport and NICOP to enter Pakistan and not use your Pakistani passport at all. I have several dual citizen friends who do this regularly without any problems.

Departure from US: Check-in with your US passport. If airline asks how you intend to enter Pakistan, show them your NICOP which has the words [Holder] "is entitled visa free entry into Pakistan".
Arrival in Pakistan: Show your US passport and NICOP.
Departure from Pakistan: Show your US passport (and NICOP) if they ask for it.
Arrival in US: Show your US passport.

Some relevant excerpts from the NADRA website about NICOP:

"The NADRA Ordinance envisages issuance of NICOP to Pakistani workers, emigrants, citizens, or Pakistanis holding dual nationality..."

"A valid card issued to a non-resident citizen shall be the conclusive proof of his being a citizen of Pakistan..."

Nicop

* Does anybody know the processing time frame for NICOP or POC? Should I apply @ Nadra website or the Pakistan embassy?

-oo0---(_)-0oo---
. ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
N 400 Filed.....................Mid Sept 06
FP Completed.................Mid OCT 06
IL Received....................APR 27th 07
IL Scheduled..................JUN 7th 07
N 445 Received...............JUN 13th 07
Oath Ceremony..............JUL 10th 07 :cool: *** US Citizen *** :cool:
SSA Change Of Status.....JUL 10th 07 "Took 5 Mins"
Passport Applied.............JUL 10th 07 "2way Overnight + Expedited = $190"
ePassport Received.........JUL 19th 07 "9 Days! Very Impressing"
Certificate Of Naturalization Received...........JUL 21 Journey Over! :cool:

. ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Asif2000,
You have several options with regards to entering Pakistan. I have stated them in order of personal preference.

(1) Use your Pakistani passport
(2) Apply for a NICOP and use that with your US passport
(3) Get a Pakistani visa on your US passport

The difference between NICOP and POC is as follows:-

NICOP = Pakistanis who live outside Pakistan, including those with other citizenships
POC = Foreign citizens who once held Pakistani citizenship

Just a curiosity question. If Pakistan allows dual/multiple citizenship, where is the need for anyone to give up their Pakistani citizenship (I mean the people that POC is intended for) ? As far as I know the other countries that most people immigrate to (US, Canada, UK, Australia) allow dual citizenship as well but I realize that there may be a lot of other countries that don't.

-KM

Asif2000,
You have several options with regards to entering Pakistan. I have stated them in order of personal preference.

(1) Use your Pakistani passport
(2) Apply for a NICOP and use that with your US passport
(3) Get a Pakistani visa on your US passport

The difference between NICOP and POC is as follows:-

NICOP = Pakistanis who live outside Pakistan, including those with other citizenships
POC = Foreign citizens who once held Pakistani citizenship

^ Thanks Triple Citizen.

Is there any added benefit of getting a NICOP if you have a Pakistani Passport?

Also, have you (or do you know anyone who has) ever applied for NICOP on NADRA website online instead of going through the PK Embassy in the U.S?

Just a curiosity question. If Pakistan allows dual/multiple citizenship, where is the need for anyone to give up their Pakistani citizenship (I mean the people that POC is intended for) ? As far as I know the other countries that most people immigrate to (US, Canada, UK, Australia) allow dual citizenship as well but I realize that there may be a lot of other countries that don't.

-KM

POC is the best option for the kids born outside PK to the Paki Parents or so I have heard. Also, though there isn't a need to renounce the PK Citizenhip (since dual is allowed) some folks still do it. POC is an option for them too. An of course, the ex-paki folks who are now citizens of the countries that do not allow dual, POC is the only option for them.

Sweden, Austria, Norway, Singapore, to name a few where Pakistanis have naturalised and lost their Pakistani citizenship.

-KM

I got my NICOP made using the Pakistani consulate in Toronto. I also got my new machine readable Pakistani passport from there too. NICOP and passport were made in Islamabad and I collected them from the consulate.

Also, have you (or do you know anyone who has) ever applied for NICOP on NADRA website online instead of going through the PK Embassy in the U.S?

Nicop

Triple citizen... Please clarify: If you have NICOP why do you need a Pakistani Passport since you can enter Pakistan w/out Passport on NICOP or am I missing something here?

Triple citizen... Please clarify: If you have NICOP why do you need a Pakistani Passport since you can enter Pakistan w/out Passport on NICOP or am I missing something here?

NICOP is a replacement for your national identity card if you are residing abroad. But as an additional benefit, it serves the purpose of a passport for convenience. The answer to your question... you do not need a password if you have NICOP.

You don't really need a Pakistani passport to enter Pakistan if you have a NICOP.
However having a passport means you can use it to travel to other countries, but no one else will let you enter on your NICOP :)

You don't really need a Pakistani passport to enter Pakistan if you have a NICOP.
However having a passport means you can use it to travel to other countries, but no one else will let you enter on your NICOP :)

But why would you ever use your pakistani passport to visit other countries once you have a U.S Passport?

There are some countries where it is safer to use your Pakistani passport than your US one. Look just west of Pakistan :)

dont the people at pakistan airport ask for a US green card or US passport when you enter pakistan and if they do , dont they object on using two passports?

No one will ask your US status when you enter Pakistan. So use your Pakistani passport. When you leave Pakistan, the airline will ensure you have valid documents to enter the US. Show your US passport then.