Pending H1b extension approval and visitor's visa for parents?

GCJelling

Registered Users (C)
My H1B visa is from Aug 2004 to Aug 2006 and currently my company has applied for 1st extension.
I have my receipt date as of June 23, 2006. I have been told that processing
H1B extension is very slow. I am planning to call my parents on visitor's visa in Sep 2006 and they have a visa appointment date in end of August 2006.
One of the required documents is my status document. Right now I don't have my H1B extension approval
BUT only the receipt. Can I send that document with my original H1B and ask my parents to go to consulate
for visas? Will my H1B extension receipt be a valid/convincing document for my parents to show to consulate officer?

H1B extension under process, intending to sponsor in-laws

GCJelling,

I am in the exact same situation where my in-laws have an interview appointment in Oct and my H1B expires in Sep this year. I have received mixed responses as to whether sponsor's H-1B extension receipt is sufficient proof or not.

I am wondering about premium processing and would be very interested in knowing how your parents interview goes and whether the consulate officer is happy with the receipt notice.

Thanks,
Naresh

Hi,

I'm in exact same situation. My parents are going for their visa appointment on October 16th. Please share your parents experience. Or, I might have to get my 7th year extension in premium processing.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
thanks

As i mentioned earlier that we got visa for both set of parents with the extension recippe, I wouldnot spend extra money on premium processing.

Filing for extensions is natural process of living here especially based on Labor or GC.

If there is still time for the interview then wait for the extension to come and fax the approval, else use the receipt.

I will keep this thread updated as the interview happens. I have also recieved mixed advices and have decided to have my parents go ahead and attend the interview anyways. If the visa is rejected specifically for this reason, atleast I know better next time ! :rolleyes:

Its a good idea to keep this thread alive. I'm also doing the same. Gonna send them the reciept and take it from there.

Please post more experiences for this type of situation. It would be very useful, we can make sure our parents don't go through the interview crap and come back denied based on this stupid reason. I would rather pay extra 1K and not have them go through the trouble.

Parents Got Visa !

Hi All,
happy to share with you that my parents got visa. We don't know yet, the visa duration. Once the passport reaches home, we will know for sure.
Officer did not request to look at any papers.

Will post the details of the interview a littler later.

Congratulations, As I said extension notice should not be a problem, these are normal processes of living in USA LEGALLY.

But unfortunately the visa process is so fraught with uncertainities and unpredictibilaties that it leaves us on edge. The fault lies with the consulates who seem to be so random and heartless about the visa process.

How disturbing it is to know that people loose sleep over the fact that they misspelled their Dad's name or put in incorrect Mom's Birthday.

And now you have to take appointemnt 4-6 months in advance making the torture extend for days.

Hopefully for most people it all ends well, with our folks able to visit us. Just the pleasure of meeting them at the airport and showing them our life here makes up for the hardship. (Ok there is still a sliver of bitterness) but hey they are here now.

Good Luck

Congratulation GCGellin on your parents getting Visa. Could you please share which US Consulate they were visiting.

Thanks

They went to the US consulate at Chennai.

The interview went like this:
(They were delayed for about 2 hours, before the actual interview):

CO: Good Morning
Parents: Good Morning

Parents: We would like to travel to the US to visit our child

CO: How many children do you have
Parents: x

CO: All in the US?
Parents: No. 2 are staying with us.

CO: Sir, are you working or retired?
Father: retired

CO: Where were you working?
Father: xx company

CO: what was the designation
Father: xxxx

CO: do you receive pension
Father: yes/no

CO: Where were you working prior to this company?
Father: xxxx company

CO: what was the designation

CO: Was it a state or government owned compnay
Father: yes/no

CO: What are your qualifications?

CO: Please go to first counter and pay the DD.

Hi GCJelling,

Good to hear that your parents got visas. Basically your father attended the interview which was more like for the H1B visa :)

Unhelpful response from VFS

Thanks for posting the interview details, GCJelling. I tried to get the "official" word from VFS, but their customer service folks had rehearsed answers:
---
Dear Sir/Madam,
Thank you for your mail

The applicants are required to carry the supporting documents as per
the "Guidance-sheet".
Kindly log on the website www.vfs-usa.co.in for the list of the
supporting documents to be carried for the interview.

Regards
VFS Team
---

My Parents Got Visa

Today,

Parents got the visa. They didn't even look at the papers. I had sent them the H1B extension reciept.

Anyway, they got the 10 years multiple entry visa. They went to Mumbai consulate and it was their second application. First they got 6 months visa in 04.

Hi Everybody,

I am in a similar situation. My case is approved but dont have the approval notice (but have an email sent by USCIS with approval details) and also I have the receipt.

Based on the mail sequence, looks like my parents might get the Visa. Still having my fingers crossed though.

Thanx
Bharat

visa rejected even with h1-b extension notice

Guys,

Unfortunately my parents B2 visa got rejected because of not having approval of my H1-B extension. My parents presented the extension receipt as well as my company letter, but the visa officer sweetly denied the visa based on the fact that I do not have approval notice yet.

-RedSoxGuy

Thats right, the letter says that it was denied under section 214(b), for not presenting enough ties to the home country or evidence that they will come back after the trip. I was confused by the difference between oral and written communication as not having a visa does not seem to be related to "not having enough ties".
Anyways, What I am not sure now is if I need I-797 or they need a stamped H1-B visa on passport. any help will be greatly appreciated.