Announcement Module
No announcement yet.

Documents to be submitted with N400

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
Conversation Detail Module
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Documents to be submitted with N400

    What documents do I need to submit with my N-400? Do I need to submit my tax returns, copy of green card, copy of drivers license etc. I understand I need to submit 2 recent passport size photograph and 2 checks (one for $330 and another for $70). Please list all the documents I need to submit with my N400. Thanks in advance.

  • #2
    You can have a look at M-477 (pages 48 and following of the "Guide to Naturalization" M-476 available on the USCIS website).

    M-477 is a document checklist.

    Having applied based on 5 year residence, having been married only once and having no children, I had established the following subset for the sake of my N-400 application - only 1. 2. and 3. being relevant for my case):
    All applicants must send the following 3 things with their N-400 application:

    1.A photocopy of both sides of your Permanent Resident Card (formerly known as the Alien Registration Receipt Card or “Green
    Card ”)

    2. Two (2)identical color photographs,with your name and “A ”number written lightly in pencil on the back of each.For details
    about the photo requirements,see part 5 of A Guide to Naturalization and the Form M-378 instructions distributed with your
    application.Do not wear eyeglasses or earrings for the photo.Note that if your religion requires you to wear a head covering,
    your facial features and your right ear must still be exposed in the photo for purposes of identification;AND

    3. A check or money order for the application fee and the fingerprinting fee,as stated in the M-479 Current Naturalization Fees
    enclosure in the Guide.(Applicants 75 years of age or older are exempted from fingerprinting and the fingerprinting fee).Write
    your “A ”number on the back of the check or money order.
    Send COPIES of the following documents,unless we ask for an original.

    If you are applying for naturalization on the basis of marriage to a U.S.citizen,send the following 4 things:
    4. Evidence that your spouse has been a U.S. citizen for the last three years:
    • Birth certificate (if your spouse never lost citizenship since birth), or
    • Naturalization certificate, or
    • Certificate of Citizenship, or
    • The inside of the front cover and signature page of your spouse’s current U.S. passport, or
    • Form FS-240, “Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America,” and

    5. Your current marriage certificate; and

    6. Proof of termination of all prior marriages of your spouse-divorce decree(s), annulment(s), or death certificate(s); and

    7. Documents referring to you and your spouse:
    • Tax returns, bank accounts, leases, mortgages, or birth certificates of children, or
    • Internal Revenue Service (IRS)-certified copies of the income tax forms that you both filed for the past three years, or
    • An IRS tax return transcript for the last three years.
    Please remember, if you are married to a US citizen applying on a 3 year residency and/or if you have divorced/remarried and/or have children you may need to send more documentation as needed.
    Last edited by McMahon; 8th July 2007, 02:59 AM.


    • #3
      i submitted
      2 photos with A#/name on back
      one check for $ 400 with A# on memo
      copy of front and back of GC


      • #4
        By the way submitting two checks is not a good idea. The USCIS may then cash the $330 check, send ou back the $70 check, then send you a notice telling you that you have not paid the $70. Lots of complications that could be avoided by attaching one single check to the application.


        • #5
          N-400 doc's question.
          I understand all the doc's that need to be attach with the N-400 form.
          I've been a resident for 17years. And been married with a US citizen for a year and 10 months. He was born in USA. Do I still need to send copies of his birth certificate, marriage certificate ?? I want verify the doc's that I need to send


          • #6
            Since you have not been married for 3 years with a US citizen, you are applying on the 5-year Legal Permanent Resident (LPR) basis.

            Consequently, according to the list of documents to submit, you would not need to attach to your N-400 such documents as Marriage Certificate or spouse's birth records.


            • #7

              Thanks for taking the time to answer?
              What documents do I need to take to the interview ?


              • #8
                Hey Maaa,

                If your case is straight forward you just need to take the following:

                Passport (old and new)
                green card
                driver's license
                two additional passport photos

                other documents you may want to have just in case:
                three pay stubs
                three bank statements
                three phone bills
                5 years of tax transcripts both state and federal (they are free)
                job verification letter
                if you are a male (which you are not) a copy of your selective service registration letter

                Here is a great link with this info!

                hope this helps!!
                LPR Since '86
                District Office: Los Angeles, CA
                06/30/07: Mail Date, CA CSC
                06/29/07: App'n Rc'd
                07/10/07: Check Cashed
                07/25/07: PN
                07/02/07: PD
                07/24/07: On-Line
                07/28/07: FP Notice
                08/21/07: FP Date
                02/01/08: Infopass[Cleared all checks 9/17/07]
                03/20/08: Int Letter Rc'd
                05/07/08: Int Date-Handed Form N652:Passed/Approved!
                07/16/08: Natz Oath Rc'd(Form N445)
                08/13/08: Natz Oath Date -U.S. Citizen 4pm!
                08/18/08: VR
                09/26/08: VR Rc'd
                09/18/08: PP Ap.(reg)
                09/26/08: PP Rc'd


                • #9
                  The letter will tell you to bring your passport, your GC and other immigration documents. There is a "sticky" posting that explains *all* that you might possibly bring. If you bring it all, drive a truck

                  Read your N-400 over again. For anything that looks like it might generate a question (trips, "yes" answers to one of the questions, etc), bring someting that proves your point or explains away whatever the IO might bring up.

                  Also bring your entire "N-400 File". Mine was several inches thick by the time I got to the interview.

                  Other that things that have changed (or that you have since found to be incorrect on the original form), don't volunteer any information unless the IO asks - never answer a question unless it is asked.

                  Good luck


                  • #10
                    Thanks to Jedi.Knight and FlyDog
                    Humm I never had a passport, I only traveled out of the country with my
                    green card and matricula.
                    I'm thinking the matricula might work too.
                    What do you people think.