Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dress code for citizenship ceremony?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dress code for citizenship ceremony?

    Is there a dress code for the citizenship ceremony?

    Can I just wear a nice shirt and nicer jeans or is slacks recommended still?

  • #2
    They specifically ask you not to wear shorts, flip-flops, etc but I doubt if they will turn anyone away if someone did. I actually believe it would be covered under first amendment :-)

    So theoretically you are OK with nice jeans. Personally, I am going to wear dress-pants.
    Last edited by floyd; 13th April 2010, 09:50 PM.
    GC Approval: 2/2/06 (as an asylee my residency technically started 1 year before that)
    N-400 received: 1/11/2010
    Interview: 4/5/2010
    Oath: 4/16/2010

    Comment


    • #3
      The specifically ask you not to wear shorts, flip-flops, etc but I doubt if they will turn anyone away if someone did. I actually believe it would be covered under first amendment :-)

      So theoretically you are OK with nice jeans. Personally, I am going to wear dress-pants.
      GC Approval: 2/2/06 (as an asylee my residency technically started 1 year before that)
      N-400 received: 1/11/2010
      Interview: 4/5/2010
      Oath: 4/16/2010

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by darkwds View Post
        Is there a dress code for the citizenship ceremony?

        Can I just wear a nice shirt and nicer jeans or is slacks recommended still?
        If I were you, I would most probably wear a suit.

        If you have time, then search in this forum, there is a very interesting thread about dress code.....I remember reading it a while ago.

        Comment


        • #5
          Business casual or smart casual is fine. You'll fell overdressed in a suit.
          Sent N-400 7/28/07
          PD 7/27/07
          Check cashed 12/5/07
          NOA 12/7/07
          FP notice 1/4/08 (received 1/10/08 )
          FP Date 1/30/08 (walk in done on 1/26/08 Charlotte)
          IL: 6/10/08
          ID: 8/28/08 (Durham DO) Passed!
          OL: 9/23/08
          OD: 10/06/08
          PP: 10/21/08 (applied)
          PP: 11/1/08 (received)
          ------------------------------------------

          ------------------------------------
          IMPORTANT NOTE: I am a Volunteer Moderator - one of you. I am not a lawyer. So act accordingly.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by floyd View Post
            The specifically ask you not to wear shorts, flip-flops, etc but I doubt if they will turn anyone away if someone did. I actually believe it would be covered under first amendment :-)
            I think Bob has provided a good answer. I am curious - would you assert your 1st amendment rights? If they do not like your doing it, it could put you in litigation for quite some time...
            GC: EB1: 1999 ==> 2004. 3 yr delay due to lost file. N400: San Jose. Apr'09 ==> Aug'09.
            I am not a lawyer, forum police, moderator, moralizer or an immigration officer. If I sound like one, use "your" best judgement.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by sanjoseaug20 View Post
              I think Bob has provided a good answer. I am curious - would you assert your 1st amendment rights? If they do not like your doing it, it could put you in litigation for quite some time...
              No, (on the principle that it does not pay to argue with the cops) I would not. Read my interview experience in another thread. I was asked if I was a socialist. Multiple thoughts came to mind but I bit my tongue and just answered "no"
              GC Approval: 2/2/06 (as an asylee my residency technically started 1 year before that)
              N-400 received: 1/11/2010
              Interview: 4/5/2010
              Oath: 4/16/2010

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by IPL-fan View Post
                If I were you, I would most probably wear a suit.

                If you have time, then search in this forum, there is a very interesting thread about dress code.....I remember reading it a while ago.
                I totally agree and it is most appropriae to wear a suit. YOu may not wear a tie, but at least a jacket looks impressive. Of course I hjave seen people wearing normal formal shirts and trousers too. But i personally feel a suit helps and make you look professional.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I originally planned wearing a suit to my oath. However, it was about 90 degrees that day, not to mention extremely humid. I opted for a dress shirt and dress pants. My oath was held in a court, so I dressed up out of respect for the circumstance. However, there were a few people wearing paint-stained shorts and flip-flops. There was even a girl in a ballet tutu.
                  USC as of 09/09/08

                  I am not an lawyer. My advice is based purely on personal experience. For legal advice, please consult an immigration attorney.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by bluewonder View Post
                    I totally agree and it is most appropriae to wear a suit. YOu may not wear a tie, but at least a jacket looks impressive. Of course I hjave seen people wearing normal formal shirts and trousers too. But i personally feel a suit helps and make you look professional.
                    An anecdote - I was naturalized with several members of the military. All of them wore fatigues, none of them wore their dress uniform.
                    ------------------------------------
                    IMPORTANT NOTE: I am a Volunteer Moderator - one of you. I am not a lawyer. So act accordingly.

                    PD: 9/12/2000 (EB3/VA/RIR/Canada)
                    I-140 RD: 12/22/2000
                    I-140 AD: 7/16/2001
                    RD: 8/28/2001
                    ND: 10/26/2001
                    FP1: 1/31/2002
                    RFE: 8/2/2002
                    RFE RD: 8/28/2002
                    TD: 10/22/2002
                    FP2: 6/19/2004
                    ID: 07/15/2004
                    AD: 07/15/2004
                    CO: 08/18/2004
                    CR: 08/23/2004
                    N-400 RD: 05/21/2009
                    FP: 06/13/2009
                    CFR: 08/05/2009
                    IL: 08/21/09
                    ID: 10/7/09
                    USC: 10/8/09

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I wore dockers, a dress shirt and an evening jacket. I was the most formally dressed in the room! But I would probably do the same again. Remember its always less embarassing to be over-dressed than being under-dressed.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X