Announcement Module
No announcement yet.

Permanent Resident need to travel

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
Conversation Detail Module
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Permanent Resident need to travel

    i HAD a foreign passport prior to being a permanent resident. my foreign passport HAD an I-94, which INS took from me when i went to my interview for permanent residency (i-485 application process.) however although i no longer have an I-94 attached to my passport i still have my foreign passport and i now have a permanent resident ID card. if i want to travel to another country, do i use my passport as well as my permanent resident card or do i need t obtain a US passport? how do i get a travel visa to visit another country?

    i know its weird question but since coming here when i was a child ive never traveled outside the US and have no idea how to go about visiting another country now that i am able to.

    thank you.
    a-2 visa out of status
    my progress is as follows:

    i-130 mailed -may 1, 2010 [day 1]
    i-130 received -may 3, 2010 [day 3]
    i-130 notice date -may 7, 2010 [day 7]
    i-130 notice of action received by me may 13, 2010 [day 13]
    i-130 approved (online update, letter sent out 10/24 [day 208]
    i-485 mailed february 2011
    RFE may 2011
    i-485/AOS interview november 1, 2011
    december, february, march infopass appointments
    i-485 approved, card in my hand april 6, 2012!!!!!!!!!!!

  • #2
    If you are not a US citizen, and only a permanent resident, you have no right to a US passport. Your green card is your "visa" to leave and enter the US, and your passport is your travel document that allows you to travel to all or almost all countries, depending on your country of citizenship (for example, Israelis are barred from entering many Muslim countries). This also is an indication of whether or not you require a visa to enter certain countries. Your green card also gives you visa-free access to some countries even if your citizenship does not (like Canada, many countries and territories in the Carribean, Mexico, etc.).

    Look into all these things. You can check the websites of embassies of countries you'd like to visit, or check the website of their Foreign Ministry. If you provide your country of citizenship, we can help you with specifics. Your criminal record (if any) also comes into play here, as some people are barred, or will be hassled, when trying to enter some countries (like Canada).

    Congratulations on getting back into status, by the way. I'm sure it's a good feeling.
    Last edited by cafeconleche; 21st April 2012, 08:14 AM.
    *** El Cafe ***

    N400 - NYC (Brooklyn)
    March 12 2010: Sent
    April 7 2010: FP done- walk-in
    August 3 2010: ID decision not made
    December 12 2010: Lawsuit filed under 8 USC 1447(b)
    March 31 2011: 31 Oath date
    April 1 2011: Passport applied, picked up!