Send GC Copy to Employer?

rasi_s

Registered Users (C)
I got my GC last week.:) My employer is asking for a copy ( scanned ) of my GC to update the records. Hope this is a normal procedure. Is it okay to send?

Thanks,
Rasi

Is it the employer's responsibility to collect this information, or the employee's responsibility to volunteer it?

I.e. Is it necessary for an employee to notify the employer in a change in immigration status that does not alter employment eligibility?

2hip4u said:
Is it the employer's responsibility to collect this information, or the employee's responsibility to volunteer it?

Both.

2hip4u said:
I.e. Is it necessary for an employee to notify the employer in a change in immigration status that does not alter employment eligibility?

It always does affect. For example, if you move from H visa to GC....that is a different game. H-1 can end at some point (and you might need extensions), while GC is more or less indefinite. Your employer should be aware of these issues.

Same goes with difference between citizenship and GC.....for example, with GC you can not perform certain contracting/government work, with citizenship you can...with GC you can not be permanently based oversees for let's say 5-6 yrs for your job purposes etc.etc.

Yes, it is not only necessary but also a good practice and common courtsey. You want to have open and honest relationship with your employer. Nothing to hide there.....really....actually, you can only gain...if for example employer recongizes that you can now do some other things for them and will cost them probably less on immigration fees/lawyers. This is obviously win-win situation for all.

But, as you can suspect, no one is going to "imprison" you if you fail to do that. :)

P.S.: I'm not a lawyer or immigration expert. I'm just an ordinary guy. You are soley responsible for your actions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks.

The I-9 is the Employment Eligibility Verification form. You're thinking of a W-4.

I dont recall if i fill I-9. If i didnt, do I need to?

I also have another question that doesnt seem many people knows the answer here. do we need to keep the GC salary after we receive the GC?? If i get less salary after i get my gc, will it be ok? will it effect my citizenship later? Thanks for your help.

What employer needs is a document that establishes your employment eligibility, in order to update your Form I-9. GC is one of them, but not the only one. See "List of Acceptable Documents" in http://www.ilw.com/forms/i-9.pdf

I believe:
1- I-9 form is for new employement. Means that if you start to a new job, you fill I -9 form. If you get your gc but not change the job, means that you dont refill I-9. but copy your gc to employer
2- I-9 form should be updated by employer. since you give your gc copy to your employer, it is their responsibility to update the form.

My opinion, just a guess.

VOYAGER_99 said:
I believe:
1- I-9 form is for new employement. Means that if you start to a new job, you fill I -9 form. If you get your gc but not change the job, means that you dont refill I-9. but copy your gc to employer

Form I-9 is not only used for a "new employment" but also for employment updates.

This is a legal requirment, plus it actually makes perfect sense. For example, you change your status from H-1 to GC. On your now old I-9 form you marked that you had visa (column 1) and signed the statement. Well, you do not have visa any more, and you need to correct that statement.

VOYAGER_99 said:
2- I-9 form should be updated by employer. since you give your gc copy to your employer, it is their responsibility to update the form.

Actually, it is responsiblity of both parties. An immigrant is obliged by the law to present honest and always updated information to his/her employer as a part of "good faith" effort. Similarly, employer needs to ensure that they keep good care of their I-9 forms and have sound employment verification process.

Again, this is very logical. How an employer would know that you changed your status, if you did not report it? They do not have a crystal ball :)

This is an obligation. However, as you may suspect, not every single employer or employee are 100% on top of this......

Regardless of legal implications, it DOES MAKE a lot of sense and it is common courtesy to keep your employer updated with the infomration. Do not see this as a big deal at all.

P.S.: I'm not a lawyer or immigration expert. I'm just an ordinary guy. You are soley responsible for your actions.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a legal requirment, plus it actually makes perfect sense. For example, you change your status from H-1 to GC. On your now old I-9 form you marked that you had visa (column 1) and signed the statement. Well, you do not have visa any more, and you need to correct that statement.

I-9 form is being filled my every employer every year to update the records. Since my employer has my green car. They r free to fill the form and update their employee database.

Actually, it is responsiblity of both parties. An immigrant is obliged by the law to present honest and always updated information to his/her employer as a part of "good faith" effort. Similarly, employer needs to ensure that they keep good care of their I-9 forms and have sound employment verification process.

Again, this is very logical. How an employer would know that you changed your status, if you did not report it? They do not have a crystal ball :)

They dont have crystal ball but they do have my green card copy.

This is an obligation. However, as you may suspect, not every single employer or employee are 100% on top of this......

Regardless of legal implications, it DOES MAKE a lot of sense and it is common courtesy to keep your employer updated with the infomration. Do not see this as a big deal at all.

I keep my employer updated giving my green card copy. I am not hiding from him what did I get

P.S.: I'm not a lawyer or immigration expert. I'm just an ordinary guy. You are soley responsible for your actions.[/QUOTE]

I am not a lawyer eighter. Just sick of this process which made me concern last 5 years

VOYAGER_99 said:
I am not a lawyer eighter. Just sick of this process which made me concern last 5 years

I hear you.....No need to be concerned. ;) I have to admit that it is much harder for one to get GC then to fill I-9 form and sumbit green card :)

This is such a minor point, that I would not worry too much about it.

In my eyes, this is more about friendly relationship with your employer and reaching out than being worried about "enforcement". This is win-win situation. Good busniess sense policy is that you want to make things easy for your employer and hope to recieve the same treatment from them.

Actually, in my case, upon reception of my citizenship, I was proud to update my records with my employer + actually it made a difference since I could work on some government contracts.

P.S.: I'm not a lawyer or immigration expert. I'm just an ordinary guy. You are soley responsible for your actions

The I-9 form states "Employers CANNOT specify which documents(s) they will accept from an employee". I am currently on H-1B (expires Sept 2007). If I choose to wait to show them my new Social Security card (which will NOT have the "Valid for work with INS Auth..." anymore) instead of the actual green card, don't they have to accept it as proof of my new employment eligibility? I absolutely do not want to show them my green card as proof if I don't have to.

The I-9 form states "Employers CANNOT specify which documents(s) they will accept from an employee". I am currently on H-1B (expires Sept 2007). If I choose to wait to show them my new Social Security card (which will NOT have the "Valid for work with INS Auth..." anymore) instead of the actual green card, don't they have to accept it as proof of my new employment eligibility? I absolutely do not want to show them my green card as proof if I don't have to.

You are correct. You decide what document or a combination thereof from the List to present to your employer. I did exactly that: showed a combination of the driver's license and the social security card without restrictions on it.

Guys guys guys, i am confused. what are we discussing here?

1- I got my green card. and copied for my employer and gave it to HR in the company. I didnt hand my green card copy to principle who signed my immigration papers. I did what it is needed to be done.

2- Do I have to be responsible because i didnt fill my I -9 ? I am not fooling anybody. I gave them a copy. Do what ever you wanna do. If you want to refresh your company record, refresh it etc etc.

Please let me know what is the big deal for this or somebody is gonna tell me when I apply to citizenship: "hmmm you didnt fill the I 9 form. even you copied you green card. That's shows you hid you status from employer you can not get citiznship !" or something?

I see that nightmare is never over.
I am sick sick sick of this. I cant even enjoy. I became a phyco .

You are correct. You decide what document or a combination thereof from the List to present to your employer. I did exactly that: showed a combination of the driver's license and the social security card without restrictions on it.

How about this case?
I am waiting for physical card. Do need to wait until getting card to update my profile in employer system or just give copy of approval notice?

Do I have to be responsible because i didnt fill my I -9 ? I am not fooling anybody. I gave them a copy. Do what ever you wanna do. If you want to refresh your company record, refresh it etc etc.

If memory serves me correctly, the employee needs to sign the original I-9, but not any updates.

Please let me know what is the big deal for this or somebody is gonna tell me when I apply to citizenship: "hmmm you didnt fill the I 9 form. even you copied you green card. That's shows you hid you status from employer you can not get citiznship !" or something? I see that nightmare is never over. I am sick sick sick of this. I cant even enjoy. I became a phyco .

You worry too much. You're fine.