Oath dates in New York

ff1972

Registered Users (C)
If you did your interview here in New York recently can you post your interview experience and your oath date if you received the oath letter. I noticed that most of people who are interviewed in Federal plaza do their oath in cadman plaza in Brooklyn. I found that you can find naturalization ceremonies dates for courts in other states on line but not of federal court in Brooklyn. I want to know the dates of oath ceremonies here. My Ph.D graduation ceremony is on May 24th and i will start a new job in Maryland on June 1st.

Test in Federal Plaza, oath in Cadman Plaza

I took the citizenship test a couple months ago in Federal Plaza. The tester asked me a couple questions, and wanted to see my marriage certificate even though my application was employment-based. I was asked 10 questions (including the Francis Scott Key one) and answered all 10 correctly but he only put "pass" marks for the first 8 and failed me on the last 2. I didn't dare speak up about this. I asked him how long it generally took to get the oath letter and he said the next week. So I decided to wait in person, but after I waited for about 45 minutes, they called me and a bunch of other people all at once, and told us that they were "full" and that we should go home to wait for our oath letters.

I received my oath letter on January 11th and it told me to show up at
US District Court Eastern District
225 Cadman Plaza
Brooklyn, NY 11201

at 8am on Friday, January 25th. I looked the address up on Mapquest and found out that there is no "Cadman Plaza", just "Cadman Plaza W" and "Cadman Plaza E." It turns out that this is a brand new courthouse at 225 Cadman Plaza E, on the northeast corner of Cadman Plaza E and Tech Pl, about 5 minutes walk from the Borough Hall subway station.

Here's what the courthouse looks like from the front:
http://www.bridgeandtunnelclub.com/bigmap/brooklyn/downtown/cadmanplaza/07uscourthouse.jpg

and this is what it looks like from the air:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...73.990002&spn=0.008346,0.019526&t=h&z=16&om=0

The ceremony lasts from 8am to 12:30pm (or later). Visitors are allowed (in fact, they don't count your total number of visitors; it is a public courthouse, so your visitors can pretend that they are just going to watch a trial, and no one can prevent them from entering at any time.) However, cameras and cell phones are not allowed inside the courthouse and must be checked at the entrance. They told me that they have citizenship ceremonies here four days a week, every week. The courtroom is small, holding about 250 people.

For the first 3.5 hours of the procedure visitors are supposed to wait upstairs in the 3rd floor cafeteria, where they can watch the podium on a small TV with the sound off. (However, the doors to the courtroom are kept open after the first hour or so, so they can come by and peek inside every so often.) During those 3.5 hours, they ask the people in each row to come up, row by row. A guy from the Department of Homeland Security looks at your oath appointment letter, asks you some questions, and then signs your oath letter. Then you line up a second time for a clerk from the Brooklyn courthouse, who looks through the piles of 250 pre-printed certificates of naturalization till she can find yours, then asks you to sign your certificate, then takes it back.

Note: They get REALLY upset if you sign your certificate of naturalization with your regular signature. Instead, they want you to sign it with your full name, including all of your middle name. However, they didn't say this till about 11:am so I had already signed my certificate with my regular signature. Oh well.

While we were waiting for all of us to get processed (at the rate of about 1 person per minute), a nice woman from the NYC Human Rights Commission came through with voter registration forms in 4 languages. She said we could mail the forms in or give them to her - if we gave them to her, she checked them over, which was really useful for some of the people sitting near me.

After everyone was done, it was about 12 noon. We waited in silence for about 10 minutes and then family and friends were allowed to enter the courtroom (though they couldn't get to sit next to us) the judge came down and read us the ceremony, which took 20 minutes. Then they called our names one by one to give us our certificates. This was challenging because they called our names without microphones, sometimes yelling at the same time in the already noisy courtroom, so even though I'm young and have average hearing, I had trouble hearing my own name. Luckily, they called us in the same order we'd lined up the first time, so when I saw the people ahead of me in line stand up, I did too.

The moment we had our certificate in hand, we could go downstairs.

There was no passport application booth. Instead, they handed out xeroxed leaflets of the list of approved passport application sites.

i missed my oath date. so i sent a letter explaining why i didn't show up. how long does it takes to reschedule another date. i don't live in nyc now, and i have a friend who is checking the mailbox for me. so im afraid he may not open the mailbox in the right time. any one knows if there is a way you could know if they send thew letter before it arrives in the mailbox so u can anticipate its arrival.please i need quick answer. look to my timing down and u understand my anxiety,

filing date 30 oct 2003
ID 8 feb 2005

New Oath date

i missed my oath date. so i sent a letter explaining why i didn't show up. how long does it takes to reschedule another date. i don't live in nyc now, and i have a friend who is checking the mailbox for me. so im afraid he may not open the mailbox in the right time. any one knows if there is a way you could know if they send thew letter before it arrives in the mailbox so u can anticipate its arrival.please i need quick answer. look to my timing down and u understand my anxiety,

filing date 30 oct 2003
ID 8 feb 2005

longwaiting1972,

I would make an infopass appointment right away and make it a # 1 priority to visit your local USCIS office (I'm sure NY office in your case) and try to reschedule another date with them ASAP. I am sure they should help you.

If for any reason they tell you that you will be notified by mail, in that case keep in touch with customer service at 1-800-375-5283 twice a week. They will tell you over the phone if your oath date has been assigned and if your oath letter has been mailed and is on the way. This way you can have your friend to check your mailbox immediately or keep an eye on it for the next few days.