Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Card may have sent to old address, what happens?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Card may have sent to old address, what happens?

I recently changed my addressed, and called USCIS to inform them of my new address. But, I got the welcome letter at my old address after I calling USCIS. I got an email yesterday saying that my case was approved and an approval notice was sent. I called USCIS to ask to which address they sent my green card but they weren't able to tell me that! Now, if they mailed the green card to my old address, what's goign to happen, will the post office send the card back to USCIS or forward it to my new address?

Please share youre views/expereiences.

Thanks,

Gino

Originally posted by gino
    I recently changed my addressed, and called USCIS to inform them of my new address. But, I got the welcome letter at my old address after I calling USCIS. I got an email yesterday saying that my case was approved and an approval notice was sent. I called USCIS to ask to which address they sent my green card but they weren't able to tell me that! Now, if they mailed the green card to my old address, what's goign to happen, will the post office send the card back to USCIS or forward it to my new address?

Please share youre views/expereiences.

Thanks,

Gino
    You can submit a change of address form to USPS through their website for .50 cents(using a credit card) or through person at your local post office. Your change of address is stored in a system called PARS(Postal Automated Redirect System) which redirects & prints a label for any change of addresses. So if USCIS sends your GC to your old address, PARS will sort out and print a label for your new home address and put it on the letter and you will get it within 1-2 days.

Its very simple and works perfectly.

Resident Since Date: 12/12/04
    DO: Washington D.C,
    10/12/09 (Day 1): Mailed
    10/13/09 (Day 2): Priority Date
    10/24/09 (Day 12): Date of Fingerprint Letter
    10/28/09 (Day 16): Fingerprinted Walk-in
    11/05/09 (Day 24): FP Date(Original Date)
    11/13/09 (Day 32): FP Redone(lost by USCIS)
    11/18/09 (Day 38): Case transfered
    11/23/09 (Day 43): Received IL
    12/29/09 (Day 78): Interview Date
    12/29/09 (Day 78): Oath
    12/30/09 (Day 79): Applied for Passport @ DC, got it at 11:30am

Comment

Originally posted by wantmygcnow
      You can submit a change of address form to USPS through their website for .50 cents(using a credit card) or through person at your local post office. Your change of address is stored in a system called PARS(Postal Automated Redirect System) which redirects & prints a label for any change of addresses. So if USCIS sends your GC to your old address, PARS will sort out and print a label for your new home address and put it on the letter and you will get it within 1-2 days.

Its very simple and works perfectly.
      Thanks! I already did that. I was just not sure if the post office will forward government mail to my new address because the USPS website says that certain government mail will not be forwarded.

Gino

Comment

I called them, they changed my address right after that.
        Asylum approved: June 2003
        ND: Feb 21st 2006 ( DO NOT ASK )
        FP Code 3( Notice Date): March 23 2006
        FP Code 3( Appointment): April 6th 2006
        LUD: 04/08/2006
        01/12/2007 Case Transferred to local office ( Got E-mail)
        LUD: 01/12/2007 LUD:01/13/2007
        01/23/2007 : Got the Transfer Notice in the mail

Comment

Originally posted by gino
          Thanks! I already did that. I was just not sure if the post office will forward government mail to my new address because the USPS website says that certain government mail will not be forwarded.

Gino
          If USCIS wants a receipt of delivery, usually when the postman delivers it, he scans it that it has been delivered.

Some U.S govt mail such as registered letters to appear before a judge or IRS audit for example are handled differently. A postcard is sent to your changed address that you have a registered mail to be picked up since you have to sign for it.

USCIS doesn't send require signature confirmation for most of its mails so you are ok.

Resident Since Date: 12/12/04
          DO: Washington D.C,
          10/12/09 (Day 1): Mailed
          10/13/09 (Day 2): Priority Date
          10/24/09 (Day 12): Date of Fingerprint Letter
          10/28/09 (Day 16): Fingerprinted Walk-in
          11/05/09 (Day 24): FP Date(Original Date)
          11/13/09 (Day 32): FP Redone(lost by USCIS)
          11/18/09 (Day 38): Case transfered
          11/23/09 (Day 43): Received IL
          12/29/09 (Day 78): Interview Date
          12/29/09 (Day 78): Oath
          12/30/09 (Day 79): Applied for Passport @ DC, got it at 11:30am

Comment

Originally posted by wantmygcnow
            If USCIS wants a receipt of delivery, usually when the postman delivers it, he scans it that it has been delivered.

Some U.S govt mail such as registered letters to appear before a judge or IRS audit for example are handled differently. A postcard is sent to your changed address that you have a registered mail to be picked up since you have to sign for it.

USCIS doesn't send require signature confirmation for most of its mails so you are ok.
            Thanks! This makes me feel better!

Gino

Comment

Working...
            X