Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I need to send Surrender Certificate ORIGINAL when I apply for OCI ?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Do I need to send Surrender Certificate ORIGINAL when I apply for OCI ?



    I'm going to mail my OCI documents and have a question...anyone can help me ASAP.

    Do I need to send the passport "Surrender Certificate" original or just xerox copy of that certificate?



    Thanks

  • #2
    Originally posted by RAM9999 View Post

    I'm going to mail my OCI documents and have a question...anyone can help me ASAP.

    Do I need to send the passport "Surrender Certificate" original or just xerox copy of that certificate?

    No original of any kind need be dispatched as supporting document or validation document. All self attested true copies. Do a basic search in this subforum.

    Comment


    • #3
      Hi All :

      Do I need to mail US Passport original when mailing documents for OCI ?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by RAM9999 View Post
        Hi All :

        Do I need to mail US Passport original when mailing documents for OCI ?
        For the initial OCI application submission, no. You just need to submit self attested copies of it along with all the other supporting docs. Once the OCI is approved and the official OCI visa and booklet arrive from India, then that is when you will need to mail your US passport to get the sticker affixed in it.
        JP

        My comments are only my opinions and are not legal advice.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by antonc View Post
          No original of any kind need be dispatched as supporting document or validation document. All self attested true copies. Do a basic search in this subforum.
          There is an exception to your statement. The PIO card (if applicable) needs to be mailed in original (as well as copy) along with the OCI app.

          06/04/2010 : SC Mailed to CG-NY
          07/23/2010 : SC Received
          ----------
          07/27/2010 : OCI Application Mailed
          07/28/2010 : USPS delivered at CG-NY
          08/25/2010 : Registration Status updated to UnderProcess
          09/01/2010 : Photo/Signature Scanned
          09/10/2010 : Registration Status Granted
          09/13/2010 : Documents Printed
          09/15/2010 : Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office
          09/20/2010 : Documents Received at New York CGI
          09/24/2010 : OCI Collected at CGI NY

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by koblu View Post
            There is an exception to your statement. The PIO card (if applicable) needs to be mailed in original (as well as copy) along with the OCI app.
            Oh ! OK, good to know; under what circumstances would someone get a PIO in the first place if OCI is available and they are eligible ? Money cannot be the answer. Because if some cannot spring for a couple of hundred bucks, then they cannot afford even to take a trip to India

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by antonc View Post
              Oh ! OK, good to know; under what circumstances would someone get a PIO in the first place if OCI is available and they are eligible ? Money cannot be the answer. Because if some cannot spring for a couple of hundred bucks, then they cannot afford even to take a trip to India
              PIO card is more expensive to get than an OCI and plus it's only valid for 15 years as opposed to lifetime. So I agree that in nearly all cases, it makes way more sense to get the OCI. The one edge case that I can think of is that a spouse (who has no Indian heritage whatsoever) can get PIO if he/she is married to someone of Indian heritage. Now why someone would not apply for a 10 year visitor visa instead is another question but there probably is some unique cases where it may make more sense getting a PIO than the visitor visa.
              JP

              My comments are only my opinions and are not legal advice.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by RAM9999 View Post
                Hi All :

                Do I need to mail US Passport original when mailing documents for OCI ?
                For some persons, it depends on which consulate you are applying at.... If you are in SFO, then you are required to provide your original US Passport.... based on the following link.... (Question 8 Item 5)
                http://www.cgisf.org/oc/OCI_FAQS.html

                All these consulates are very dynamic and fluid in their rules and instructions for OCI/SC...... Best to check the appropriate site for the latest and greatest rules before you mail your docs....

                Good luck,
                V!!

                Comment


                • #9
                  All,

                  For SFO, you need to have the original surrender certificate, Indian and the US passport along with the application.
                  They have given instruction on which document can be self attested when submitting the application.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by pmohanan View Post
                    All,

                    For SFO, you need to have the original surrender certificate, Indian and the US passport along with the application.
                    They have given instruction on which document can be self attested when submitting the application.
                    Move to NYC or CHI juridiction To have a US passport tied up for months is unacceptable to FF
                    Last edited by antonc; 27th July 2010, 04:19 PM. Reason: typo

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Hi,

                      If you renounced Indian citizenship, then you can apply for OCI. If the parenrs are Indian citizens, kids can get PIO only, not OCI. When parents want to emmigrate and renounce their Indian Citizenship, then kids can apply for OCI.

                      Regards.
                      Last edited by howdy.amigo; 27th July 2010, 06:28 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by howdy.amigo View Post
                        Hi,

                        If you renounced Indian citizenship, then you can apply for OCI. If the parenrs are Indian citizens, kids can get PIO only, not OCI. When parents want to emmigrate and renounce their Indian Citizenship, then kids can apply for OCI.

                        Regards.
                        Grandparent born in India---> grandchild eligible for OCI
                        Greatgrandparent born in India ---> greatgrandchild eligible for PIO
                        Parents both Indian citizen ----> Child is only eligible for PIO ?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I think the one situation where the USC child of two Indian parents can apply for OCI is after the child is no longer a minor (either 18 or 21, not sure) and therefore is applying on their own.
                          JP

                          My comments are only my opinions and are not legal advice.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X