Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Born India - hold OCI - Take IAS exam

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Born India - hold OCI - Take IAS exam

    Hi Friends,

    I was born in India. Present i am USA citizen holding OCI. I am studying 12 in India and targetting IAS after Engineering.
    I want to renounce USA citizenship if I get into IAS.
    Can i take the IAS exam and clear the exam and renounce USA citizenship.
    Please advise, my target is getting IAS and rennounce only after selecting as IAS, please let me know the process.

    Thank you,
    Karina

  • #2
    I suppose, you are not planning to get the US citizenship back after completing your studies? Because it will not be easy if you do not have any immediate relatives in the USA who can sponsor you.

    Renouncing the US citizenship is very easy (but not cheap) - you go to the US consulate, fill out the renunciation form, pay some $$$ and wait for the approval from the Department of State. I think it should not take more than a week.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by König View Post
      I suppose, you are not planning to get the US citizenship back after completing your studies? Because it will not be easy if you do not have any immediate relatives in the USA who can sponsor you.

      Renouncing the US citizenship is very easy (but not cheap) - you go to the US consulate, fill out the renunciation form, pay some $$$ and wait for the approval from the Department of State. I think it should not take more than a week.
      König

      Thanks for the reply. I think i did not get the answer. Can i take the IAS exam being USA citizen?, after i clear the exam i would like to renounce the USA citizenship to comply indian governament rules.
      Any advise will be more helpful.

      Krina

      Comment


      • #4
        Oci-ias

        IAS is open to Indian citizens only, by writing IAS exam while being a US citizen is not recommended. OCI is unfortunately only a visa category, not a citizenship. OCI living in India for 5 years bexomes eligible to apply for Indian citizenship, not an automatic process.
        Consult an attorney who specializes in criminal as well as immigration laws in India; Indian laws may be different when treating a candidate who fradulantly claims to be an Indian citizen. good luck!

        Konig,

        IAS is Indian Adminstrative Services (civil services), IAS officers may potentially impact/create policies that impact how state/federal government operates.
        Note : I am not a lawyer, Please don't treat my messages or posts as legal advise.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by olddude View Post
          IAS is open to Indian citizens only, by writing IAS exam while being a US citizen is not recommended. OCI is unfortunately only a visa category, not a citizenship. OCI living in India for 5 years bexomes eligible to apply for Indian citizenship, not an automatic process.
          Consult an attorney who specializes in criminal as well as immigration laws in India; Indian laws may be different when treating a candidate who fradulantly claims to be an Indian citizen. good luck!

          Konig,

          IAS is Indian Adminstrative Services (civil services), IAS officers may potentially impact/create policies that impact how state/federal government operates.
          Can you please suggest best lawyer?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by krishnatrk View Post
            König

            Thanks for the reply. I think i did not get the answer. Can i take the IAS exam being USA citizen?, after i clear the exam i would like to renounce the USA citizenship to comply indian governament rules.
            Any advise will be more helpful.

            Krina
            The Indian Administrative Services (IAS) Exam is one of the top examinations conducted by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) of India. It is strictly restricted to the Citizens of India alone. If at all you want to take up these exams you need to first renounce US citizenship ( which is quite an expensive process) and then become an Indian citizen. You need to have Indian citizenship even at the time of filing in your application for the exam.

            Comment

            Working...
            X