Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help: Derivative Asylee (principal revoked)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help: Derivative Asylee (principal revoked)

Hello, recently I just got into some pretty serious mess about my status in USA. Me and my mother was granted political asylum status in 2000, she is the principal and I am the derivative. We applied i485 and it's been on hold for 4-5 years now.

The bad news is that my mom went back to her home country (she wasn't suppose to) and I just received a notice from the Los Angeles Asylum office to terminate her asylum status. And if hers is terminated, so does mine. Furthermore, our i485s would go down the drain.

I could really care less about her status, but I have been living in the United States since I was 13 (we came here in 1997), and now I am 25. My whole life is in the United States, and it would be terrible for me to be deported.

They are putting me into removal proceedings. What are my options so I can stay in the US? I don't have someone I want to marry so that's out of the question.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

You need to consult a lawyer ASAP. There is no point in gaining advice from an online forum.
    Lazer "thegreat"
    Resident Since: 06/19/05

D/O: Chicago, IL
    03/20/10 : N-400 Mailed to Phoenix, AZ
    03/22/10 : USPS Express with Return Receipt
    04/08/10: NOA Received
    04/23/10: FP Letter Received
    05/12/10: FP DONE (Walk-in)
    05/17/10: FP Date
    06/01/10: IL Received
    07/12/10: ID
    07/14/10: Oath
    07/14/10: Applied for Passport
    07/15/10: Passport in Hand

Comment

Originally posted by Lazerthegreat View Post
      You need to consult a lawyer ASAP. There is no point in gaining advice from an online forum.
      Yes you do need competent legal representation. Let me just say that in general people in your situation have very limited options. You can submit an asylum application in your own name if you can articulate an independent basis of fearing persecution in your country of nationality. Is that China?

Or you can ask your mom to fight the revocation of asylum in court.
      US Citizen Since December 2007-
      Nothing I say on this board is intended to provide legal advice. Any and all comments made by me are general in nature. Nothing I say on this board may be construed to suggest the existence of an attorney-client relationship. I do not in any way seek to solicit clients here.
      Everyone is strongly urged to retain legal counsel. Reliance on comments posted herein is at your own risk.

Comment

I'm really sorry about your case,
        but did she go back to her COP with a RP or her country passport?

Comment

that's a sad news.

they revoked just because the asylee traveled back to COP? What are the other grounds for asylum revocation.
          Asylum : 2007
          GC filed: 2008:
          on hold (inadmissibility bar): Jun 2009

case(i-485) sent to Asylum office: Jul 209
          July 2010 = i-485 sent back to USCIS
          oct 2010 = GC Approved!

Comment

Originally posted by ghwang View Post
            I have been living in the United States since I was 13 (we came here in 1997), and now I am 25. My whole life is in the United States, and it would be terrible for me to be deported.
            I really feel your pain because I myself have been living here for 12 years and I know what your are going through.
            Psalm 55:22 Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall

LPR since Dec 2010
            I am not a lawyer nor do I claim to be one. Reliance on comments posted herein is at your own risk

Comment

ghwang,

I went through something very similar. My mom adjusted status through NACARA and terminated her asylum status, thus terminating mine (and my sisters'). At the time I had been in the US for 11 years. Like you I came to the US in my early teens (15) and couldn't see myself trying to begin a life in a country I no longer knew.

SEEK LEGAL ADVICE ASAP.

In my case I went to every lawyer I could find and everyone kept telling me I didn't have any options, so thankful is correct in saying options are very limited. I'm not sure what city in the US you are, but if you are in Southern CA, I will be more than happy to share my lawyer's contact information. This man sought out every possible protection clause we could use to keep me here, all valid and available (i.e. Temporary Protected Status, et al), while we put my asylum case together.

I worked hard to help my case, but that's because I wanted to move things along as quickly as possible. I found my own expert witness, country research, etc. after two years of processing, with one threat to deny my case I was granted Asylum.
              Last edited by scully51; 16th July 2009, 01:18 PM.
              Added to Mom's Asylum Application: 1990
              Mom gets PR status via NACARA:5/2005
              Mom's Asylum App withdrawn: 5/2005
              Applied for Asylum self: 6/2005
              Asylum Interview: 12/2006
              Asylum Granted: October 31, 2007
              I-485, APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS
              Notification Date(ND): January 30, 2009
              Bio Code 3: February 19, 2009
              September 10, 2009 "Card production ordered."
              September 14, 2009: Welcome letter received.
              September 17, 2009: Permanent Resident Card received.

Comment

scully, ur's took long, i had simple arrest records so got transfered to lee summit from nebraska, took about 8 months, after that called for interview, a month later, mailed a GC, I sent the GC back for backdated GC and i got new GC.

Comment

jonny1,

I know my case took long, however, I'm just glad it's over and now looking forward to getting the ever so evasive GC.
                  Added to Mom's Asylum Application: 1990
                  Mom gets PR status via NACARA:5/2005
                  Mom's Asylum App withdrawn: 5/2005
                  Applied for Asylum self: 6/2005
                  Asylum Interview: 12/2006
                  Asylum Granted: October 31, 2007
                  I-485, APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS
                  Notification Date(ND): January 30, 2009
                  Bio Code 3: February 19, 2009
                  September 10, 2009 "Card production ordered."
                  September 14, 2009: Welcome letter received.
                  September 17, 2009: Permanent Resident Card received.

Comment

Working...
                  X