Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats a YL , Yellow Letter ?

Hi Everyone,

I was looking at the time lines for naturalization and I see "YL", "Yellow Letter". what is this actually ? when do you get it ?

thanks
    -----------------------
    New York City
    -----------------------

-------------------------------------------
    with best of intentions - Sree

I think, it is a standard template letter one receives stating the list of documents to be brought in for the interview.
    Seems like people who mention citations/arrests/etc on their N400 tend to get it.

I had mentioned my traffic citation, but never received any YL. From what I understand, receiving or not receiving it should not be a cause for concern.
    N400:
    10/22/09 : Mailed
    10/27/09: Priority Date
    10/30/09: Checks cashed
    11/09/09: RFE
    11/19/09: FP notice
    12/07/09: FP scheduled
    11/20/09: Walk-in FP done
    01/04/10: ID
    01/11/10: OL for spouse
    01/28/10: OD for spouse
    01/26/10: OL self.
    02/19/10: OD for self
    02/22/10: PP appl
    03/03/10: PP rcvd
    -------------------------------
    OCI:
    03/09/10: Sent
    03/10/10: Received
    03/19/10: Acknowledged
    03/23/10: Granted/Scanned/Printed
    04/02/10: Received @SF
    04/12/10: OCI Received

Comment

It's a letter in 'yellow' color. Usually get it after fingerprinting done.

I didn't mention any citation and still got it.

DO: DC, Fairfax
      5 yr PR

12/29/09 :Mail N 400
      12/31/09: PD Date
      01/12/10: LUD ( RFE)
      01/14/10: FP Notice Received
      01/15/10: Walked in FP @ Alexandria
      01/29/10: Original FP
      02/15/10: YL Received
      02/26/10: LUD : Case sent for a standard interview
      03/01/10: IL
      04/01/10: ID Name Change Requested
      06/19/10 : Oath Letter Received
      07/15/10 : Oath Ceremony

Comment

Originally posted by complex_dude View Post
        I think, it is a standard template letter one receives stating the list of documents to be brought in for the interview.
        Seems like people who mention citations/arrests/etc on their N400 tend to get it.

I had mentioned my traffic citation, but never received any YL. From what I understand, receiving or not receiving it should not be a cause for concern.
        Does the Interview letter tell state the documents that are needed to be furnished at the interview? or is it the yellow letter? how did you know what all documents to take for the interview ? is it like unless you are asked for specific documents you are not required to carry any ? or its like a common practice that everyone knows about that you are required to take the marriage certificate, 5/3 years tax returns, re entry permits, drivers license, disposition papers, proof of tax payments, utility bills, lease, bank statements ... and such what you think would help your N400 procedure?
        -----------------------
        New York City
        -----------------------

Comment

Originally posted by cowfacepose View Post
          It's a letter in 'yellow' color. Usually get it after fingerprinting done.

I didn't mention any citation and still got it.

Is the DL the only document you will be taking for the interview ? as its the only one on ur YL.
          or is there another list coming your way with the interview appointment date notice?
          -----------------------
          New York City
          -----------------------

Comment

Originally posted by sreeleshk View Post
            Is the DL the only document you will be taking for the interview ? as its the only one on ur YL.
            or is there another list coming your way with the interview appointment date notice?
            Yes. that's the only document mentioned in the yellow letter. But I am still going to bring my passport for sure.

DO: DC, Fairfax
            5 yr PR

12/29/09 :Mail N 400
            12/31/09: PD Date
            01/12/10: LUD ( RFE)
            01/14/10: FP Notice Received
            01/15/10: Walked in FP @ Alexandria
            01/29/10: Original FP
            02/15/10: YL Received
            02/26/10: LUD : Case sent for a standard interview
            03/01/10: IL
            04/01/10: ID Name Change Requested
            06/19/10 : Oath Letter Received
            07/15/10 : Oath Ceremony

Comment

Originally posted by cowfacepose View Post
              Yes. that's the only document mentioned in the yellow letter. But I am still going to bring my passport for sure.
              passport + DL, i thought the tax transcripts were important.
              -----------------------
              New York City
              -----------------------

Comment

Most applicants, if not all, will get an N-659 (aka white letter) with the interview letter which is the general checklist. The yellow letter is usually sent out earlier so that the applicant can prepare the documents listed that might require some time to procure (citation records, selective service, IRS, civil records, etc). Not all applicants will get the YL. Sometimes a YL is sent for drivers' licenses so that the adjudicating IO can verify compliance with the residence requirements. The YL and the N-659 (and the interview letter, at least in my case) will list the documents that you may need to bring to the interview. So, you need to look at all three.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny808 View Post
                  Most applicants, if not all, will get an N-659 (aka white letter) with the interview letter which is the general checklist. The yellow letter is usually sent out earlier so that the applicant can prepare the documents listed that might require some time to procure (citation records, selective service, IRS, civil records, etc). Not all applicants will get the YL. Sometimes a YL is sent for drivers' licenses so that the adjudicating IO can verify compliance with the residence requirements. The YL and the N-659 (and the interview letter, at least in my case) will list the documents that you may need to bring to the interview. So, you need to look at all three.
                  so the 3 are ,

1)Yellow Letter
                  2)White Letter
                  3)Interview Letter

Correct?
                  -----------------------
                  New York City
                  -----------------------

Comment

so the 3 are ,

1)Yellow Letter
                    2)White Letter
                    3)Interview Letter

Correct?
                    Yes you are correct Sree.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny808 View Post
                      Yes you are correct Sree.
                      thanks
                      -----------------------
                      New York City
                      -----------------------

Comment

Does the Interview letter tell state the documents that are needed to be furnished at the interview? or is it the yellow letter? how did you know what all documents to take for the interview ? is it like unless you are asked for specific documents you are not required to carry any ? or its like a common practice that everyone knows about that you are required to take the marriage certificate, 5/3 years tax returns, re entry permits, drivers license, disposition papers, proof of tax payments, utility bills, lease, bank statements ... and such what you think would help your N400 procedure?
                        I did not mention any citation but I still got the yellow letter, of course white letter w/ interview notice as well. On my yellow letter it says I need to bring DL+ passports, while on the white letter my GC is also required.
                        You will find the sticky thread “Documents needed for Naturalization” very very helpful for your application, make sure to read it through. I was asked for my marriage certificate during the interview although my N-400 application is NOT based on the 3-year marriage rule. I am glad that I prepared all the documentations mentioned in that post so my interview went through smoothly.
                        DO: San Antonio, TX
                        09/16/10: USC today!
                        09/24/10: I-130/131/485/693/765/864 for my husband mailed to Chicago Lockbox (FedEx Overnight)
                        09/27/10: Package received by USCIS
                        10/04/10: Applications accepted (received emails with MSC numbers) & check cashed
                        10/07/10: 4 NOA received in mail
                        10/12/10: Biometrics letter received for 11/02
                        10/14/10: Biometrics done (walk-in)
                        12/01/10: EAD card production email
                        12/02/10: I-131 approved email

Comment

I received the "yellow letter" today as well ( Just a letter, No Interview Date or Time). It just told me to bring the my Drivers License, or State ID card.Did i feel concern? Yes. I called up USCIS #; I spoke with one rep. she told me there should've been a time and date for your interview, then she said "Okay I'll transfer you to another (higher)level of that dept."...... so i spoke with another person she told me its nothing to be concern about. She said its just a process that I'm on"Queue" waiting for a Interview and a Date. At least they said my FP check, name check cleared already.

Heres my Timeline:
                          1/24/10- Expressed shipped my Mail (Company's Mail Account)
                          1/25/10- Received my N-400 Application in Texas
                          2/17/10- FP date
                          2/20/10- FP done (delayed for a week due to snow storm in NYC)
                          .......waiting for the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by wli1110 View Post
                            I received the "yellow letter" today as well ( Just a letter, No Interview Date or Time). It just told me to bring the my Drivers License, or State ID card.Did i feel concern? Yes. I called up USCIS #; I spoke with one rep. she told me there should've been a time and date for your interview, then she said "Okay I'll transfer you to another (higher)level of that dept."...... so i spoke with another person she told me its nothing to be concern about. She said its just a process that I'm on"Queue" waiting for a Interview and a Date. At least they said my FP check, name check cleared already.
                            Sit tight. You'll get your Interview letter next.
                            San Francisco DO
                            N-400 sent to Phoenix

11-09-2009: Priority Date (N400 Recv'd @PHX)
                            01-14-2010: Interview Date
                            03-10-2010: Oath/ Applied for Passport@Oath Ceremony
                            04-01-2020: Passport

Comment

so the 3 are ,

1)Yellow Letter
                              2)White Letter
                              3)Interview Letter

Correct?

Refer the following post from JohnnyCash:

http://forums.immigration.com/showth...27#post1977827

It has a complete list of documents needed at the time of interview.

Comment

Working...
                              X